Re: Game freezes laptop

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Game freezes laptop

★★★★★ Novice

So whenever I open up the sims 4 it keeps crashing my computer to the point where I have to force restart. This has never happened before I have updated my graphics card, I have repaired the game via origins and I have also removed the electronic arts folder in order to create a new folder and it still happens. Please help!

Message 1 of 13 (461 Views)
Highlighted

@nko89  Please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en/help/faq/clear-cache-to-fix-problems-with-your-games/

Please also let me know whether you use OneDrive.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 13 (425 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Here is my DXDIAG report

Message 3 of 13 (419 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I have one drive installed but I’m not signed into it

Message 4 of 13 (417 Views)

@nko89  Please run a couple of basic checks on your Windows system files:

• Hit Windows key-X
  • Choose either “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator),” whichever option is offered
  • Inside the window that appears, copy and paste “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • The system will start validating soon. If it throws an error, please list it here
  • After it reaches 100%, hit Windows key-X again
  • Again, choose “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator)”
  • Inside the window, copy and paste “sfc /scannow” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • Post the message you receive here

Restart your computer, hit Windows key-i, select Update & Security, and click the button to check for updates.  If any install, restart again afterwards.

Now try to play.  If you get another freeze, try playing while your computer is offline.  You can sign into Origin and put it in offline mode, then disable wifi and/or disconnect the ethernet cable before pressing Play.

If that doesn't help either, please look for new errors in the Reliability Monitor.  Hit Windows key-R and enter "perfmon /rel" without quotes.  You'll see a list of errors and updates, with a column for each day.  (Today is all the way on the right.)

For any errors that mention Origin or Sims 4 from after you run DISM and sfc, click "View technical details," then copy the information and paste it into a reply here.  Sometimes the Reliability Monitor doesn't update right away, so if you don't see any related errors, be sure to check back an hour or two.  The timestamp on the initial chart can also be off by up to an hour, so that's not an entirely reliable metric, but the one within the technical details should be accurate.

Message 5 of 13 (405 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Whenever i put in the DISM command it says error 740

Message 6 of 13 (400 Views)

@nko89  That error means PowerShell doesn't have sufficient permissions to run the scan, which happens if you open the regular version of PowerShell.  Please make sure to open the one with "(Administrator)" in its name.

Message 7 of 13 (364 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

My game decided to do an update and it’s still doing the same thing I ran a scan now on command prompt and said there was no issues 

Message 8 of 13 (352 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I also opened power shell through administrator as well and still wouldn’t let me scan 

Message 9 of 13 (350 Views)

@nko89  Did you manage to run DISM before sfc?  The order is important: if DISM doesn't run to completion, sfc might not fix anything.

If DISM doesn't work, then you may need to do a repair install of Windows.  This doesn't need to erase your data; the goal is to get a fresh Windows, which you can do while preserving your apps and files.  Instructions are here:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

If you get to step 13 and are NOT asked whether you want to keep your personal files, back out and start over.

Message 10 of 13 (331 Views)