Game is very grainy

by ThatOneEdgyDud

Original Post

Game is very grainy

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Hello! I've been pulling my hair trying to fix this graphical issue I've been having ever since i installed the sims. For some odd reason, everything looks really grainy...I've tried everything. From changing the resolution to enabling and disabling uncompressed textures but nothing has worked so far! 

Message 1 of 4 (677 Views)

Re: Game is very grainy

@ThatOneEdgyDud  Does this only happen on darker-skinned sims, or is it also a problem on lighter-skinned sims?  There's a bug report for the darker skin tones looking blotchy; the problem isn't limited to PC either.  But if this is more global, or if non-sim textures are involved, there might be a different issue.

Your dxdiag also lists a number of errors related to your graphics driver or its software.  It's a good idea to do a clean uninstall of both drivers and then reinstall the newest ones offered by Acer for your laptop.  Download Display Driver Uninstaller from here:

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3202

Download the AMD VGA driver and VGA utility from Acer's download page for your laptop:

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/8033?b=1

If you want to double-check that you have the right page, you can instead enter your serial number here, then look for the AMD drivers.

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

Next, take your computer completely offline—disable wifi and/or pull the ethernet cord—and double-click the DDU.exe.  Take note of where the file will land, and click Extract.  If it's easier, you can copy the path and then paste it into the address bar in a File Explorer window.  Open the folder and then launch Display Driver Uninstaller.exe, and you'll get a message that you're not in Safe Mode.  Click OK, then go to Options and enable Safe Mode dialog.  Here's a screenshot of what your options should look like; make sure the box in red is checked:

DDU 1.1.png

Close options, and the DDU, and then open the DDU.exe again.  For launch options, choose "Safe Mode (Recommended)," and then click Reboot to Safe Mode (you'll need your password, so find it before rebooting).  Once you login, you'll see this:

DDU 2.png

In the blue box, choose GPU, then AMD if it's not already showing.  Then click Clean and Restart (red box).

Once your computer has rebooted, now back in normal mode, install the driver and the utility.  Reboot again, go back online, and see whether the game looks better.  If not, let me know, and run another dxdiag.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 4 (584 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to help with my graphic issue!

I've done all the steps you provided but nothing has really changed unfortunately, To be more specific with the issue I'm facing, everything seems to be "compressed" in a way, this also happens to all sims regardless of skin tone... It's as if I've disabled "uncompressed sim textures".

I'm not sure if this also has anything to do with it but, I tried running the sims as a administrator before and I noticed that when I got the prompt, It said the Sims 4 Legacy Edition instead of the normal version. I've checked origin and it doesn't say I'm running the legacy edition of the game. 

Message 3 of 4 (539 Views)

@ThatOneEdgyDud  The Legacy Edition part may be due to the .exe you're using to launch the game.  TS4.exe is for the Legacy Edition, and TS4_x64.exe is for the standard version.  Origin should launch the one you've chosen in Origin regardless, but you can check in the Main Menu, where you choose to load a save or start a new one: the version number is along the bottom of the screen.  If yours ends in .1020, you're in the standard version.

Your dxdiag doesn't have any new errors, which is good to see, although of course that doesn't mean your game is running how it should.  Please move your entire Sims 4 user data folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop.  Just to be thorough, repair the game in Origin: open your game library, right-click on the Sims 4 icon, and select Repair.

When you launch the game, a clean folder will spawn with no content.  (Your saves and other content will be in the folder you moved, intact but not read by the game.)  Don't change any settings at all initially; just have a look around.  If things still look grainy, please switch from fullscreen to windowed fullscreen and windowed modes, and see whether it makes any difference.  If it doesn't, disable post processing (but not any other settings), quit and relaunch, and try those three modes again.

If nothing helps, please take a couple more screenshots of the graininess in different situations and attach them to a post.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 4 of 4 (504 Views)