[FAQ] Unable to connect with origin

by crinrict

Original Post

Re: [FAQ] Unable to connect with origin

★★★ Newbie

im trying to install The Sims3 Starter Pack and it says i have to log into origin to install the game and each time i try to log in it says "You must be online when logging in for the first time" my laptop is connected to the Internet what doi need to do cause i just bought the game and i have been wanting to play this game so bad for so long. PLEASE HELP ME ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 61 of 70 (1,242 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

@shadow33490

Try the following:

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Origin/HOW-TO-Fixing-quot-Origin-Login-Unavailable-quot/td-p/3218195?

1. Go to control panel.
2. Go to Internet options.
3. Click the connections tab and at the bottom of the window click on LAN SETTINGS.
4. uncheck the option Use a proxy server for your LAN.
5. Click Apply.
6. Close Origin restart the program and computer.

Also you can try to go to your appdata: %appdata%\..\local and ..\roaming and delete the Origin folders, restart your PC and now try and login again.

If the issue persists, delete the Origin Offline Cache file.

1. Close Origin completely by right clicking the Origin system tray icon and selecting Exit.
  2. Navigate to the Offline Cache file.
    • Win 7/Vista/Win8: C:\ProgramData\Origin\DownloadCache\
    • Win XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application data\Electronic Arts\Origin\DownloadCache\

Note: These files might be hidden, if so, press Alt, select Tools, then Folder Options.  
Select the View tab, then check Show hidden files, folders, and drives.

1. Delete the Offline Cache file.
  2. Reset the Windows Host File: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972034
  3. Reboot your computer.
  4. Run Origin and login.
If this message helped you, please give it a bit of XP! Click the XP button at the bottom right of this post.
If it answered your question, click "Accept as solution". Thanks!
Message 62 of 70 (1,236 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Aaaand this is why Origin will never really compete with Steam. The fact that you can't streamline your service enough to allow your consumers to even make the games they purchased playable is completely pathetic. That this is still an issue YEARS after the game came out would be hilarious if it wasn't so frustrating. I just want to play The Sims, the game's own launcher shouldn't be a huge barrier to entry.

Dumb. It's dumb that this is a problem, and it's dumb you still can't just patch the game on Origin to fix it. 

Message 63 of 70 (1,156 Views)

★ Novice

My accounts are not connected, but i use the same email for both accounts. How do i connect them?

Message 64 of 70 (1,072 Views)

Hero

They should auto-connect

If they don't, contact a game advisor

Game advisors can be found through live chat or call-back

1. https://help.ea.com/en/contact-us/ 
  2. Click on the orange NEXT button
  3. Select a platform
  4. Click on the orange NEXT button
  5. Select a topic and describe your problem in a few words
  6. Click on the orange NEXT button
  7. Click Chat Now to chat with a Game Advisor or leave your phone number for a call-back

In Details here: How to contact a Game Advisor using the new EA Help page

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 65 of 70 (1,065 Views)

★★ Novice
If this dose not worck i want my money back i bough generations and it dose not worck base game dose tho
Message 66 of 70 (1,025 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This problem plagued me for months.  Unfortunately a lot of the solutions focus on the PC side of the network.   I validated that the problem was a setting on my hardware based firewall after testing the Origin client on my laptop both connected to wireless LAN where the problem would occur and testing with my Laptops built in cellular connection.   When I was connected to cellular I was bypassing everything on my network.  Since the client connected when I was using cellular I knew I had to focus on the LAN firewall. 

Due to work reasons I have an advanced Fortinet Firewall.  The firewall can operate in two modes.  Proxy Mode or Flow Mode.  I can change modes on the firewall and recreate the connection problem for the Origin client.  This problem will affect not just the PC Origin Client but it will also effect other systems like the PS3 version of PVZ connecting to EA servers.  Interestingly enough the XBOX One PVZ does not have any issues connecting to EA so the XBOX One implementation of the client must be different.  Yes I own PVZ game on 3 different platforms.

Proxy mode is a more secure mode state for the firewall.  Clearly EA has some work to do on the client as firewalls get more advanced these types of issues will continue to crop up for them. 

Hopefully this will help someone out there who has only been focused on the PC side of the coin to not forget to comb through your hardware firewall or router.  I had to spend several hours testing each firewall setting before arriving to a solution as I wanted to know specifically which feature was the culprit.  Not everyone has corporate grade firewalls in their homes but if you do then take a look at the firewall inspection mode settings.  Essentially the EA client does not play well with Proxy's. 

Message 67 of 70 (1,010 Views)

★ Novice

I just literally had the same problem and for almost an hour I finally got my origin online back on. I went to the website and downloaded again and 3 options will pop up!

I clicked the second one and it updated my origin and I was back online.

Hope this helped.

Message 68 of 70 (949 Views)

★ Novice

Hey! I had the same problem and all I did by fixing it is going to origin online to re-download it and it gave me three options......I chose the second one and it updated my origin and after it was done, I was back online.

Message 69 of 70 (949 Views)

★★★ Novice

I really hope you found something out and were/are able to update this thread because I am having the same issues. TS3 was working fine on Saturday and sunday. On Monday I decided I wanted ambitions and some stuff. I put the money into it, and then it forced 1.69 through origin. I would try to load the game from the launcher and the bin and straight from origin, but only to get a message saying something along the lines of needing to install origin to play the game..blah blah...comtact EA support. After a full reinstallation of just the base game(I had just reinstalled origin before i was forced to update)and cache clean and clean boots and .NET framework and a bunch of stuff that makes NO sense to me for 3 days now, I was able to run the base game only with an ancient patch. I am still trying to figure out if I can get it working somehow, but will have to contact EA probably, and after reading all these threads I feel like that will be just me wasting more time on an endeavour that was a complete waste of money. I have like 6 EP/SPs that I have NEVER been able to play. It is super frustrating and I really don't like TS4. Whatever happened to having discs available for purchase that you can just pop in and get going? That was something I understood..but this!? Pure insanity that needs to be addressed ASAP or I will be demanding a full refund I think..

Message 70 of 70 (879 Views)