Re: FPS halved when moving Camera

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

FPS halved when moving Camera

★★ Novice

moving the Camera around stutters (~30fps)
moving the Camera around WHILE HOLDING RMB (circling the camera), and the game runs fluently on ~75fps

as you imagine you change your camera position alot in this game... and thats a loss of over 50% fps while doing so. BUT if i move the camera around while holding RightMouseButton (and move around with WASD) its completely fine. So theoretically i could just hold RMB the entire time in i wouldnt even notice performance problems.

at first i thought Mods are the issue but they were not. I deleted all mods and the problem was still there. 

I did a complete fresh reinstall on a new Harddrive: problem persists.

i assume the 1.6 Update is the issue since i believe it started when the Update came.

Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 7 (476 Views)

@ologuy  I've seen a couple other reports of the same issue in the past, so I don't think it's necessarily due to the most recent patch, although the patch may have been the trigger in your case.  At any rate, please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Please also let me know whether this happens in a new save or just your existing ones.  If you have Eco Lifestyle installed, please test in neighborhoods with different eco footprints as well.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 7 (440 Views)

★★ Novice

Creating new Saves doesnt change anything.
The Eco Footprints dont change anything. I Also disabled it completely for testing.

thanks for trying to help

Message 3 of 7 (326 Views)

@ologuy  Your dxdiag lists a couple of errors related to AMD graphics software, and the Sims 4 errors could also be related to the graphics driver.  So please do a clean uninstall and reinstall of the driver, as described here:

https://crinrict.com/blog/2019/02/clean-re-install-of-graphics-drivers-with-display-driver-uninstall...

You can get a fresh copy of the newest AMD driver here:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-rx-6000-series/amd-radeon-rx-6500-series/amd-rade...

You'll want the Recommended (WHQL) driver dated May 10, not the newer optional driver.  Restart your computer after installing and before trying to play.

Message 4 of 7 (305 Views)

★★ Novice

Hey, i did exactly as you wrote but sadly that also didnt fix it. 

Any more thoughts?

Message 5 of 7 (275 Views)

@ologuy  Just to be totally thorough, please test a(nother) new save in a clean user folder.  Move the entire Sims 4 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop, and when you open the game, a clean folder will spawn with no content.  Don't add anything to it yet; just start a new save in one of the base game worlds and test again.

It's also worth trying the graphicsrules overhaul by Simp4Sims, which is a download you can place inside the Sims 4 user folder and delete just as easily.  One of its purposes is to decrease the number of times the game needs to switch between high and low level-of-detail images, and that switching can lower fps too.

If the above steps don't help, then you can try playing in a clean boot:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows-da2f9573-6eec-00ad-...

When you reboot, go through the Task Manager's background processes list shutting down anything that doesn't absolutely need to be running, for example RGB software or MSI Afterburner.  If you accidentally kill the wrong process and it doesn't restart on its own, just reboot your computer.  While you're at it, try playing offline as well: put Origin in offline mode, then disconnect your computer from the internet.

The point is not that you'd need to play like this going forward, only that you can test everything at once to save time.  If the above steps don't help, I'm not sure there's anything you can do.  This may be one of the places where Sims 4's lack of optimization becomes especially obvious, and you can't fix the game engine.

Message 6 of 7 (262 Views)

★★ Novice

wow you always come up with some well thought ideas and im always hyped to try it out. 

Sadly though, it seems that nothing is helping once again. Its such an odd problem and it wouldnt even bother me that much if i wouldnt constantly see how "well" the performance would be like. 50% FPS loss is super harsh and it actually kinda made me stop playing the game at all. Its already way too much effort . 

thank you alot for spending your time here on that problem. Looks like i have to wait for future updates, because that problem CANT be bad optimization. im like 100% certain it was NOT like that before. 

As you said it may not be the reason but the last Patch definately triggered that issue at least. 

Also it might just be my imagination but that GraphicOverhaul made it like 3-5 fps better ... yay Disappointed

Message 7 of 7 (256 Views)