Re: gallery - could not locate item

by lsnishi

Original Post

Gallery thumbnails are all X'ed out

★★★★★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.67.45.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Have all packs installed
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Load the gallery or any simmer's wall. All thumbnails are X'ed out with a red X
What happens when the bug occurs? Everytime I load the gallery or go to another simmer's wall
What do you expect to see? I expect to see the thumbnail of lots, rooms and sims shown when I access the gallery or other simmer's wall.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. I had this issue after today's October 6, 2020 patch but others who have this problem say they had the problem prior to today's patch.

No additional info to add.

Message 1 of 37 (13,738 Views)

Re: Gallery thumbnails are all X'ed out

★★ Guide

I am having this exact same issue and it started with this October 2020 update. My personal library is fine but my online gallery and everyone else that I try to view are all just big red x's with the loading circle in the middle (not moving). My notifications are also "can't be located" and if I click any of the thumbnails in the gallery they also can't be found. However, in game it will pop up and say that someone has liked or downloaded something but I can't see it when I go to the gallery.

I have tried:

updating my graphics card (it was up to date)

clearing origin's caches

clearing Sims 4 caches

naming the folder to sims 4 old and letting it create a new one

reinstalling origin

Windows 10 is up to date

Internet connection is fine

I have no idea what else I could possibly try to fix it. 

Message 2 of 37 (13,701 Views)

gallery - could not locate item

★★★ Novice

Hi

Every since the latest game patch downloaded this morning, I haven't been able to access the gallery at all. All the gallery item thumbnail images have a red cross through them and when clicked on, a message says 'could not locate item'.

I've literally tried everything I can think of. I've removed the mods folder, repaired the game, factory reset, restarted my pc (several times throughout the day), cleared the origin cache, added the sims 4 and origin apps to my anti-virus exceptions list... nothing has worked so far!

Message 3 of 37 (13,685 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

All the same for me.

Message 4 of 37 (13,669 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@lsnishi  ♥

@sterobeuk 

@mooncake 

@Peapod79 

Have a look here. All known solutions to problems with the Gallery are gathered there.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion-Feedback/READ-FIRST-Status-of-the-Gallery-SCHEDULED-MAI...

Personally, I recommend that you start repairs by resetting the game folder.

Go to Documents/ElectronicArts - inside will be The Sims4 folder
The path to The Sims 4 folder in Win 10
This computer> drive C> Users> computer name or your name> Documents> Electronic Arts> The Sims 4
Step 1. Move The Sims4 folder to the desktop
Step 2. Fix the game in Origin
Origin/ My games library - right-click on TS4 - option "Repair game"
You have to wait until Origin will fix all packs, not only the base game.
Step 3. Turn on the game - a new game folder will be created and you will have two - one old on the desktop and one new
Step 4. Check if you still have this problem in the newly created game folder. Start a new game and check if Gallery is working properly
If the problem disappeared
Step 5. Delete in the new game folder following folders:
"saves" and Tray.
Step 6. Go to "The Sims 4" old folder and copy - your "saves " folder.
Step. 7. Paste this folder in a newly created game folder.

Step 8. Do the same with the Tray folder and TrayDeleteItems file if you have this file in the old folder on the desktop
Step 9. If you don't use mods and cc skip this step but if you have them, check if there are newly updated version mods you are using.
Then copy and paste your mods and CC from the old mods folder to the new one. First copy the scripts mods every time checking if the game is working properly. If you have a lot of CC try the 50/50 method ( divide your CC into smaller batches for example 50 pieces in one subfolder and check these subfolders one by one)
Step. 10. Launch the game and check if this problem disappeared in your old save
The last step - delete The Sims4 folder from the desktop
Your saves and library will be not changed or damaged

I don't work for EA

Message 5 of 37 (13,637 Views)

Sims 4 Gallery Broken After Update

★★★★ Novice

Hi,

I have been having serious problems with the Sims 4 Gallery. When I open it all the thumbnails have a red X and when I click on them they all always say "Could not locate this item". I can still access things I've already downloaded but cannot use the online Gallery at all. I have tried numerous things including;

- repairing the game

-removing all mods and CC

- moving the Sims 4 folder and opening the game to create a new one

- deleting and reinstalling the entire game

- deleting cache files and crash reports

- deleting all unnecessary files such as screenshots 

- rebooting my computer

- restoring my computer to before the update

I am convinced it's an issue with my files... I know it's not caused by a mod because the very first thing I tried to resolve the issue was take out all mods and CC and have kept them out when trying all the other methods. I even tried removing tray files and saves to see if one of those was the issue but nothing has worked so far.

Side note: when I restored my system to before the October 6th update the gallery worked but then I updated and reinstalled the game and that broke it so I'm confident it was caused by the update. I hope someone can help because the Gallery is one of my favorite parts in this game!!

Message 6 of 37 (13,625 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Are you running Avast or Windows Defender with Controlled Folder Access?

Message 7 of 37 (13,631 Views)

Re: [READ FIRST] Status of the Gallery - ONLINE

★★★★ Novice
@crinrict Hi,

I have been having serious problems with the Sims 4 Gallery. When I open it all the thumbnails have a red X and when I click on them they all always say "Could not locate this item". I can still access things I've already downloaded but cannot use the online Gallery at all. I have tried numerous things including;

- repairing the game

-removing all mods and CC

- moving the Sims 4 folder and opening the game to create a new one

- deleting and reinstalling the entire game

- deleting cache files and crash reports

- deleting all unnecessary files such as screenshots

- rebooting my computer

- restoring my computer to before the update

I am convinced it's an issue with my files... I know it's not caused by a mod because the very first thing I tried to resolve the issue was take out all mods and CC and have kept them out when trying all the other methods. I even tried removing tray files and saves to see if one of those was the issue but nothing has worked so far.

Side note: when I restored my system to before the October 6th update the gallery worked but then I updated and reinstalled the game and that broke it so I'm confident it was caused by the update. I hope someone can help because the Gallery is one of my favorite parts in this game!!
Message 8 of 37 (13,539 Views)

★★★ Novice

I tried all of the advice from @kreatora last night but it did not fix the problem for me. Literally did a complete reinstall of the game with zero mods but the gallery is still broken no matter what.

I’m using AVG antivirus and have added exceptions for TS4, origin and the sims main website.

Message 9 of 37 (13,616 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@SmoggyLambGG I'm using the free Avast Antivirus but have never had a problem with it before. Is that what might be causing the problem?
Message 10 of 37 (13,611 Views)