[FAQ] The Sims 3 Store

by crinrict

Original Post

[FAQ] The Sims 3 Store

[ Edited ]
Hero

What's the difference between the Sims 3 Store and the Exchange ?

The Sims 3 Store contains items which are made by EA and sold to you as such. The Exchange is a place where other users can upload ther creations and share them with you. Everything in the Exchange is free. 

How can I buy something in the Store ?

To buy something in the Sims 3 Store you need to buy Simpoints first. Simpoints can be bought by Credit Card, paypal or other means, depending on the country you are in. Some countries don't have an option to buy Simpoints at all but you can also acquire them through Origin.

The Store doesn't work for me. I only get a maintenance page

Clear your browser cache or try a different browser

I bought some items/sets. Where can I find them ?

Everything you've bought can be found in your purchase history. You can re-download it from there anytime. Nevertheless it's recommended to keep a backup of all your downloads on an external drive/DVD or whatever means. After downloading you can find them in the following folder: documents\electronicarts\thesims3\downloads. Best ist to backup the whole folder.

It is also possible to redownload from the set or item page themselves. Be aware that if you buy all items of a set separatly you don't own the set itself. The same is true if you buy a superset or several subsets. The system only recognizes what you buy. If you buy a set, all single items should show as bought but there are several people that have issues with that as well.

I bought a world through Origin but now I can not find it anywhere to download

All worlds can be found here: Store Worlds. They should also show in your purchase history. This goes for whatever way you buy the world. There are worlds that are only availble through Simpoint Bundle purchases. You'll find those in your purchase history as well after you bought the bundle.

A detailed guide can be found here: [Guide] Sims 3 Store Worlds

I can't download any of the items I bought

If you click on the download button and nothing happens then the browser you're using does not have the launcher associated with sims3packs. Opera and of late Google Chrome seem to have troubles with that. Use IE or Firefox instead. For people that use Steam, please refer to this article: Fix for those missing sims 3 protocol.

If you get a system error or you can only download certain items, make sure you have stable internet connection (use a LAN connection instead of Wifi), that your game is updated to the latest patch and store update and that no Firewall/Antivirus program is blocking the connection.

I'm on a mac. Does that matter ?

No, Store downloads work for either platform. This goes for worlds as well as ever other download from the Sims 3 Store.

I didn't get any free Simpoints for the EPs I bought

Only the base game and the World Adventure EP give you free points. After that, all you get is registration awards for registering the game. All registration awards are listed here: Registration Awards.

To redeem your points for the base game and WA, please refer to this article: Where are my free SimPoints?

Is there a way to get points for free ?

Yes. You can watch ads to get daily Simpoints. See this for details: Looking for an opportunity to earn bonus SimPoints? (make sure your forum langauge is set to english or the link won't work)

There are also a few items that are free which are listed here: There is almost all FREE items from "The Sims 3 Store".

I installed my Store Content but it's not showing up in my game

Unfortunatly, the Launcher is a very unreliable tool. The more stuff you have, the greater the chance that files which have your stuff installed get messed up. If that starts happening to you. It's best ro reinstall all Store content, using this method:

• Close your game and launcher
  • Go to documents\electronicarts\thesims3 and move the folder DCCache to your desktop (this is ALL your custom content, so if you have 3rd party content as well, you might wanna just move the *.ebc files as well as the missingdeps.idx)
  • If you have any worlds installed go to the installedWorlds folder and delete all Store worlds from there.
  • Go to the DCBackup folder and delete everything in there. You don't really need the stuff in here except for the ccmerged file but since you're reinstalling everything, it will be recreated.
  • Open the launcher and start reinstalling all store stuff in groups. Don't install all in one go. Start with the worlds, then lots, then sets and single items last.

When you're done, backup the DCCache folder. If the same starts happening again, go back to that backup so you don't need to start over. Make a backup from time to time, especially after you've installed worlds and lots.

I can't find the venue I've installed

Venues are especially tricky and if you have a lot of content, have the tendency to not install at all.

First make sure that it's really not in your game. You should find the venue in the edit town in the community lot library. Sometimes they don't have a real name but only numbers. The icon they have also varies from showing as Store Content (the little shopping bag) to user-created content (red rosette).

If it's really not in the game, install it again, using this method:

• Close the game and launcher
  • Backup the whole folder documents\electronicarts\thesims3 to an external drive or some other safe location
  • Move the folder DCCache to the desktop
  • Start the launcher. ALL of your custom content except houses and Sims will be gone from your installed content. Not to worry about that.
  • Install the venue again
  • Check documents\electronicarts\thesims3\library if you have a new file which starts with ebf_ and has the timestamp fo the time you've installed the venue. Start over, if you don't
  • Delete the newly created DCCache folder in documents\electronicarts\thesims3 (NOT the one on your desktop)
  • Move the DCCache folder from the desktop back into documents\electronicarts\thesims3
  • Start the game. The venue should now be in your library and you should have all your stuff back as well.
  • If anything goes wrong, replace the whole folder with the backup you made.

I was charged too much. What do I do now ?

My Credit Card/Debit Card/Paypal doesn't work. What do I do now ?

If you were charged too much, get error messages on trying to purchase stuff or have any other problem with your Sims 3 Account, you need to Contact Customer Support Game Advisor. They are the only ones that can help you with those issues.

Game advisors can be found through live chat.

1. https://help.ea.com/en/contact-us/ 
  2. Click on the orange NEXT button
  3. Select a platform
  4. Click on the orange NEXT button
  5. Select a topic and describe your problem in a few words
  6. Click on the orange NEXT button
  7. Click Chat Now to chat with a Game Advisor

In Details here: How to contact a Game Advisor using the new EA Help page

What's Make me An Offer ?

Find all details about that here: [FAQ] Make Me An Offer

What's Complete Your Set

Find all details about that here: [FAQ] Complete Your Set

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 1 of 1 (77,622 Views)