Re: Save Issues after Update

by ilovesims335

Original Post

★★ Novice
Not sure what you mean by backups. I played and then saved like usual. Thats when my file disappeared and saved my file over my daughters.
Message 11 of 64 (4,145 Views)

★ Guide

After an hour of playing and saving via save as several Times my saves did not get saved. It seems that the Game is not able to save the game when you use a custom Savegame Name.

It just saves it under the self generated Name "Mein Spielstand xx". So no matter which Savegame you load it gets saved under the last self generated Name as it seems.

Message 12 of 64 (4,110 Views)

★ Guide

Don't save your current game, but go with your mouse over the other games until you have the right one and save it. You can give your save a name in the main menu. This works for me

Message 13 of 64 (4,063 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

I wanted to add my 2 cents in this thread about the new Save feature. Adding the thumbnails to the new save feature was a great idea. I like that you could see the family that you were playing. However, the new save feature isn't so friendly. I have different Saves that I play in game. For example I have two main saves that I play... my "Main Hood" save and then there's my "City Life" Save. When I use to save with the old feature, I was able to pick my main hood and overwrite that save file with no problem and not having to name the file each time.

With the NEW save feature, I choose "Save As" and I pick the save file that I want to save which would be my main hood, the file will over write as "My save game 13" or something like that. So I would have to name the file "Main Hood" each time I want to over write the main hood save file. I wanted to see if I just pressed the normal "Save", would the game recognize the file and just save in the right save. It did not. My main hood save had overwritten my city life save. Good thing that there is a recover feature. That feature allowed me to recover my City Life Save file and it played as it should and I was able to pick up where I left off with that file. So the thumbnails are cool to have, and the recover feature is an awesome add on but...the Save system needs more work or just give us the old save feature back and add the thumbnails that way?

Message 14 of 64 (4,043 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Hi,

I'm having a problem pretty much the same problem. But, when I looked to see the saves, some of them had dates back to 2015. I only had one sim family back then, and I don't recognize the others. None of my files match up even close, and everything I've done hasn't worked.

Message 15 of 64 (4,028 Views)

Hero

I've taken a look at the new saving system and I do think it works as it should but it's super confusing.

Best you can do for the moment is backup your saves folder to a folder outside the games folder until your used to the new system.

Some saves might have been overwritten by accident.

There's a backup system now when loading you can try to load one of the backups the game automatically makes to see if that's still your old saves.

Also make sure the game doesn't suddenly use a folder on one drive with different saves.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 16 of 64 (3,977 Views)

"Save As" overwriting old save games

★★★★★ Guide

The "Save As" feature is over-writing random old save games without warning or recourse.

Today, as an example, I played Sims 4 for awhile his ESC and chose "Save As". The :New Save Game" block was highlighted and I was *extremely* careful to not choose any other blocks. I changed the save game name to "AW3 Climbing Wall" and clicked the "save" button. When I re-started the game some hours later, there was no save called "AW3 Climbing Wall", instead there was a new save called "02 First Day" with a picture of the family I currently play - a family that had not been created yet at the time this file was originally saved.

I make incremental backup game saves. Sims is an extremely complicated game and I get very emotionally attached to my Sims. I want to make sure that if the game ever gets corrupted, I can always go back to an earlier save. The "02 First Day" file was the *second* incremental save I ever made - in 2014.

This has happened 3 times.

I have noticed that if you scroll down in the list of saves and come back to the "New Save Game" spot - it randomly chooses an old file save and populates the name in that box with it. Not where you type a new name, but where you hover over that box.

The last time this happened it took me hours to find and restore the original save from backups - as it took me so long to determine which save file had been overwritten. I was excruciatingly careful after that to make sure I didn't hit any stray buttons or scroll through the old files or *anything* that might cause this to happen again.

The game is unplayable in this state (or more properly - unsaveable).

I will try one more thing - locking all the save files as read only in an effort to prevent the game from overwriting an old file. I suspect this will cause the save to file entirely and crash the game. We will see.

Has anyone else had such trouble with their saves?

Message 17 of 64 (3,899 Views)

Re: "Save As" overwriting old save games

★ Guide

Yes. I am experiencing the same issue. Made a thread about it with all the details here Carl's Forum save-as issues

Message 18 of 64 (3,889 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

@NZsimm3rThat is unfortunate.

I have something of a work-around in place:

1) Make a backup copy of your -entire- Saves directory without the sub-directories before you play, and especially before you save!

2) ESC and Save As in Sims 4. Save your file under a new name, but do not exit the save menu!

3) Save As again and look to see if the correct filename saved. In my experience it usually takes two or three attempts before it actually *saves* under the name you give it - the other times it overwrites one of your old save files at random. Keep doing this until your Save As finally "takes".

4) Exit Sims 4.

5) Order the Sims 4 Saves directory by creation date and -move- (don't copy) all of the files that are time-stamped during the time you were saving the game. If you had to save three times to finally get the save file to save correctly, there should be 3 files.

6) Copy the saves from the backup you made before gameplay. When the file system asks you about duplicates, skip all of those. We just deleted the overwritten files and the one correctly saved file. We want to restore the ones that got overwritten.

7) Copy the saves from where you -moved- the recent 2 or 3 save files. Again, skip all duplicates. This should then copy the legitimate file you just made back into your Saves directory.

It's a colossal pain, but if you're careful it should work. I will be doing this on a daily basis instead of *every* time I save. So, I might make 5 incremental saves in a 3-hour gameplay period. Maybe it took 9 tries total to get the files to "stick". I will then follow my little routine but just look at the files created *today*.

Thanks for the link - I'll go take a look over there and see if there's anything I can learn or add.

Message 19 of 64 (3,882 Views)

Hero

Hi @JasonVega2 and @NZsimm3r

I've merged this thread with existing thread on the issue.

I've not seen any issues in my save game atm other than then the save as gets a new name but there's been plenty of reports now.

Tagging @IrishMadCat_EA to see if there's any more info needed

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 20 of 64 (3,868 Views)