Re: Game becomes laggy in the middle of gameplay

by IceeyEra

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Game becomes laggy in the middle of gameplay

★★★ Novice

Hello there. So I just really started playing the sims 4 seriously a few days ago. I have a problem though where a few minutes into gameplay( it is kinda random when) my game becomes laggy as if it was running on like 30fps or something. It sometimes goes away after 2mins, sometimes way more. But it is unplayable like that. In general the game runs smoothly. I should also mention my pc is a laptop with dual graphics card. The CPU has Vega Mobile Gfx integrated graphics.

Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5300U

GPU:Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 3GB 

RAM: 16GB 3200MHz DDR4

Message 1 of 27 (1,105 Views)

Accepted Solution

@IceeyEra  Try setting your system to always use the dedicated graphics card for Sims 4.  This should happen by default, but it's easy enough to force the setting.  Hit Windows key-i, select System > Display, and click Graphics settings.  Under Graphics performance preference, make sure "Desktop app" is selected, click Browse, and add TS4_x64.exe.  Then click Options, choose the high performance setting, and save.  Restart your computer before playing.

By the way, please only play with the laptop plugged in.  Not only will playing on battery drain the battery quickly, Windows may override any settings you've implemented and try to conserve power anyway.

If you still get fps drops, try playing in a clean boot, with no internet connection, just to see if there's something else in the background interfering with Sims 4.  Here's how to do a clean boot:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clean-boot-windows-10

When you reboot, open the Task Manager and go through the background processes list, disabling anything that isn't absolutely critical.  Don't open any other programs, even ones you may normally use while playing, e.g. Discord.  Sign into Origin, put it in offline mode, and disable wifi or disconnect your ethernet cable before launching Sims 4.

I'm not saying you need to play like this going forward, just that it's a helpful test.  Let me know whether it makes a difference.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 4 of 27 (1,041 Views)

All Replies

@IceeyEra  Is there any pattern to when the framerates drop: a certain time of day, a certain lot that gets loaded, etc.?  For example, many people notice a slowdown when the weekly NAP voting period is closed.

Please also run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Message 2 of 27 (1,077 Views)

★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict as in certain times of day, no there doesn't seem to be a pattern, and atm I only play w one family in one lot. The save is about a week old, and like this 'lag' is like if smth has like 60fps in general, but then that drops to half. It also seems to fix itself after a while. Other than these 'lag' moments my gameplay is very smooth so yeah

Message 3 of 27 (1,066 Views)

@IceeyEra  Try setting your system to always use the dedicated graphics card for Sims 4.  This should happen by default, but it's easy enough to force the setting.  Hit Windows key-i, select System > Display, and click Graphics settings.  Under Graphics performance preference, make sure "Desktop app" is selected, click Browse, and add TS4_x64.exe.  Then click Options, choose the high performance setting, and save.  Restart your computer before playing.

By the way, please only play with the laptop plugged in.  Not only will playing on battery drain the battery quickly, Windows may override any settings you've implemented and try to conserve power anyway.

If you still get fps drops, try playing in a clean boot, with no internet connection, just to see if there's something else in the background interfering with Sims 4.  Here's how to do a clean boot:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clean-boot-windows-10

When you reboot, open the Task Manager and go through the background processes list, disabling anything that isn't absolutely critical.  Don't open any other programs, even ones you may normally use while playing, e.g. Discord.  Sign into Origin, put it in offline mode, and disable wifi or disconnect your ethernet cable before launching Sims 4.

I'm not saying you need to play like this going forward, just that it's a helpful test.  Let me know whether it makes a difference.

Message 4 of 27 (1,042 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hi, I changed the graphics the game should always use to the dedicated card and I had a pretty long gameplay session with no "random lag" so maybe hopefully this should be fixed! And ye I only play with the laptop plugged in, since when not plugged I drop about 30fps even though I costumized my power plan so that shouldn't be the instance anymore. By the way, based on the specs I've posted, what settings should I be running the game on?

Message 5 of 27 (1,023 Views)

@IceeyEra  That's great to hear.  It's possible that Windows is assigning your integrated graphics chip to Sims 4 from time to time, and taking the option away helps.  This could be because the game's graphics or energy demands briefly drop, or for some other reason I'm not thinking of right now, but forcing high performance is simple and shouldn't cause problems for your laptop.

The Nvidia 1050 mobile is the lowest-level card that should be able to run all current Sims 4 packs on ultra settings.  But that's theoretical, not actual, performance.  If you install high-resolution custom content, that's more demanding than EA-made objects and may necessitate turning down a couple of settings; conversely, if you don't have all the expansion packs installed, you may have more of a buffer.

The nice thing is, you can use framerates as a stand-in for performance and adjust accordingly.  If it's routinely dropping past the point you'd like to see, not these random large drops but say consistently running at 40 fps on certain lots or in certain situations, turn down a setting and see how things go.  If you're happy with the framerates you get on ultra settings, keep using them.  Post processing is one setting you may want to disable though: it feels like excessive blurriness to me and it does often come with a noticeable fps drop.

In your position, I'd also manually cap fps, either with the vertical sync setting (if you play in fullscreen) or with an outside tool.  Let me know if you need help setting this up.  It will lower the workload on your graphics card, which even if not strictly necessary will lower the laptop's internal temperatures, and that's always a good thing.  You could also use a tool like GPU-Z to monitor the card's temperature, although above 80º it should significantly throttle on its own.  The same goes for CPU-Z and the processor, although the CPU usually wouldn't throttle until the mid-90s.

Point is, you should be fine on at least a mix of high and ultra settings, and feel free to play with the various options to see what you get.

Message 6 of 27 (1,017 Views)

★★★ Novice

ok hi, i was quick to judge. The game did the same thing, this time after a 5h gameplay session (kinda had a free day today xd). It's so weird because when I save, the ui is not laggy and I've had the game before and it's never done this. I play with all expansion packs with medium/high settings. That doesn't bother me. Playing in offline mode really wouldn't be convenient since I am a computer sciences student who does programming on the side so I kinda need to keep discord open for that. As soon as i quit and re-enter the game the issue is not there anymore. Just wish I knew what this was. And I've limited fps, I always do since my laptop is not the best of the best so the frames can be very not consistent in some games. I do monitor the temps. The GPU has never reached 80. I didn't think I'd ever enjoy this game enough to play it for hours, but with the help of mods, this game gets some life. I've checked the task manager tho and it seems to be fine with no un-needed processes. Could this be a VRAM issue?

Message 7 of 27 (1,000 Views)

@IceeyEra  Five hours of quality play in one session is impressive, and if that's how long it took for the game to slow down, a lot of people would accept needing to quit and restart at that point as an overall good outcome.  But if you're curious as to why this is happening, and maybe want to learn some interesting stuff, I have a suggestion:

https://www.hwinfo.com/download/

I often run hwinfo when I'm playing games, and always if it's a demanding game, just to see how my system is performing overall.  It takes hardly any resources and will track pretty much every value it can find.  So when you see a slowdown, you might indeed notice that your GPU's VRAM is maxed out and it's (presumably) borrowing from main memory.  Or you might see that the page file is being used, or used more than normal, suggesting that perhaps some game data is being swapped.  Or maybe there's a suspicious spike in some other value.

You can also log a play session if you want; the log file is in .csv format and can be opened in Excel or any similar program.  It's kind of fun to look at overall use and see what changed as you played.  For example, I can usually tell from the log not only when someone launched Sims 4 but when they were in CAS versus live play.  Even if you don't want to get too much into the details though, this should at least answer your question about VRAM.

Message 8 of 27 (990 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Novice

Oh yeah. I used to have HWInfo but had to reset my laptop cause the system got messed up so I haven't installed many things I used to have back. I used to leave HWInfo open at all times while playing demanding games and the CPU temps in my laptop were going to 80 when plugged and I got everything out of the way and it ended up being "turbo core" (equivalent of intel's turbo boost). But tbf idk, I think it's just a game thing. At least this issue is less annoying than seeing my sims grab the dishes and put them back on the table and having to do it 3 times (I'd drag and drop but scout badges). Anyways thanks for your help!

Message 9 of 27 (981 Views)

★★ Guide

Hello, I replied yesterday to this thread but apparently my message didn't go through...

I have this issue as well. I downloaded and installed Backyard Stuff for the first time a few days ago and since then I experience a lag in my game. By now I found out that switching between build and live mode causes a lag. To solve a lag, I need to click the main menu. As soon as that pops up, the lag disappears. Same in CAS, if there is a lag and I open the main menu, close it again, then CAS will be smooth.

Is there a fix for this, or can I -alternatively- remove only the Backyard Stuff pack? Although I quite like it...

Thanks in advance for your kind assistance. Standard smile

Message 10 of 27 (784 Views)