[FIXED] Save Issues after Patch 1.30.103

by joshlaura03

Original Post

Sims 4 overwriting saved game files at random

★★★★★ Novice

Today I opened my Sims game to play and found that the thumbnail of the Sim I played the other day had the name of a game that I hadn't played in a while.  Somehow, the other day when I was playing this Sim, it overwrote that other file.  Now that game is gone.  I thought maybe it's deleting old games, so I looked through the thumbnails that don't have pictures yet because I haven't opened them since the update.  I found one that I knew I wanted to keep, a file that I use just for building.  I was careful with the name - I clicked on its own thumbnail, and it asked me "are you sure you want to overwrite Developers Cove?"  Good, yes!  That's the right file, that's what I want to do!  When I went back into Load Game, the thumbnail for Developers Cove was there, but it was called "Jan Bell," another game that I had saved a while back.  So Developers Cove overwrote Jan Bell even though I was very careful to overwrite Developers Cove.  Now I've lost 2 of my games.  I'm afraid to play, who knows what files I'll lose.  I have one game file in which my Sim had triplets, and I don't want to lose that, but the game is just saving games with whatever name it wants, regardless of what I tell it.

Message 31 of 64 (873 Views)

Re: Sims 4 overwriting saved game files at random

Hero

Hi @SummerSn0ws

I merged your post with exiting thread on the issue

Tagging @SimGuruNick for awareness

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 32 of 64 (859 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Sorry.  I didn't know that clicking "New Post" would create a new thread.  Please let me know if you want to look at any of my files.  I checked and I have 134 files in the saves folder. I backed up my saves folder and deleted the localthumbcache file - I guess I'll see what that does.

Meanwhile, I'm thinking of making a bunch of copies of my Saves folder - one for each of my games, then every time I want to play a game I swap out my saves folder for whichever game I want.  It's a pain but at least I don't lose my simmies and my builds.

Why have this complicated in-game saving system anyway?  Why not just use the operating system's save function?  Then I could save my files wherever I want with whatever name I want, and the poor coder who had to write all that can work on something else?

Message 33 of 64 (849 Views)

Hero

Hi @SummerSn0ws

I'm sure anything you have is useful to QA. They're not working on the weekend so Nick will probably get back to you on Monday.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 34 of 64 (842 Views)

Re: Save Issues after Patch 1.30.103

★★★★★ Guide

OK @SimGuruNick I'm uploading the saves directory now - it's labelled in the comment as "JasonVega2 Saves folder"

Stats:

Mods folder: 14 package files, 1 script file (25 files total including inactivated package files, text files, and zip files)

Tray folder: 284 files

Screenshots folder: 17,112 image files (32.6 GB)

Recorded videos folder: 583 video files (16.9 GB)

Hope that gives you something to work with!

Message 35 of 64 (825 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

@SummerSn0wsOh, man - that's too bad! Disappointed I've had the same problem - a number of people have. If you are *extremely* careful, you can still play and save files:

Before I begin a play session, I make a backup copy of my *entire* saves directory. Then EACH and EVERY time I save a file, I do the following:

1) Sort the backup saves directory by NAME in descending order and make a note of the highest save game name ("Slot_00000251.save" in my case). The files are sequential hexadecimal numbers, so the next filename would be "Slot_00000252", "Slot_00000253", up to "Slot_00000259", then "Slot_0000025a", "0000025b", "25c", "25d", 25e", "25f", and then "260".

2) Sort the active saves directory by DATE in descending order. The first file name (the last file you saved) should be at the top.

3) Change the filename of the file just saved to the next filename determined in step #1. In my case, I would name whatever file it is as "Slot_00000252.save". There shouldn't be another file by this name, so there should not be a write conflict. If there *is* a write conflict, double-check the filenames in your backup and go one number HIGHER when you rename it.

4) If there are any "*.ver?" files (like "Slot_00000251.save.ver0", Slot_00000251.save.ver1" rename those to the new number also and keep the "*.save.ver?" part the same.

5) Copy *all* the backup saves into the current saves directory. DO NOT allow the files to be overwritten. As soon as the file manager says that you have files of the same name chose the "do this for the next {however many} conflicts" and chose "skip". This should copy *only* the file(s) that was/were overwritten when you saved your game.

6) Copy the files you change the name of in the active saves directory to your backup saves directory. There should be NO conflicts!

7) Continue playing if you like and follow the same steps again the next time you want to save your progress.

I know it's a *horrific* pain, but it has worked for me so far, so that I can keep playing the game. Embarrassed If you are very very careful, this should carry you through until EA develops a better solution. Nerd

Good luck!

Message 36 of 64 (824 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

@SimGuruNickI left the browser open and the file "uploading" all night - but I'm not sure if it made it through or not. If it didn't, let me know and I'll get the file size down smaller. The zipped file was 7.5 GB.

Message 37 of 64 (814 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

@JasonVega2 I'm not seeing any upload from you, it looks like it didn't make it through

This account is no longer accepting Direct Messages. If you need to send a Direct Message, please send it to TheSimsDirect. Thank you.

Message 38 of 64 (807 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

@SimGuruNickI tried it again, twice. The new file size is 4 GB. There is no indication whatsoever from the dropbox page that anything is happening at all. No progress bar, no message of completion. The only thing that changes is the "upload" button changes to say "uploading". I'm not sure what to do now.

Message 39 of 64 (793 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Thanks, JasonVega.  I'll try this, maybe just play for 5 minutes, just to test, to make sure I can do it.  It sounds confusing, but I can probably get used to it.  Better than losing my simmies.Standard smile

Message 40 of 64 (748 Views)