Re: Game Freezing

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Game Freezing

★★ Novice

Whenever I try to place down a lot in the gallery my game freezes on the furnished or unfurnished option screen. I've tried taking out my mods, and repairing the game several times but nothing seems to be fixing this. Can anyone help?

Message 1 of 10 (497 Views)

Hero
@indianbarbie For every lot you try to download or only certain ones ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 10 (457 Views)

★★ Novice

This happens with every lot I try and download. 

Message 3 of 10 (440 Views)

Hero
@indianbarbie What platform are you playing on ? PC or Mac ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 10 (405 Views)

★★ Novice

I'm playing on PC

Message 5 of 10 (390 Views)

Hero
@indianbarbie Moving your post to the PC Tech forum then

Could you post your Computer's DxDiag?

- Press Windows-Key + R
- Type: DxDiag
- Click on Save all Information.
- Attach the Text File to your post

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 6 of 10 (378 Views)

★★ Novice

here

Message 7 of 10 (364 Views)

[ Edited ]

@indianbarbie  Your computer's graphics driver is two years old now, and that may account for the issue all by itself.  So please start by updating the driver.  The first place to look is the HP download page for your laptop.  Go here:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/laptops

Enter your laptop's serial number, choose the OS (just Windows 10 is fine) if prompted, and you'll land on the download page for your laptop.  Look under Driver - Graphics for an AMD driver that's newer than March 2020, or alternately one that has a newer version number than the one your dxdiag lists, which is 26.20.14042.2.

If you're not sure what you're looking at, or you don't see a newer driver, please link the download page.  It doesn't contain any info about your own computer, just the overall model.  (I can't be sure I'm looking at the right page from the info in your dxdiag or else I'd just link the download itself, provided there is one.)

Please also clear more space on your C drive.  While having only 10 GB free isn't likely to cause immediate problems, it can prevent Windows from updating properly.  And it can also interfere with local data if you've allowed OneDrive to sync your files with cloud storage.  On that note, please let me know whether you use OneDrive, and if so, whether it's syncing the contents of Documents.  Here's how to check:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/choose-which-onedrive-folders-to-sync-to-your-computer-98...

I'm not suggesting you change any settings yet; just let me know the current setup, and we can go from there.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 8 of 10 (355 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I went onto the site as instructed but I dont know which of these are the right ones to download. Also yes I do use One Drive but at the moment it appears my files arent syncing due to lack of space I'm assuming.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-15-cw1000-laptop-pc/26183458/model/2794... 

Message 9 of 10 (306 Views)

@indianbarbie  HP doesn't offer a newer driver than what you already have installed, unfortunately.  You can use the newest one from AMD, but let's deal with OneDrive first.  Before doing anything else, back up your Sims 4 user folder (the one in Documents\Electronic Arts), preferably on an external drive or USB stick, but you can drop an extra copy in Downloads if you don't have any other options.

Next, please pause OneDrive syncing and cancel the current sync:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/office/how-to-cancel-or-stop-sync-in-onedrive-4885c27e-3d89-4d69...

Then disable the auto-syncing of Documents:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/choose-which-onedrive-folders-to-sync-to-your-computer-98...

You can still manually upload to OneDrive; it just won't happen on its own.  This also means that OneDrive won't lock up your Sims 4 folder while it's trying to sync, which may account for the freezing issue when you're trying to download Gallery items.

Once you've reconfigured OneDrive, you may no longer have a Sims 4 folder in Documents\Electronic Arts, but you can just restore the backup you made in the beginning.  It's also a good idea to clear more space if you can; the Downloads folder is a good place to look for extraneous files.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 10 of 10 (280 Views)