GAME KEEPS CRASHING WHEN I GO INTO EDIT HOUSEHOLDS AND WHEN I TRY AND SAVE

by simsluvr90

Original Post

GAME KEEPS CRASHING WHEN I GO INTO EDIT HOUSEHOLDS AND WHEN I TRY AND SAVE

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Hello

So at first it was just if I try and edit households (the townies),my game would crash just entering that screen
Now my game is not even letting me save. It crashes as soon as I click save. I tried repairing the game, I removed the mods and it still happens. My next step is resetting the folder

Can anyone help??
I just bought this computer in February so the specs are UTD and can handle the game... :(

This only happens when I have been playing with the same save file for a while. It does not happen to new saves

Message 1 of 5 (1,696 Views)

Re: GAME KEEPS CRASHING WHEN I GO INTO EDIT HOUSEHOLDS AND WHEN I TRY AND SAVE

Hero (Retired)
@simsluvr90

This save might have been damaged if you had enabled the game containing the mods broken by the update.
It can be damaged without a repair option, but there is always a chance that a folder reset will fix it.
If this is fixed and you will want to add mods afterward, then first check for updates for your scripts mods. Paste these mods one by one into the new mods folder each time checking if the game works with it. Do the same with CC but if you have a lot of CC try 50/50 method ( divide your CC into smaller batches for example 50 pieces in one subfolder and check these subfolders one by one)

I don't work for EA
Message 2 of 5 (1,665 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

I usually remove my mods folder before updating and go through all mods and update. It only happens when I have been playing the same household for a long time. I can go through several updates with the same family with no issues, then all of a sudden it starts up again. If I start over its fine, but after my sims age up and get married and have kids, etc. then I start to have issues. This has been going on for a while. Can a save file get too big?

The folder reset didnt work (unless I didnt do it right)

Message 3 of 5 (1,655 Views)

★ Apprentice

Is there a way to read crash files?

Message 4 of 5 (1,653 Views)

Hero (Retired)
@simsluvr90

Try to do a factory reset in this way.
Step 1. Rename The Sims4 folder to "The Sims4 old"
Step 2. Fix the game in Origin
Origin/Library - right-click on TS4 - option "Repair game"
You have to wait until Origin will fix all packs, not only the base game.
Step 3. Turn on the game - a new game folder will be created and you will have two - one old, one new
Step 4. Start a new game this random sim and play 3 minutes.
Step 5. Delete in the new game folder following folders:
"saves" and Tray.
Step 6. Go to "The Sims 4 old" folder and copy - your "saves " folder.
Step. 7, Paste this folder in a newly created game folder.
Step 8. Do the same with Tray folder and TrayDeleteItems file
Step 9. Check if there are newly updated version mods you are using.
Then copy and paste your mods and CC from old mods folder to the new one. First copy the scripts mods every time checking if the game is working properly. If you have a lot of CC try 50/50 method ( divide your CC into smaller batches for example 50 pieces in one subfolder and check these subfolders one by one)
Step. 10. If all is OK - delete The Sims4 old folder.
Your saves and library will be fine and nothing will be damaged

If your old save still will not work after this - it can be probably bugged.
Always save the game with the "save as .." option with the next number. Keep only the last two saves. To delete older ones - click X in the upper right corner on the image of the "save" After each patch you need to delete localthumbcache.package file and all folders what have word "cache" in the name
Message 5 of 5 (1,633 Views)