by Plumbeeb

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Game Launcher Issues

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

Game version: 1.69.43.024017

I do not use custom content.

I'm having a couple of issues with the Sims 3 launcher.

Firstly, there's a script error message that I can't seem to fix even after following the steps in the article below:

Reset Internet Explorer settings:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/reset-ie-settings#ie=ie-11

My second issue is store content and pack content does not remain installed. Each time I close the game launcher, everything that I have installed no longer appears on the 'Installed Content' tab when I open the launcher again. I was redirected to this article:

Clearing Origin cache:

https://help.ea.com/en-gb/help/faq/clear-cache-to-fix-problems-with-your-games/

Third issue is to do with a world bundle that I bought. I had no issues installing and playing the first time around, but now there's an error message saying my game needs a software update. I'm not really sure what this means, I thought the Sims 3 was no longer updated since the Sims 4 was released.

I've searched online as best as I could to try and find a fix but don't seem to be getting anywhere. Any other suggestions would be great!

Message 1 of 11 (1,210 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Game Launcher Issues

@Plumbeeb  The first issue has been going on for a little while now.  I don't get it in macOS and haven't tested in Windows, but there's a thread on the subject here:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/967695/script-error-to-do-with-facebook-on-sims-3-launch...

I'll ask if anyone has updates on the issue, but that might take a couple of days.  In the meantime, it seems like people can still play, and it's safe to ignore the message.

For the other issues, it sounds like your store content install is corrupted.  Given how many ways this could happen, the easiest approach is probably to install everything from scratch, in a clean folder.  (By the way, the message about making sure you have the latest store updates is just part of the launcher's generic error message when something doesn't install correctly; on patch 1.69, you have those updates by definition.)

Pull your entire Sims 3 game folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop.  Open the launcher to spawn a clean folder.  Then download just one small store item, install it, and start a new save to see whether it appears in your game.  (No need to save your progress.)  If it works, install one world, with nothing else, and test again.  Make sure to also test the premium item(s) that come with the world; you'll see them listed on the world's product page as separate entries.

If everything looks right, you can go ahead and download and install the rest of your content in small batches—no more than six items at a time.  Worlds are large files and should be handled separately, not in a batch with anything else.  When you're done, test again in a new save.  If the content still works, you can move your saves and other files you want to keep from your old game folder to the new one.  Here's a complete list of those files, along with explanations:

https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/01/faq-user-files.html

Be sure to delete the five cache files from your new game folder as well, since you'll be adding "new" content from your old game folder.

• CASPartCache.package
  • compositorCache.package
  • scriptCache.package
  • simCompositorCache.package
  • socialCache.package
——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 4 of 11 (1,146 Views)

All Replies

Hero (Retired)

@Plumbeeb Do you have Origin installed? Do you have the Steam version? Is TS3 game registered to Origin?

Message 2 of 11 (1,185 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Sorry I forgot to provide that info.

I do have Origin installed and the game is registered to Origin. The base game and extra content are all digital copies.

Message 3 of 11 (1,163 Views)

@Plumbeeb  The first issue has been going on for a little while now.  I don't get it in macOS and haven't tested in Windows, but there's a thread on the subject here:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/967695/script-error-to-do-with-facebook-on-sims-3-launch...

I'll ask if anyone has updates on the issue, but that might take a couple of days.  In the meantime, it seems like people can still play, and it's safe to ignore the message.

For the other issues, it sounds like your store content install is corrupted.  Given how many ways this could happen, the easiest approach is probably to install everything from scratch, in a clean folder.  (By the way, the message about making sure you have the latest store updates is just part of the launcher's generic error message when something doesn't install correctly; on patch 1.69, you have those updates by definition.)

Pull your entire Sims 3 game folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop.  Open the launcher to spawn a clean folder.  Then download just one small store item, install it, and start a new save to see whether it appears in your game.  (No need to save your progress.)  If it works, install one world, with nothing else, and test again.  Make sure to also test the premium item(s) that come with the world; you'll see them listed on the world's product page as separate entries.

If everything looks right, you can go ahead and download and install the rest of your content in small batches—no more than six items at a time.  Worlds are large files and should be handled separately, not in a batch with anything else.  When you're done, test again in a new save.  If the content still works, you can move your saves and other files you want to keep from your old game folder to the new one.  Here's a complete list of those files, along with explanations:

https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/01/faq-user-files.html

Be sure to delete the five cache files from your new game folder as well, since you'll be adding "new" content from your old game folder.

• CASPartCache.package
  • compositorCache.package
  • scriptCache.package
  • simCompositorCache.package
  • socialCache.package

Message 4 of 11 (1,147 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Thank you for the help! I've managed to get things working again.

I'm not sure if this is noteworthy at all, but I noticed that when I downloaded store content or a world (in this case it was Midnight Hollow) from the store page where you can purchase it from, it appears that the install is corrupted and I have the same issues I was describing before. However, if I download the same world from the 'Purchase History' tab, it installs just fine.

Message 5 of 11 (1,136 Views)

@Plumbeeb  That's really helpful to know, thanks.  I mostly download from my purchase history, but when that doesn't work for people, I send them to the product page.  I haven't had trouble with other worlds, but I think those may have been the standard editions, with correspondingly less content.  I do own Midnight Hollow though, so I'll definitely test myself.  It's always great when people share the details of what worked for them.

Message 6 of 11 (1,117 Views)

★ Guide

So glad to see it's not me that is causing the problem in my Sims 3 game. I have been having this same "script error" notice issue for a while now. It use to be that if I rebooted my Windows 10 PC computer several times (3 or 4 times use to do the trick) and make sure all of the caches were cleaned out each time the Launcher crashes then I could eventually play the game. But now it's gotten to the point that my Sims 3 Launcher won't even stop crashing at all every time I upload it. It doesn't matter what I click on or if I try to play without logging on or if I turn the WiFi off, I can't seem to even start the game anymore. It's very baffling. I have never seen my game have THIS kind of problem before with this weird script error Facebook issue notice. Hope EA will fix it soon. Wondering2019-11-06.jpg

Message 7 of 11 (966 Views)

★ Guide

WOW! The Script Error notice stopped popping up when I upload the launcher as of two days ago but now my Sims 3 game won't start whatsoever anymore. I try to start the game but it won't go past the black screen just before the EA Intro video. The buffer wheel just keeps going and going and the screen stays stuck in black mode. I have to reboot my computer each time I try to start the game in order to get out of the black screen mode. I clean all of the caches before I upload the launcher but the game still won't start. Hopefully it will get fixed soon. Crossing my fingers.

Message 8 of 11 (888 Views)

@nycbigl  There's still no word on the script error, unfortunately.  But have you tried launching the game while your computer is completely offline?  Sign into Origin, put it in offline mode, then disable wifi and/or unplug the ethernet cable.  I don't know whether this will make a difference, but it's worth trying.

Another useful test would be to temporarily remove your entire Sims 3 game folder from Documents\Electronic Arts.  You can always put it back later, or transfer over your content.  But I'm curious whether you'd still get the black screen with a clean folder in place.

Message 9 of 11 (879 Views)

★ Guide

HAPPY HOLIDAYS, !!! HeartStar

How are you? Long time no see! Large smile

I did as you suggested and guess what? The first part of your advice worked. Just by going offline om Origins and turning off the WiFi on my PC finally got the game to go past the black screen and finally start. WOW! Thanks for the advice! I was really starting to get worried there for a while. I would have never thought that the answer would be so simple. LOL!

As always, you rock, ! What would we silly simmers do without you? Thumbs upHeart

Message 10 of 11 (864 Views)