Re: Save Issues after Update

by cynvamp13

Original Post

Re: Sims 4 overwriting saved game files at random

Community Manager (retired)

@JasonVega2could you maybe split the upload up into multiple uploads? I'm not sure what else we can try.

Is this occurring for anyone else who has maybe a smaller saves folder, that they'd be willing to upload?

Thanks for the help everyone Standard smile

This account is no longer accepting Direct Messages. If you need to send a Direct Message, please send it to TheSimsDirect. Thank you.

Message 41 of 64 (1,453 Views)

[ Edited ]
EA Sims Team

While we look into this issue, here's one workaround that we are aware of:

If you load an older save and then click "Save As" afterward, don't hit the cancel button or attempt to overwrite an existing save slot.  Instead create a new save game.  This should preserve your older saves.

Also, if you do happen to lose your older saves, you may be able to recover them by going to the Main Menu, selecting Load Game, and then clicking the Recover Save button.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

This account is no longer accepting Direct Messages. If you need to send a Direct Message, please send it to TheSimsDirect. Thank you.

Message 42 of 64 (1,413 Views)

Champion

I am extremely confused! Confused  I have a savegame for every household I play and I love making families as well as playing the Maxis created ones that come with the game and its packs! Heart While I absolutely love the new pictures of the family I'm saving (since I'm a visual person), I don't want to loose any of my beloved Simmies! Devil

When the new saving system was introduced, I spent several days replyaing every single one of my saved households in order to give them their picture so I could find them easily again.  I only ran into one problem with the pictures swapped with the name (example: the Jones family picture was on the Smith file, and vice versa).  I fixed that and thought my problems were over...

I then had a conversation on the TS4 forums with someone who was having a lot of problems with the new system deleting their saves, but since I hadn't had this problem yet, I wasn't super worried.  Then the Pancakes family disappeared (the second one that had the toddler ... I named them Pancakes 2.0 so as not to be confused with my original Pancakes file)! Shocked I recovered the file, but lost a lot of progress since the toddler had grown into a school-aged boy, but was now back to a toddler again! Disappointed Frustrating, but not too bad.  But what if it happens again, and I can't recover it?  I don't want to do a 20 step work-around because I'm not that tech savvy.  To be frank, a lot of what this thread had discussed (such as work-arounds)I don't fully understand.  I think I understand most of it, but I don't feel confident enough to be sure.  

I usually save my games by the name of the neighborhood and the name of the family (just incase I have the same family in more than one neighborhood -- like its a parallel universe!) 

Example: Newcrest Lopez , or WillowCreek Krazinski, or WC SpencerKimLewis.  I know it has the family name underneath automatically but naming the file this made it easier for me to find.  Ocassionally I would name something special like SanMyshuno Adoption.  But, I noticed that when I went back to play these households, it just had Save Game 139 or something like that.  The family name was still underneath, but the game wasn't what I named it!  This is really confusing with those specially named households.

This happened with my Kid Sister Enemies file which I was using to testing purposes.  I had the same family in a regularly named file like OasisSprings Porter, but now I can't tell them apart.  I wanted one version of the family to run tests on, and the other version to play normally.  I finally found them, but the problem will happen again, and I'm not happy about it! Angry

Also, since I had gone to the trouble of replaying every save game and resaving them in new files to give them their pictures, I was planning on deleting the prior saves that din't have a picture --- but since some of the files have been overwritten, I'm afraid to do that so I have almost twice as many files as I want to have.  

Here is a link to the thread on the TS4 fourums I mentioned: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15905928#Comment_15905928

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Message 43 of 64 (1,397 Views)
Highlighted

Re: Save Issues after Update

★★★ Novice

I don't have any mods.

Message 44 of 64 (1,388 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I've had a saving error today which seems similar to what I'm reading about here. From what I've experienced the game has trouble separating different saves, especially if you have used the "save" option any time while saving. I have been using the original names for my saves since I thought one problem could just be that the game couldn't recognize custom names. The thing is, however, that when I have more than one save the game will sometimes rename the latest saved game to the same name as the previous one so that both names are "My Saved Game 2" for example. That seems "dangerous" to me so I've done my best to pick "save as" and create a new save to get a unique save name. Today I had three save games named "My Saved Game 2", "My Saved Game 3" and "My Saved Game 4". I had loaded "My Saved Game 3" and was doing some building on an unoccupied lot. After an hour or so I wanted to quit and accidentally clicked "Save" instead of "Save as". I immediately checked if everything was alright by clicking "Save As" just after. Now I suddenly had two saves named "My Saved Game 3" and none named "My Saved Game 4". I went back to the main menu and managed to recover "My Saved Game 4".

For me it seems as if the "Save" option overwrites the save that was created last no matter which save you're currently playing in. I've had the same issue before and I've tried without any mods but it doesn't make any difference for me.

I've uploaded my entire The Sims 4 folder to onedrive: Download The Sims 4 Folder

The complete folder is almost 3gb so I've also uploaded my saves folder if that makes things easier: Download Saves Folder

Message 45 of 64 (1,385 Views)

Champion

@Allisasyou wrote

"For me it seems as if the "Save" option overwrites the save that was created last no matter which save you're currently playing in. I've had the same issue before and I've tried without any mods but it doesn't make any difference for me."

I think you state an important bit of information that might be the clue as to where our "saves" are actually going! Raised eyebrow  I hope this helps EA figure out what is going wrong an how to fix it! Thinking

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Message 46 of 64 (1,366 Views)

Hero

They addressed this issue in todays patch

*sigh* As I was saying, WE ADDRESSED AN ISSUE that would cause an incorrect save to appear in the load menu, if you cancelled a Save As action or used Save As to overwrite an existing save.

Any feedback appreciated

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 47 of 64 (1,046 Views)

★★★ Novice

The "SaveAs" issue still happens after a patch of September 12.

Message 48 of 64 (1,028 Views)

EA Sims Team

Hello @itasan2

Can you provide more details?  What are you experiencing?

Message 49 of 64 (1,005 Views)

Sims 4 'save as' not working

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Problem with Sims 4:

I have Windows 10, Go to Work and Cats and Dogs expansions.  I have no mods or anything like that.

After updating before installing Cats and Dogs, it lost some of my save games (not that many, I have about 40, it lost maybe 10).

After creating a new game for Cats and Dogs with a veterinarian cat lover sim, I saved the game several times with different names.  That worked.

Then I created a new family with four sims and three cats - saved that one, it worked, reentered to play, saved it as several different names, but none of those saves worked.  When I started the game again, there was only one save (the last/most recent one) of that family.  Subsequent attempts to "save as" with that family also failed.  Now none of my "save as" is working.  Any ideas to help me?

Message 50 of 64 (916 Views)