Re: Save Issues after Patch 1.30.103

by SimGuruNick

Original Post

Re: "Save As" overwriting old save games

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

Ah, sorry I didn't notice the original thread!

There is absolutely NO DOUBT that "Save As" is overwriting old save files unrelated to the name you type in - at least in my game. Did some more testing to verify:

Saved file as "AW3 Climbing Wall". Overwrote slot_00000002, originally "02 First Day".

Re-saved file as "AW3 Climbing Wall". Saved correctly in slot_00000179.

Saved file as "AW4 Climbing Wall". Overwrote slot_00000005, originally "93 Lkr Rm Atndnt".

Re-saved file as "AW4 Climbing Wall". Saved correctly in slot_00000182.

Saved file as "AW5 Climbing Wall". Saved correctly in slot_000001aa.

Saved file as "AW6 Climbing Wall". Saved correctly in slot_000001ac.

Saved file as "AW7 Climbing Wall". Overwrote slot_000001ad, originally "AH1 Six Skulls".

Re-saved file as "AW7 Climbing Wall". Overwrote slot_000001af, originally "AD1 Great Party!".

Re-saved file as "AW7 Climbing Wall". Saved correctly as slot_000001b2.

Saved file as "AW8 Climbing Wall". Overwrote slot_000001b5, originally "AD2 Dance Party!".

Re-saved file as "AW8 Climbing Wall". Saved correctly as slot_000001c0.

Restored overwritten files and then locked all files in the Saves directory as read-only. This did not crash the game as I suspected it would - but it also did not work.

Saved file as "AW9 Climbing Wall". Overwrote slot_000001c6, originally "AH8 Pioneer Tech".

Re-saved file as "AW9 Climbing Wall". Saved correctly as slot_000001ca.

It looks to me very much like Sims4 is using an internal DB or looking at an external file that tracks which slot names have been used previously. It appears that it is losing track of which slot names are *available* and therefor overwriting live files.

Message 21 of 64 (1,198 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

One more thing: I wonder if this problem might be related to the *number* of save files. I have 533 save files, 2,196 if you count the backups also.

I should think with an 8-digit hex code for a filename you wouldn't expect overwrite problems until you get past the 65,000 save file level. Still, it might be why some people see this issue and others don't.

Message 22 of 64 (1,192 Views)

Hero

Do you really need all of them in your saves folder ? You could just backup them somewhere else

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 23 of 64 (1,181 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

Sure, I've thought of moving all but the most recent saves somewhere else - and I may still do that if this issue isn't definitively solved pretty soon.That's the way I do it in Sims 3, actually.

The reason I haven't yet is because that would make it more complicated if I ever needed to restore a backup game, since Sims 4 appears to look for the first "open" slot and use that filename - I would have duplicate filenames with different backup saves.

One more thing to report also:

I read a suggestion somewhere online regarding this problem, to delete the localthumbcache.package and let the game regenerate it. I did that and I have not had this issue occur since.

6/26/17. Saved file "AX0 Current" (slot_000001d5) with no problem.

6/27/17. Saved file "AX1 Current" (slot_000001d8) with no problem.

6/28/17. Saved file "AX2 Current" (slot_000001df) with no problem.

I can't say for *certain* that solved the problem - but I think it can't hurt if anyone else is having this issue, or just good general practice to clear out accumulated junk in that file.

I will continue to watch and test! Thanks so much for everyone's help and input - especially Crinrict!

Message 24 of 64 (1,124 Views)

Hero

Thank you for that suggestion

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 25 of 64 (1,118 Views)

Hero

Tagging @joshlaura03 @Mindydog09 @ilovesims335 @NZsimm3r to see if the issue is still happening for you guys ? Anyone tried to delete the localthumb file as @JasonVega2 suggested ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 26 of 64 (1,108 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

And if anyone's still having the issue, could you possibly share your entire TS4 folder with me? Thanks much! Standard smile

This account is no longer accepting Direct Messages. If you need to send a Direct Message, please send it to TheSimsDirect. Thank you.

Message 27 of 64 (1,097 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

I always delete the localthumbcache.package file after every play session so doing this does not effect how the new save system works. As I pointed out in this thread: http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=28551.0   the issue is with the design, not the individual players games. In a nutshell, using 'save' can save over your last played game. If this is NOT the same as the game you are currently playing then the previously played game gets copied/saved over. Design fault, not user error I believe.

Message 28 of 64 (1,084 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

@NZsimm3ris correct. I haven't played for a few days and my first attempt to save is repeating this issue with a vengeance.

I cannot save my current game at all, now.

It keeps alternately overwriting two files: It overwrites Slot_000001cf.save "AX0 Current", then overwrites Slot_000001d1.save "AK5 Halloween", then back. It keeps alternately overwriting these same two files - and I have tried to save my game 10 times.

The "AX0 Current" game save is one of the newer type - so that proves that it's not just overwriting *older* saves from before the saving methodology was changed.

I would be happy to share my entire directory with you @SimGuruNick, but I have no idea how. It is 63G uncompressed.

Message 29 of 64 (1,057 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

Haha okay maybe I don't need the entire thing then, that's pretty huge. Could you send me just your save folder potentially? Or just your last few saves if that's still too big? Could you also give me an idea of how many files you have in your Mods folder, your Tray folder, your Screenshots folder, and your Recorded Videos folder? 

Here's instructions: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4-Bug-Reports/INFORMATION-How-to-Send-User-Files-to-The-Sims-4-Tea...

Thanks much for all the help! 

This account is no longer accepting Direct Messages. If you need to send a Direct Message, please send it to TheSimsDirect. Thank you.

Message 30 of 64 (1,014 Views)