Re: Game crashes immediately after opening

by MahouSims

Original Post

Game crashes immediately after opening

★★★ Novice

Hello! I just got a new computer. I installed the Sims 4 as usual, opened it, turned off the volume, put it in windowed mode, went ahead and enabled script mods, and then closed the game. I downloaded default replacement skin and eyes, and tried to open the game to see if I liked them. It gave me a black screen for a couple seconds, said that the Sims 4 stopped working, and closed itself. I removed the cc, tried again, and it still wouldn't work. I repaired the game, put the cc back in since that wasn't the issue, and it worked fine. I decided to use another default replacement skin instead, so I closed the game, removed the old one, added the new one, and it's doing the same thing now where it says that the sims 4 stopped working a couple seconds after I try to launch it. I then went through the process of removing the cc, trying it, repairing it with cc, trying it, repairing it without cc, trying it, and nothing worked. I also tried launching in full screen mode, and that didn't help any, either. Any ideas on how to get my game working?

Message 1 of 4 (347 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

@MahouSims

With adding and removing the custom content, did you delete the game cache and the localthumbcache.package from the Sims 4 folder to help with troubleshooting.

How to Delete Cache Files
https://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/delete-cache-files/

Launch the game again and try a new save to test.

Message 2 of 4 (315 Views)

★★★ Novice

I just did! The only one that was there was localthumbcache, probably because the game hasn't been open any longer than what it takes me to get into CAS, so far.

Message 3 of 4 (301 Views)

★★ Pro

@MahouSims

You might be trying to use outdated custom content then?

Custom content can become outdated with most new game patches. If the game works when the Mods folder is removed, then one or more of the mods and/or custom content has become outdated and will need to be removed or replaced. EA/Maxis aren't responsible for broken mods/cc. It's up to the creators to fix.

To fix mods and custom content try the 50/50 method:

1. Move all the mods and cc out into a temporary folder on the desktop.
2. Move a few files back at a time. Load the game to make sure it loads and everything is good.
3. Delete the localthumbcache.package from the Sims 4 folder.
4. Repeat steps 1 - 3 till there is no more files to check.

** While your testing, don't save the game. If you find any problems, delete the mod or custom content file.

How To Find Problem Mods and CC - http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS4_Finding_Problem_Custom_Content

Message 4 of 4 (267 Views)