Re: Game crashing after update

by deejo77

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Game crashing after update

★★★ Novice
  1. I never had any issues before the update and now I have extended loading, lags, and crashes EVERYTIME I start the game. 

I have all the packs except Baatu and no CC. 

Havent been able to play since the “patch”

Message 1 of 10 (433 Views)

Accepted Solution

@deejo77  There are plenty of guides for using mods, although it's pretty simple: find a mod you like, make sure it's updated for the newest patch, download said mod, put it in Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\Mods, no more than one subfolder deep.

However, that doesn't seem to be your issue.  Your dxdiag reports a problem with the graphics card, and the laptop is using the Basic Display Driver instead.  That would be enough to cause massive lag in anyone's game.  There are also a number of errore relating to the graphics driver.  So the place to start is by updating the driver; you can get the newest one from Nvidia here:

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/137939/en-us

Restart after installing and before trying to play.  If you still get lag, please run another dxdiag.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 9 of 10 (311 Views)

All Replies

@deejo77  Is this your issue?

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/CURRENT-ISSUE-Game-Freeze-Extended-Loading-Times-Save-Game/td-...

One obvious symptom is bloated save files, e.g. your normal saves are ~30 MB and your newest ones are ~200 MB.  You can look in Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\saves and sort by date modified.

If this is in fact your issue, let me know, and I'll merge your post with that thread.  You can keep an eye on it for updates, or if you don't mind using mods, try this:

https://sims4.crinrict.com/eng/2020/11/game-time-is-freezing-patch-1-68/

Message 2 of 10 (413 Views)

★★★ Novice

Okay. Am I deleting the old ones then??

Message 3 of 10 (400 Views)

@deejo77  Are you deleting your saves?  Not necessarily.  You have a few different options here:

• Put aside your save files and wait for a fix from EA
  • Delete the newer bloated save files, revert to an older version, and cancel Winterfest before it happens (you may want to preserve the bloated saves anyway, just in case)
  • Revert to an older save and use the one mod mentioned in Crinrict's blog post that prevents the error
  • Keep the newest save files and use both mods Crin mentions, to fix the issue and prevent it from recurring

Any of these approaches is valid.  It's really your choice what you want to do.  If you don't like playing with mods in general, you could take them out again after fixing your current save and getting through Winterfest, and you should be fine.

Message 4 of 10 (382 Views)

★★★ Novice

I erased and started over. The loading issue is solved, but the games STILL lags.  UGH...so annoying. 

Message 5 of 10 (367 Views)

@deejo77  Maybe there's another issue going on.  Please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post, so I can take a look.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Message 6 of 10 (363 Views)

★★★ Novice

thank you.  its attached

Message 7 of 10 (341 Views)

★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict Ive never used a MOD in my 19 yrs of Simming. Is there a step-by-step??
Message 8 of 10 (340 Views)

@deejo77  There are plenty of guides for using mods, although it's pretty simple: find a mod you like, make sure it's updated for the newest patch, download said mod, put it in Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\Mods, no more than one subfolder deep.

However, that doesn't seem to be your issue.  Your dxdiag reports a problem with the graphics card, and the laptop is using the Basic Display Driver instead.  That would be enough to cause massive lag in anyone's game.  There are also a number of errore relating to the graphics driver.  So the place to start is by updating the driver; you can get the newest one from Nvidia here:

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/137939/en-us

Restart after installing and before trying to play.  If you still get lag, please run another dxdiag.

Message 9 of 10 (312 Views)

★★★ Novice

That was it!! Games works fine!!! THANKS SO MUCH!!!

Message 10 of 10 (284 Views)