Re: Forced legacy edition on 64 bit ARM processor computer why? TS4

by LoveJacksonNow

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Forced legacy edition on 64 bit ARM processor computer why? TS4

★★ Novice

Recently got a new laptop that I thought would work great with ts4 however I was told my computer was "old" and forced to download legacy edition. Not sure why since I have a 64 bit ARM processor which I assumed would be supported. 

Message 1 of 3 (1,666 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

@LoveJacksonNow 

You can see minimum requirements here https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/READ-FIRST-Make-sure-you-meet-minimum-requirements-PC-... They are also listed on the purchase page. ARM processors are not supported.

Edit:

Here is a bit more on what wont work on ARM.

For starters, only ARM64 drivers are supported. While Windows 10 on ARM will be able to emulate x86 apps, you'll need ARM drivers to make them work. For most modern hardware and peripherals, this isn't an issue. But if you have a favorite mouse from 1994 that you still use, that likely won't work.

Additionally, x64 apps (the 64-bit version of apps coded for Intel'x x86 platform) won't work.

Some games won't work. If they use a version of OpenGL later than 1.1 or require hardware-accelerated OpenGL, they won't run. In addition, games that need anti-cheating drivers won't work on Windows 10 on ARM. This probably isn't much of an issue, as the first systems don't have the discrete GPUs you'll need to play games.

Some apps just won't run, either. Specifically, anything that modifies Windows 10, including assistive technologies and cloud storage apps like Dropbox. These will need to be recompiled for Windows 10 on ARM, so it may be awhile until these apps are available.

Perhaps the funniest of the limitations is apps that were originally designed for Windows 10 Mobile may work incorrectly. Considering that Windows 10 Mobile only runs on ARM processors, this incompatibility is a little ironic.

Finally, Windows 10 on ARM won't support the Windows Hypervisor Platform, so you won't be able to run virtual machines on Hyper-V. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.

View in thread

Message 2 of 3 (1,654 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

@LoveJacksonNow 

You can see minimum requirements here https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/READ-FIRST-Make-sure-you-meet-minimum-requirements-PC-... They are also listed on the purchase page. ARM processors are not supported.

Edit:

Here is a bit more on what wont work on ARM.

For starters, only ARM64 drivers are supported. While Windows 10 on ARM will be able to emulate x86 apps, you'll need ARM drivers to make them work. For most modern hardware and peripherals, this isn't an issue. But if you have a favorite mouse from 1994 that you still use, that likely won't work.

Additionally, x64 apps (the 64-bit version of apps coded for Intel'x x86 platform) won't work.

Some games won't work. If they use a version of OpenGL later than 1.1 or require hardware-accelerated OpenGL, they won't run. In addition, games that need anti-cheating drivers won't work on Windows 10 on ARM. This probably isn't much of an issue, as the first systems don't have the discrete GPUs you'll need to play games.

Some apps just won't run, either. Specifically, anything that modifies Windows 10, including assistive technologies and cloud storage apps like Dropbox. These will need to be recompiled for Windows 10 on ARM, so it may be awhile until these apps are available.

Perhaps the funniest of the limitations is apps that were originally designed for Windows 10 Mobile may work incorrectly. Considering that Windows 10 Mobile only runs on ARM processors, this incompatibility is a little ironic.

Finally, Windows 10 on ARM won't support the Windows Hypervisor Platform, so you won't be able to run virtual machines on Hyper-V. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 2 of 3 (1,655 Views)

★★ Novice

Thanks so much! I've been looking for a solution to this for ages!

Message 3 of 3 (1,578 Views)