Re: Game Wont Launch

by roberta591

Original Post

Game Wont Launch

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

I've tried to follow some steps for troubleshooting but I'm struggling to find a solution.

Game was working fine and all of sudden now just freezes with a blank screen.  I have to restart my computer to do anything again.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling.

I have tried repairing.

I have tried dragging Sims 4 document folder to dekstop.

I have updated drivers

Still won't launch. 

Message 1 of 7 (363 Views)

@narni30  Please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 7 (331 Views)

★★ Apprentice

I started having a similar problem this morning. I select the game and it just opens Origin, I select Play from Origin and Origin goes away and then pops back up.

I've removed anything downloaded in the last 24 hours and then my mods folder entirely and no luck. 

I've repaired the game and uninstalled and reinstalled. 

The game was working just fine 12 hours ago so I'm confused.

Message 3 of 7 (294 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@reyorganas It looks like Windows 11 is trying to update. I recommend you try Windows update. Did the game ever run on this laptop? Did you check to see if .net framework is enabled in turn Windows features on or off in the comtrol panel?

Message 4 of 7 (288 Views)

@reyorganas  Please try playing in a clean user folder: move the entire Sims 4 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop.  When you launch the game, if it launches, a clean folder will spawn with no content.  Don't add anything to that folder yet; just see whether you can get far enough to start a new save and play in live mode for a bit.

Your dxdiag also lists a couple of crashes of a component of Windows's audio service.  That could be due to a problem with Windows itself (unlikely) or an audio driver.  If the above doesn't help, please run a couple of basic checks on your Windows system files:

• Hit Windows key-X
  • Choose either “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Windows Terminal (Administrator),” whichever option is offered
  • Inside the window that appears, copy and paste “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” without quotes, and enter
  • The system will start validating soon. If it throws an error, please list it here
  • After it reaches 100%, hit Windows key-X again
  • Again, choose “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Windows Terminal (Administrator)”
  • Inside the window, copy and paste “sfc /scannow” without quotes, and enter
  • Post the message you receive here

Restart your computer, hit Windows key-i, select Update & Security, and click the box to check for updates.  If any install, restart again afterwards.

Next, hit Windows key-X and choose the Device Manager.  Expand the Audio tab, click on each entry in turn, and click the black and green Update menu button.  Repeat for the entries under Sound.  Windows probably won't find any updates for most devices, which is fine; the point is to force it to look.  When you're done, restart your computer and try again to play.

Message 5 of 7 (268 Views)

★ Novice

attached thanks

Message 6 of 7 (255 Views)

@narni30  Please run DISM and sfc, as described in the post immediately above yours.  Next, do a clean uninstall and reinstall of the Nvidia graphics driver, as described here:

https://crinrict.com/blog/2019/02/clean-re-install-of-graphics-drivers-with-display-driver-uninstall...

When reinstalling, start with the newest driver Acer offers for your laptop:

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/9009?b=1

Even though the drivers for each graphics card are listed separately, they're all the same version (no idea why Acer did this).  For now, don't install GeForce Experience; you can add it later if you want.  If you get the same error with the Acer-provided driver, you can install the newest one from Nvidia instead:

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/192968/en-us/

Restart after installing the driver and before trying to play.

Message 7 of 7 (249 Views)