Re: GPU fried - July 29th

by Inq_Katarina

Original Post

Accepted Solution

GPU fried - July 29th

★★★★ Novice

Have the requirements for running the game changed after the "revolutionary" patch?
My nvidia gtx 760 (4gb) died this week after launching sims 4 with new update. I think I managed to play for a few minutes before the shutdown. However, I find it hard to believe that a UI update could possibly damage the gpu, and I got no heads-up whatsoever about game's requirements changing. No graphics-changing mods/reshaders are present.

I really don't want to sacrifice another gpu to the Sims gods so I'd like to ask if the newest update changes any vital game specs.

Message 1 of 5 (329 Views)

Accepted Solution

Champion (Retired)

Software can not fry a Graphics card but a graphics card can die usually as a result of poor cooling. Did you check if its fan was still operational? Anyway it has nothing to do with the game.

You say you had a technician look at it, I'm surprised that he didn't mention this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.

View in thread

Message 4 of 5 (299 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

The recommended specs has not been changed.

What makes you think that the GPU is fried? Do there not come a picture on the monitor when you boot? Or is it just that there is a crash when you start the game?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 2 of 5 (319 Views)

★★★★ Novice

An IT technician who came in on Tuesday confirmed that the card is no longer functional.

I played the game for a few minutes before the screen went completely black, shown a warning that the graphics drivers are down, then went black once more. No amount of re-installing the drivers, getting different ones, updating and reverting to older versions could fix this. The card was then tested in another setup, just to confirm that it's dead and done for.

I can't provide any pictures, for the last week the pc could only be booted in safe mode, since gpu was down. I'm running a gtx 770 now, but I don't dare launch sims 4.

Message 3 of 5 (308 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Software can not fry a Graphics card but a graphics card can die usually as a result of poor cooling. Did you check if its fan was still operational? Anyway it has nothing to do with the game.

You say you had a technician look at it, I'm surprised that he didn't mention this.

Message 4 of 5 (300 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Yeah alright cheers, I was just making sure I wouldn't be losing another card over that. I'm no technician myself, no idea why the card died when it died, but I wanted to be sure it has nothing to do with the game.

Message 5 of 5 (295 Views)