Re: Game crashing right after I accidentally deleted user presets package

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Game crashing right after I accidentally deleted user presets package

★★ Novice

I accidentally deleted the user presets package and now my game won't even start up anymore. It just says unable to run this game. I literally played 3 hours ago and shut it down so I could do my chores I came back to delete the package in the files and I accidentally had the user presets package deleted with the other ones. That's the only thing that's changed within the three hours. Is there somewhere where I can re-install that file? Thank you

Message 1 of 8 (616 Views)

Accepted Solution
Highlighted

@afisher4747  Userpresets.package shouldn't have any effect on whether the game starts or not.  It just stores any styles you've saved using the Create a Style tool.  And it should be recreated the next time you save a recolor.  I take it you can't recover the file with the others though?  It would at least be an easy test.

If you can't get the file back though, please move your entire Sims 3 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop.  When you launch the game, if it gets far enough to open the launcher, a clean folder will spawn with no content.  (Your saves and other content will be intact in the folder you moved but temporarily not read by the game.)  Let me know whether you can get far enough to start a new save, and if you can, try copying over one of your existing saves and try loading that.

If the game still won't load, please take a screenshot of the error and attach it to a reply.  Please run a dxdiag and attach it as well.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 8 (605 Views)

All Replies
Highlighted

@afisher4747  Userpresets.package shouldn't have any effect on whether the game starts or not.  It just stores any styles you've saved using the Create a Style tool.  And it should be recreated the next time you save a recolor.  I take it you can't recover the file with the others though?  It would at least be an easy test.

If you can't get the file back though, please move your entire Sims 3 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop.  When you launch the game, if it gets far enough to open the launcher, a clean folder will spawn with no content.  (Your saves and other content will be intact in the folder you moved but temporarily not read by the game.)  Let me know whether you can get far enough to start a new save, and if you can, try copying over one of your existing saves and try loading that.

If the game still won't load, please take a screenshot of the error and attach it to a reply.  Please run a dxdiag and attach it as well.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Message 2 of 8 (606 Views)

★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict I took out the folder and uninstalled and reinstalled all the games. Finally it worked! Now I have to try to move over the saved game. Thank you!!! I will try when I get back home.
Message 3 of 8 (578 Views)

★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict I am trying to move my downloads back into the new game and it continues to say Sims 3 has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available it won't let me download anything now.
Message 4 of 8 (570 Views)

@afisher4747  Are you trying to move files from Downloads, or from somewhere else?  The .Sims3Packs in Downloads don't need to be there after they're installed, so you could skip those if you wanted.  But it's interesting that adding content to the Sims 3 folder causes the same error.

Does it also happen if you copy over something else, for example one of your saves?  If so, please take your computer offline and try again, just to see whether it makes a difference.

Message 5 of 8 (565 Views)

★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict I was trying to move the sims3pack files. It would not let me. I could only redownload them 1 by 1. I did move a copy of my save over and it worked , minus all the cc that I had. I will be spending the next several days downloading the cc. I have not tried to move over any package files yet. I will have to get a new mods folder for that. Thank you!
Message 6 of 8 (540 Views)

★★ Novice

I moved over my saved game and I moved over all my downloads and mods and this is what it does. It won't even let me start the game up it gets as far as the back into the future loading screen and then it shuts down. I did this 64 dxdiag thing like you said. I have no idea what the problem is I don't know how to find error codes or anything like that. This is the only thing it says.

Message 7 of 8 (499 Views)

@afisher4747  Please start over with another clean folder, except this time, don't move over your mods or your downloads.  Just copy over a couple saves and see whether they open.  If they don't, I'd like to see the dxdiag.  It's not a fix, just a way of gathering information on the problem.  Please run a new one and attach it to a post.

Message 8 of 8 (486 Views)