Game is crashing on Start Screen

by ivano003

Original Post

Game is crashing on Start Screen

★★★ Newbie

The game will crash after any option on the main menu is selected (New Game, Load Game, Settings). I'm playing on my boyfriend's account on my computer to see if I actually want to commit to and purchase the game. He said something about mods might be affecting it, but in the long run shouldn't because they are mods that he had on his own computer. What can I do?

Here are my specs:

AMD Ryzen 1700

Radeon RX 580

Driver Build: 19.5.2

Windows 10 Home 1903

He also told me to include this DxDiag thing.

Message 1 of 3 (251 Views)

Re: Game is crashing on Start Screen

@ivano003  There are a number of Sims 4 errors listing DirectX 9 as the issue.  So you can try reinstalling DirectX—just download the runtime from Microsoft.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

But the issue may be a recent Windows security update: KB4515384.  A number of players on Windows build 18362 (1903) have found that they're unable to launch their games unless they uninstall this update.  However, security updates exist for a reason, and uninstalling one is never recommended.

If you'd like to try troubleshooting in other ways, I can make some suggestions.  Let me know, and I'll list a few.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 3 (223 Views)

Re: Game is crashing on Start Screen

@ivano003  Some players have reported that RivaTuner Statistics Server was the problem, so please try disabling it or MSI Afterburner if you have either one running.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 3 of 3 (160 Views)