[FAQ] Save Errors (Error 12, 13, 15, 16)

by crinrict

Original Post

Re: [FAQ] Save Errors (Error 12, 13, 15, 16)

Hero

That folder should only have content while the game is running. It stores some info during your game play (I don't know what is stored there and why EA started doing it this way). When you close your game, this folder should get emptied out automatically so it's basically only in use while your playing.

Sometimes, it doesn't get cleared and next time you start a game, you might run into a conflict so it's good to check if the folder got properly cleaned out (especially after a game crash or any other abnormal determination of the game).

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 31 of 90 (2,354 Views)

★★ Apprentice

@crinrict wrote:

That folder should only have content while the game is running. It stores some info during your game play (I don't know what is stored there and why EA started doing it this way). When you close your game, this folder should get emptied out automatically so it's basically only in use while your playing.

Sometimes, it doesn't get cleared and next time you start a game, you might run into a conflict so it's good to check if the folder got properly cleaned out (especially after a game crash or any other abnormal determination of the game).

Thanks, I am glad I know about it, I do have to clean it out all the time. Not sure why I have to almost every game, but at least I know, and clean it out.

Message 32 of 90 (2,352 Views)

Hero

That's rather strange. Try deleting the entire folder or move to the desktop. The game should create a new one. Maybe there's something up with the folder itself.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 33 of 90 (2,349 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Yeah, so one of the errors just happened to me, and now my Sims family wont load. After hours I spent on it, just that one particular family wont load, my sisters other familys work just fine. Can you explain why its just my Sim family thats broken?Is there a way I can fix it? Because my save file is in there, and my backup is in there, there was a .BAD file that I deleted... is there just some way I can restore my family?

Message 34 of 90 (2,330 Views)

Hero

Do you get an error message ? Does the backup not work either ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 35 of 90 (2,328 Views)

★★ Novice

"EA altered the executable file with Patch 1.17/etc so that the game can allocate 4 GB of RAM"

Do you have to manually tell the game to allocate 4GB of RAM or does patch 1.17 do it automatically?

I am having error 12 AGAIN! I do have 32 bit windows XP sadly. I did have 64 bit Windows 7 but had terrible error 12 issues there too so I rolled back because I didn't remember XP having as much issues.  I didn't realize the 64 vs. 32 bit could be apart of the problem so I will probably go back to XP 64 much to my chagrin.

I did up my paging file size but if 32 bit just can't handle more than 2 GB than it was pointless I suppose.

Thank you so much for the information! One of the best threads I have seen (and I have seen a lot).

Message 36 of 90 (2,243 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Sorry if this has already been said. Something that's worked for me sometimes, is when you do get the bad, backup and ordinary save file, is to delete the bad; and swap the backup and ordinary file. 

It's in the article in the Origin Help Centre, I can't see link to it here or a reference of what it said so...

Let me know if it's helpful for anyone

Message 37 of 90 (2,190 Views)

★★★★ Novice

is this problem likely to be resolved any time soon? does anyone know? and why does it keep happening? thanks

Message 38 of 90 (2,134 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I had issues with it not responding when I tried to save the game. When I let it run for a few seconds and then saved it said game error 16. I then saved it with success, but when I had made changes to my house for generally played the game, it wouldn't respond and shut down. I tried save as in a different name, I went in to the files and found a .bad file and moved it to the recycle bin, but nothing has worked. I don't believe it's a memory issue, but I don't know how to check if it is. What is going wrong?!?!?!

Message 39 of 90 (2,094 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POSTING THINGS THAT CAN BE DONE TO AVOID THE ERROR WHILE SAVING... WSH SIMS PPL WOULD JUST BE HONEST WITH US AND LET US KNOW THAT SOMETHING THIS SIMPLE CAN AVOID THE PROBLEM SO FAR IVE BEEN DOIN IT FOR 4 DAYS NOW DELETING THE FILES IN THE CURRENT GAMES FOLDER IF ANY AND SAVING OFTEN WITH A NEW NAME SO THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POSTING THIS,,,,

Message 40 of 90 (2,038 Views)