Re: Game Keeps Crashing - Please Help

by moosiegal

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Game Keeps Crashing - Please Help

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Hello! I'm hoping someone can help me figure out why my game keeps crashing and how to fix it.

Issue: I can load up the game just fine, can view the gallery, but once I go to a save and try to load a family, my game crashes. No messages/alerts when doing so, it just closes.

I use no CC. My drivers are up to date. I tried repairing the game in Origin.

This computer is a very new (bought and set up about a week ago) gaming computer and has the ability to play the game on optimal settings with no issue. When I was playing Sims 4 on Sunday, I had no issues, but was in a different save. I copied my save and tray files over from my previous computer (but as mentioned previously, was not having issues with accessing those). I might've updated my graphics driver between then and today (I know I did it recently, but don't remember which day).

Please help!

Message 1 of 5 (433 Views)

Accepted Solution

@moosiegal  The unrecognized video card message can be fixed, if you want.  The issue is that your card isn't in the game's database, but you only get the error message the first time you load it, or whenever you get a new options.ini file, which was spawned when you created the clean folder.  It wouldn't explain the crashes though.

The crashing is probably caused by something in your old Sims 4 folder.  You can move your content from it to your new folder in batches, testing each time to see whether you get another crash.  Since you don't have custom content, it shouldn't take much time to test the contents of the saves and Tray folders.  If you notice just one save crashing, try loading a different household in that save and playing it for a few sim-hours, then switching back to the original household.  You can use "save as" to rename your save, so the original stays intact while you experiment freely on the new one.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 4 of 5 (370 Views)

All Replies

@moosiegal  As a test, please try playing in a clean user data folder.  Move your entire Sims 4 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop, and when you launch the game, a clean folder will spawn with no content.  Don't add anything to it yet; just see whether you can start a new save and play for a while.  Let me know either way.

If the game crashes in a clean folder, please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Message 2 of 5 (407 Views)
Highlighted

★ Novice

Thanks, @puzzlezaddict - I did as you suggested and took out the folder and didn't seem to have any issues with the game crashing, however, upon that initial restart I did get an "Unrecognized Video Card" notification. I ran the dxdiag and have attached it to this post. 

Message 3 of 5 (384 Views)

@moosiegal  The unrecognized video card message can be fixed, if you want.  The issue is that your card isn't in the game's database, but you only get the error message the first time you load it, or whenever you get a new options.ini file, which was spawned when you created the clean folder.  It wouldn't explain the crashes though.

The crashing is probably caused by something in your old Sims 4 folder.  You can move your content from it to your new folder in batches, testing each time to see whether you get another crash.  Since you don't have custom content, it shouldn't take much time to test the contents of the saves and Tray folders.  If you notice just one save crashing, try loading a different household in that save and playing it for a few sim-hours, then switching back to the original household.  You can use "save as" to rename your save, so the original stays intact while you experiment freely on the new one.

Message 4 of 5 (371 Views)

★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict - I went through each of my saves and seem to have found the culprit, fingers crossed. Thanks for your help!

Message 5 of 5 (345 Views)