Re: Game Crashes Early and Often

by lnmerdja

Original Post

Game Crashes Early and Often

★★★ Novice

Game crashes if my sim does anything other than stand still (if I wait long enough standing still might cause a crash too but I don't have the time to test that theory).  NO issues creating a sim, only with the actual game play.

By saving every 2-3 minutes I was able to build a house and get my sim a job (I'm pretty persistent).  If I add decor to the house, speak with other sims or travel the game crashes and has even resulted in the occasional blue screen of death.

The error I receive is the standard Windows 7 'A problem caused The program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.'  2 blue screens and a handful of times the game froze with no error and I had to close using task manager.  2 times my whole computer froze and needed to be restarted.

I've updated Windows, BIOS, chipset and motherboard.  Tried running the game with nothing running in the background.  Origin is not on during game play.  I've uninstalled and re-installed Origin and the game 3x.  Checked the temp on my chip and video card but neither are excessively hot.  I overclocked my video card and raised the power allowance in case it was a power issue (it didn't help at all).  I've tried to install everything on different drives with each install in case it was a drive issue.  (It's not).  Origin and Sims4 are up to date according to Origin and I ran the Origin repair option which came back clean.  I also ran a cleaner and antivirus to ensure there was no malware or anything else funny on my machine.

My PC specs more than meet the game requirements, my internet connection is solid and I'm not using online content or any custom mods .  What's going on?  Should I try to get my money back on the game and give up?

Please see the attached.  I'm at the end of my rope with the game and ready to write it out of my life until my next PC build.  I've seen other threads with similar issues on the forums but have tried all the troubleshooting steps recommended with no success.

This is my second time posting because my first post was marked as spam after I edited some typos twice.

Please help.

Message 1 of 24 (1,564 Views)

★★★ Guide

@lnmerdja  Looks like your game is crashing due to a a faulting python33_x64.dll

Faulting application name: TS4_x64.exe, version: 1.46.18.1020, time stamp: 0x5b638be1
Faulting module name: python33_x64.dll, version: 3.3.5150.1013, time stamp: 0x5ae14723

This could be caused by a number of different reasons.  By chance do you play with and customer content or Mods?

Message 2 of 24 (1,559 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Hello @KC_Tipin,

I just purchased the game yesterday and didn't download anything that Origin didn't give me with the game.  No custom content or mods.  I noticed the error but have no idea what it could mean or how to correct it.  The game misbehaved "right out of the box" so to speak.

Message 3 of 24 (1,551 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

@lnmerdja python33_x64.dll  errors are tricky.  [Edited by EA_Mai: security reasons]

The only for sure thing to do is run a windows update, and if that does not work you may be reinstalling windows.

Message 4 of 24 (1,535 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Please try to repair the game. Open Origin rightclick the Sims 4 in Game Library and select repair.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 5 of 24 (1,508 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hello,

As as mentioned in my original post that is something that’s already been done.  Ive actually done it a few times and it comes back fine every time.  

Thank you you for the idea though.  

Message 6 of 24 (1,492 Views)

★★★ Novice

@KC_Tipin thanks for the info.  Formatting my machine is something I would do often growing up and playing previous SIMS games.  I was hoping to avoid it for fear that I’d still have issues playing but I’ll give it a go and post the results here.  

Wish th me luck! 

Message 7 of 24 (1,487 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@lnmerdja  You do not have enough free space on the system storage device (drive or ssd). 26.3 Gb is not enough free space for 3D graphical games that create temp files. The operating system also demands free space along with the many programs that are running in the background. An explanation is long and complicated. The simple explanation is that the Windows operating system bloats - that is just what is does. Many gamers have had issues with small density ssd system storage - again a long and complex reason why. While this configuration may be good for a student/business computer, it will probably (most likely) have issues playing 3D graphical games sooner or later (probably sooner). I recommend getting a larger ssd and a larger conventional hard drive.

Message 8 of 24 (1,450 Views)

★★★ Guide

@lnmerdja  post to let us know if reinstalling windows helps or not.  I'm curious if this does the trick.

Message 9 of 24 (1,442 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

@KC_Tipin I've formatted my machine and went from Windows 7 to 10.

Instead of a 120gb SSD drive I've gone to a larger traditional 2tb drive for the OS and installed the game on the same drive.

I reverted to an older video card as it more than meets the requirements for the game.  (I had plugged in a newer one to see if it would originally solve the issue but am returning it since it didn't)

The computer is up to date with all updates and latest drivers.

I managed to play for almost an hour before the game just closed and brought me back to the desktop.  There was a bit of lag in the game before it closed.  I suspect it's a hardware issue but all temp readouts look okay to me.

I've attached a new diag file and error log.  ANy help is appreciated.

Message 10 of 24 (1,406 Views)