Game Crashing

by seeyalater25

Original Post

Game Crashing

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Updated the game today and it has since crashed 6 times. I can open the game and play for maybe 5-10 minutes before it just closes with No warning or error message. 

I play on a PC using windows 10 (recently updated windows). I have restarted my computer several times today.

Also, I have no mods.

Message 1 of 14 (690 Views)

Re: Game Crashing

★★★★★ Guide

Hey there @seeyalater25 ;

You said you updated the game and it's just crashing; is it just closing automatically? What platform are you playing it on?

If it's on PC, I'd say try to perform a reboot first to clear out any instances of the game running in the background.

It would help provide more information on your problem though before people can assist further.

- B

Message 2 of 14 (682 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

@burin077 I have updated the information above.

Message 3 of 14 (678 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

Interesting; Windows 10 and recent update.

Do you have any mods installed? If so, see about temporarily disabling them to see if the game runs without issue, if not, continue with the steps below.

Let's have you try the following:
- Open Origin and right-click on Sims 4; select Repair. After it completes, re-run the game to test.

- If it still is giving you issues, I recommend next attempting to clear Sims 4's cache files; you can do so with the guide here.

- If it's still not working, the next step would be to attempt to run the game from a fresh instance. You will want to back up your Save Files before you proceed from this point. The guide I provided previously has steps on backing up your Sims files (The files are located in: (C:\Users\<Username>\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4)) Save your backed up files to somewhere easily accessible, like your desktop or a folder on the desktop. After that's been finished, you should then Uninstall Sims 4 from your computer (You can do this through Origin), and Reinstall it. After this is complete, copy the Sims 4 Folder you backed up earlier, and paste/overwrite it to its original position; this will ensure your save data and the like is kept intact.

Hopefully by that point the issue will have been resolved; if there's still issues beyond that, we'd be down to system issues; let me know if we end up reaching this point.

- B

Message 4 of 14 (669 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@seeyalater25
@burin077 

It is probably  (99.9%)  mods related issue.
After the recent patch, half od scripts mods and CC are broken. The simple and easy way is :

Move the mods folder to the desktop.

Delete localthumbcache.package file in the game folder

Fix the game in Origin.
Origin/Library -right click on TS4 - option "Repair game"
You have to wait until Origin will fix all packs, not only the base game.

Turn on the game to create a new, empty mods folder. Check if a game is working now without mods.

Then copy from desktop your mods and CC and paste it in the new mods folder.
First, paste script mods every time checking if the game is OK. Do the same do the same with CC but if you have a lot of this, try the 50/50 method

I don't work for EA

Message 5 of 14 (661 Views)

★★ Novice

@kreatora @burin077 

Just to clarify, I have no mods. I have updated my initial problem comment to reflect this.

Message 6 of 14 (653 Views)

★★ Novice

@burin077 

@kreatora 

Repaired the game twice, let it go through the cycle of repairing every pack as well as the base game.  No change

Opened the cache folders and they were both empty except for cachestr which had one file 'spotlight_en-us.package'. Deleted this file.  No change

Uninstalled the game, did not seem to affect the EA folder in my documents as the folder remained and everything in it did too. I restarted my computer after doing so just to see if it would do anything. It didn't.  No change

Should I delete the EA folder after uninstalling the game if it doesn't automatically get erased?

Message 7 of 14 (650 Views)

Hero (Retired)
Message 8 of 14 (649 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

You didn't need to uninstall the game. There were easier ways to restore factory settings. But now is too late

Move your saves and Tray folders to desktop - and delete The Sims 4 folder

You need to clean your computer with CCleaner after uninstalling the game  but keep these two folders on the desktop 

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download
How to use CCleaner to fix PC issues
http://help.ea.com/en/article/how-to-use-ccleaner-to-fix-pc-issues/
-http://www.wikihow.com/Use-CCleaner

But first, have a look above and try it

Btw localthumbcache.package isn't in the folder -  it is a  loose file

Message 9 of 14 (646 Views)

★★★★★ Guide
Since it seems I'm incapable of giving effective advice here, I'll let kreatora handle it from here.

- B
Message 10 of 14 (634 Views)