Re: Game Freezes On C-A-H Loading Screen

by juegoconfuego

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Expert

@juegoconfuego  Oh no. I do think that clearing cache is an important troubleshooting step here, because it might work to delete any remnants of the outfit; so I'll try to direct you in more detail as to where the cache is, and please ask if I should clarify.

The user folder we want to go to is always located in the folder called Documents, on your computer. I found a description on how to find it, on Windows 7 (I have W10); you need to scroll down the page:
https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001735.htm

If you double-click this folder, inside it you will find a folder called Electronic Arts; double click to open this one as well, for inside this one you'll find the user folder for the game, called The Sims 3. Open that as well, because inside it are the caches created each time you start the game, and that we want to delete now.

I took a picture of how it looks for me. The red circled files are the ones to delete. The green circled one might be for storing info about Simport and other Showtime EP features, and I have not tried those yet and so do not know if anything is lost if the cache gets deleted, so if you do use Simport, you can just leave this for now.  As you can see my computer is in swedish, but translated the path is: This PC>Documents>Electronic Arts>The Sims 3

InkedThe Sims 3 user folder circles_LI.jpg

Now I have Windows 10, and I remember the icon for the cache changed from when I had Windows 7, but it is still the same files. For you it might look more like the files in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0jNawu0GO4

(EDIT 2: Actually, the cache icon might just look like that for me since I installed S3PE Package Editor, and I've just confused the timing for it. The point is, the icon image doesn't matter, it is the name of the file, and that it is a .package.)

So please try this:
Make sure the game is shut off.
Delete the caches, and empty the Trash Bin.
Start the game, and make a Save As, for testing.
Try to send your sim to work.

If they are still being obstinate, then try all the troubleshooting, again, with changing outfits, making new ones, resetting the work place; and then make another Save As, for instance naming it Testing; exit the game and delete the caches again; and then see if the problem is solved, when starting the game.

I did find a funny solution to this problem, when searchng for it, by some posters forgetting that they had locked the doors so the sim could not go out; so even if it sounds silly, see if you have. Standard smile

EDIT: You can also try to switch the active household, play awhile, Save As, delete caches, and then switch back to your original household; as well as moving the troublesome sim out into another household, play awhile, Save As, delete the caches, and then move them back in; to see if those routines will reset your sim's outfit. Make them wear the everyday outfit when doing this, in case it matters.

If this doesn't work, and if you want to, you can send me your save file, and I can take a look at it myself, and try to see if I can figure it out. Just let me know.

How to turn off the testing cheats:

Bring up the command console just like when you type the cheat, by pressing keys Ctrl+Shift+C
Instead of writing on or true after testingcheatsenabled; you write off or false, like this: testingcheatsenabled off
The commands for enabling/disabling are interchangeable, so even if you wrote: testingcheatsenabled true to turn them on; writing testingcheatsenabled off will work to disable the cheats.
Press Enter to execute.

Let me know how it goes!

Message 11 of 17 (658 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@DonroaAkashu Thanks for these detailed steps. Quick question before I try them though, as another glitch has emerged: I sent my Sims to China (two parents, two teenage sons) and while they were there, their relationships and family tree disappeared. Now the brothers are two "best friends" who can flirt with each other. Will deleting the caches using the steps you mentioned help with this as well, or is there another approach I should try? 

Message 12 of 17 (581 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Expert

@juegoconfuego  Sorry for late answer, AHQ sometimes sends the notifications to my scrap mail, which I don't check as often as the primary one. And also sorry for not being able to stop myself laughing at the predicament your sims are in; this game entertains even when it fails Standard smile

Well, you could always try, clearing/deleting cache is harmless and a good first try in every troubleshooting, but I don't think it will do much for the corrupted relations. This issue seem common when travelling in TS3, and I would suggest you load a previous save and play on from that one instead. Tell me if you need directions on how to go back to a previous save.

I'll write out some tips on how to try to minimize issues while travelling if you'd like?

Message 13 of 17 (545 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@DonroaAkashu Unfortunately I saved my game while my Sims were in China, not realizing at the time that the relations had been corrupted. I also for some reason saved it again when I sent them back home. Is there a way to access a previous save? Thanks!

Message 14 of 17 (520 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Expert

@juegoconfuego  If you saved using option Save As, you can find every individual save, named in the way you chose them to be, in the game's Main Menu's little window for saves; and click on the one before the relations went corrupt to load that. I think the window only shows a limited number of saves, but they are all in the The Sims 3 folder, in the folder Saves, and the name you gave them is visible there as well. Just cut out all the saves you are not interested in loading for the time being, and place them somewhere safe on your computer. Then start the game again and load the save you want from Main Menu. I only keep about 10 saves in the Saves folder at a time.

When the option Save is used, it saves over the current save, but always keeps one backup; the next to last time you saved. This backup can be accessed this way:

Go to the user folder, same as where the cache is. The path is the same: Documents>Electronic Arts>The Sims 3.
In it, open the folder called Saves. You will see a list of folders, named the way you have chosen. I've attached how my new test folder looks like. For me to load the backup save to the save named: made, I do this:

I rename the save called: made.sims3 to: made.sims3.original. Then I rename the one called: made.sims3.backup to: made.sims3

Since the game only reads, and make visible in Main Menu, the saves that ends in sims3, I have now a loadable save out of the game-created backup save.

Always close the The Sims 3 folder before starting the game. So now when, in this example, the save named made is loaded from Main Menu, it will load at the time the second latest save was done. Unfortunately I know of no way to access older saves, so if the both times you saved were with the option Save and not Save As, I don't know what to advise, but to either go back even further in case you have made any other Save As-saves; or to just have fun with this new direction Standard smile

If you do have older saves with names given by you, I suggest you load one before you sent them to China. Then do a Save As, naming it pretravel for instance, and then try to go to China again. See if the relations are intact. If they are, use Save As to save again, so you have another savepoint to go back to, if needed. Saving often, and before all important events in the sim's lives; and always with the option Save As, is recommended for this reason of always having points of return should the game be its charming self.

If the relations keep getting tangled, let me know and I'll give you tips on what to try.

I tried to be detailed, but just let me know if I need to explain more, it can be confusing doing this the first time, no matter the explanation.

Message 15 of 17 (488 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@DonroaAkashu Thanks for these helpful steps. Unfortunately I always do "Save" instead of "Save As," but I have certainly learned my lesson. I will use that new method for saving going forward. As for the family that lost its relations, I think I reached a natural ending point with them, even before I sent them to China. I'm going to leave them as is, and will be sure to be careful about saving -- especially when traveling abroad -- for other families. Thanks again for all your help!

Message 16 of 17 (448 Views)

★★★★ Expert

@juegoconfuego   You are welcome! Just post again if you experience any of the problems discussed in this thread. 

Message 17 of 17 (414 Views)