Game Shutting down

by Caturra75

Original Post

Re: Game Shutting down

@Caturra75  Okay, so if it happened during the updates, it may be completely unrelated.  Of course it could be another underlying symptom of the same problem, but that's not at all clear.

I edited my earlier post to ask for an hwinfo log, but maybe you didn't see it.  This would give a report on your hardware, every sensor available to the system.  It's definitely worth checking.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 21 of 41 (670 Views)

★ Apprentice
@puzzlezaddict Here it is: https://gofile.io/d/JJ9WSV

This time I was able to play a bit more and had to travel 3 ou 4 times until the crash happens.

Thank you
Message 22 of 41 (656 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Caturra75  Thanks for the hwinfo log; it was quite illuminating.  The first thing to note is that your processor runs very hot, each core fluctuating between 70 and 90° C for most of the time you're playing.  This isn't necessarily an issue, since the critical temperature is 100°.  The CPU thermal throttles just a bit here and there, which it should do to protect itself, but it doesn't hit its max, and it doesn't look like overall performance is affected much.  So while it's possible for these kinds of temperatures to cause crashes, I would guess this isn't the cause.

That's not to say the temps don't matter.  It's a good idea to take steps to help cool the laptop while you play: point a fan at it, elevate it (use a laptop tray or put books or something under the corners), or get a cooling pad.  It would also be a good idea to open the laptop and have a look at the fans, if you're comfortable doing so.  There are plenty of guides on YouTube for opening and cleaning any given laptop, so you can have a look and decide whether it's something you'd be willing to try.

Interestingly, the graphics card temperatures are totally fine.

What I think is more likely to be causing your crashes is your system running out of memory.  While 8 GB RAM is enough for Sims 4 and Windows, it looks like there's something else using too much memory while you play.  In fact, your computer is using a lot more memory than I'd expect even before you launch the game: out of 8 GB installed, the system only has 3.5 GB available to begin with.  And that drops under 1 GB for most of the play session:

RAM available.png

You can see that virtual memory available drops to zero towards the end, I'm guessing right when the game crashes:

virtual memory.png

Did you run the test with other apps open, and if so, which ones?  Windows normally manages memory better than this, although RAM-related crashes are not an uncommon problem in Sims 4.  Have you ever manually changed any settings related to virtual memory or the page file?  An artificial limit could prevent Windows from allocating the resources it otherwise would.

Otherwise, if you restart your computer and don't open any apps at all aside from hwinfo, what does it report for physical and virtual memory available?  You don't have to log another session; just let hwinfo run for a couple of minutes with nothing else open, then screenshot the first category of readings, stopping at page file usage.  If it's higher than 2 GB, please look through the Task Manager for any apps using a lot of memory.  You might have a few starting with Windows (maybe even something from HP), and disabling those when you play could help.

I'm still asking for a second opinion though (again), in case I'm missing something important.

Edit:  Apparently I left out something important.  To clarify, are you still testing in a clean user data folder?  If not, was this test in an existing save or a new one?  How much custom content do you use, in GB (if any); and approximately how many mods do you have?

Message 23 of 41 (635 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi   @Caturra75 I am the second opinion. Wink

This is HWInfo result shows as @puzzlezaddict rightly said, clearly why the game is crashing. 

Now we have to find out why this happens.

• Please preform a clean boot.
  • Start HWinfo to log as explained by puzzle before.
  • Play the game for 20 minutes or until it crashes.
  • Load up the log file.

Then:

• Press the windows key and "R" at the same time.
  • Copy and paste "sysdm.cpl" (Without the quotes) into the new Window > ENTER
  • Go to the "Advanced" Tab > Under "Performance", click "Settings" > Go again to the "Advanced" tab.
  • Under "Virtual memory" > select "Change"
  • If "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives" is set, uncheck it.
  • Select the Windows system drive > Select "Custom size"
  • Change "Initial size value" to "16384".
  • Change "Maximum size value" to "16384".
  • Apply = OK.
  • Restart the System.
  • Play the game.

It should take considerably more time before the system crashes. 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 24 of 41 (612 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

@puzzlezaddict

There was a few apps that automatically opens by starting Windows, those were the only ones runing. Anti-Virus, Steam, Discord and Origin (I think the only ones).
And yes, sometimes I can feel my laptop getting really hot.
I deleted all my save files when I reinstal Sims 4 and Origin.
I haven't tried CC or modes in Sims 4 yet... because of this issue. I have only downloaded 2 sims and a house from gallery.

Message 25 of 41 (571 Views)

★ Apprentice
@holger1405 Hey there, and thank you for the help.

So, I was able to play the game for the time period you asked me to, and I didnt get any crash... I traveled a lot and used fas foward many times.

https://gofile.io/d/Un4gv6

About the second thing, I was not able to do it, it gave me an error, please take a look: https://imgur.com/a/N4F6qIw

I really have no idea how to translate that because Is tecnical stuff...
Message 26 of 41 (565 Views)

@Caturra75 

That was my fault, leave the dot (see edit above) out and it will work. Oops

But please wait until @puzzlezaddict or I get back to you, because you could play inside the clean boot without crash I like to check the hwinfo log first.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 27 of 41 (535 Views)

@Caturra75  Please open the Task Manager's Startup tab and see what's listed.  Please take a screenshot of what's listed.  For any app you don't absolutely need running, select it and click Disable.  Then restart your computer and see whether the game crashes.  Also, if it's not on the list, please let me know what antivirus you're running.

It may be that one of the startup apps is taking too much memory even when you're not using it.  Shutting everything down could be enough, although testing is the only way to find out.  You can always open apps like Discord and Steam when you need them, but they don't need to be running while you're playing Sims 4.

Message 28 of 41 (522 Views)

★ Apprentice
@puzzlezaddict

Here it is: https://imgur.com/a/3lXo75X

I already disabled all start-up apps.
The antivirus that I use is Avast.
Do you still want me to do the process that Holger1405 told me about?

Thanks to both of you.
Message 29 of 41 (503 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Caturra75  Please screenshot the contents of the Arranque tab in the Task Manager, so we can see what's there.  Even if you've disabled everything listed, it would be good to know what might have been causing problems.

Edit:  So now having looked at the screenshots on my computer rather than my phone, and being able to see more than the first part of the first screenshot, it turns out you're running two antivirus programs at the same time.  McAfee can cause problems all on its own, but even more so when it's running alongside another antivirus and fighting for control, although in fairness this is true for most of these apps.  If you're not actively using it, please uninstall McAfee and clean out its files.  You can find directions on the McAfee site; it's best to use the uninstall tool described in Method 2:

(This link is very long.)

Then the question becomes whether that alone is enough, or whether you'll still need to disable the other apps on startup to play Sims 4 without trouble.  Avast also has periods where it doesn't get along with Origin games, and then it goes back to working, although it usually prevents the game from running entirely rather than just eating RAM.  Still, if Sims 4 crashes with Avast and nothing else running, you could try disabling it temporarily, just to see.

The point is, you can go in order, testing after each step to see whether Sims 4 runs normally.  First get rid of McAfee, then disable other startup apps, then try without Avast, even if you're going to reenable it later.  The approach Holger1405 recommended would be the next step if nothing else prevented the crashes.  It's better, under normal circumstances, to let Windows manage these settings, and only intervene if necessary.  So that's why he's suggesting you try other steps first.

Message 30 of 41 (497 Views)