Re: Fresh Install wont boot game

by crinrict

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Fresh Install wont boot game

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Asking here as EA's help told me to reinstall windows isntead:...

What happens is when I click play, origin minimizes, but then reappears in 3 seconds. It doesn't launch The Sims 4 at all, nothing even blips on Task Manager

So far I have done:

- Disable firewall/ add exception for Sims 4 and Origin

- Clear Origin caches

- Reinstall Sims 4

- Reinstall Origin

-Create new user on PC, reinstall Origin and Sims 4 on the new user

- update all driver

- Update windows

- Shut down all programs other than essentials

- Disable origin overlays/in-game

- Run in compatibility mode for Win 8 and Win 7

- Repaired game multiple times

Couple key points:

- In my documents I do not have a The Sims 4 folder under Electronic arts - I am assuming as this is created during the first boot of the game and this is why I don't have one.

- I have no mods or CC installed as I dont even have the proper folder to install them

-The sims 3 will launch (verifying that I can launch some games from Origin)

- No overclocking or hardware acceleration stuff running

I am not sure where to go now? I can't think of any other troubleshooting techniques. Everyone else online seems to have solved their issue with a re-install.

Message 1 of 8 (1,439 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★ Novice

I have found the solution.

In my antivirus I had added an exception so it wouldn't Scan the Sims 4.  I found another option to cmpletely exclude it from "Advanced protection"
After making the change effective it booted immediately

View in thread

Message 5 of 8 (1,407 Views)

All Replies

★★★ Novice

Attached DxDiag

Message 2 of 8 (1,434 Views)

@gratsoy  You're correct that the Sims 4 user folder is only generated the first time the game launches.  Please undo any compatibility settings you still have enabled—Sims 4 should run fine in Windows 10, and a compatibility setting can make troubleshooting more complicated.

Try running both Origin and Sims 4 as an admin: right-click on the .exes or their shortcuts and select "Run as administrator."  If you don't have a shortcut for TS4_x64.exe, you can find it in the game's program files; the default location for the .exe is

Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 4\Game\Bin

If that doesn't help, just as an experiment, please try to launch the game with only one monitor connected; if the first doesn't work, shut down and swap it out for a different one.  The game usually does handle multiple monitors without issues, as it should, but it's an easy enough test.

And out of curiosity, please move your Sims 3 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop, then launch that game.  If the issue is a game creating a folder in Documents in the first place, you should see the problem with Sims 3 as well.  You don't have to go past the launcher, since a new folder will be created by then, and you can trash the new folder and put the old one back afterwards.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 3 of 8 (1,421 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thanks for all your suggestions.

I tried each one and still no improvement.

Regarding the Sims 3, it will create a new folder in the electronic arts folder when I move the original folder out of it on to my desktop

Message 4 of 8 (1,414 Views)

★★★ Novice

I have found the solution.

In my antivirus I had added an exception so it wouldn't Scan the Sims 4.  I found another option to cmpletely exclude it from "Advanced protection"
After making the change effective it booted immediately

Message 5 of 8 (1,408 Views)

@gratsoy  Thanks for the update.  What antivirus are you using?  It would be helpful to add instructions for that particular program to the list.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 6 of 8 (1,397 Views)

★★★ Novice

I am using Sophos Home Premium.

I've attached a photo of where the exception needs to be made. It is under Help>Troubleshooting>Local Exclusions

Message 7 of 8 (1,380 Views)

Hero
@gratsoy Thank you for that. That's totally where I would look for that ...... (not)

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 8 of 8 (1,358 Views)