[FAQ] Save Errors (Error 12, 13, 15, 16)

by crinrict

Original Post

Re: [FAQ] Save Errors (Error 12, 13, 15, 16)

★★★★★ Novice

Well, it just happened yesterday, and I just wanted to know what it was.
This is some info I just dug up, even though it might be obvious
My Sims 3 base game is a year old, I don't know about my EPs and SP
My computer is a 2007 Acer computer with Windows Vista and all the latest updates.
Additonal info is, even though it won't affect my game in any way... and I feel like adding it
The monitor is a million-year-old Sceptre box monitor, my speakers are a thousand year old Labtec set.

I'm not suprised it's 32 bit *facepalm* 
...and we recently had to restore the computer due to full disc space and 6257 (my antivirus program even told me!) trojan viruses.

That was long.

Message 11 of 90 (7,062 Views)

Thank you and more questions.

★★ Apprentice

I was wondering 'why' on some of these:

• Use save as and a new name instead of save < I will try this, tho
  • Try saving in Edit Town mode as well as live mode
  • Try saving your game paused and unpaused and at different speed levels.
  • Move your saves folder to the desktop< I do have a back up folder on my desk top, learned the hard way to do that.
  • Never use save & quit. Always save your game first and then quit the game without saving. <Ihave most always done this, and am curious why I shouldnt, but if it helps I will try it.
  • Don't use spaces or special chars in your save game names.
  • If you have lots of stuff in your inventory, reduce it. < do you mean personal inventory (back pack) or shared home inventory or both?
Message 12 of 90 (6,926 Views)

Re: Thank you and more questions.

Hero

@dolphinlover wrote:

• Move your saves folder to the desktop< I do have a back up folder on my desk top, learned the hard way to do that.
  • Never use save & quit. Always save your game first and then quit the game without saving. <Ihave most always done this, and am curious why I shouldnt, but if it helps I will try it.
  • If you have lots of stuff in your inventory, reduce it. < do you mean personal inventory (back pack) or shared home inventory or both?

• This is mainly for Error 16 which is a problem with the file not writeable any more. If you use save as a new file is created
  • The two don't use the same amount of memory so you might get lucky and be able to save
  • That was a tip I read somewhere. Don't ask me why
  • Same reasons as 1 really. It will help you create a fresh file, especially if you have folders .bad in that folder
  • The game needs quite a while to save and to quit. If you seperate the two, you cut down on time and reduce the possibilty of something going wrong. Also it seems it just doens't work very well.
  • Should be self-explanatory
  • both. The game is very inefficiently programmed and if it needs to go through a lot of stuff, it can time-out.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 13 of 90 (6,925 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I often get the Save Error 12, which is weird Since I've got 16GB of RAM. I have noticed though that before this error happens either two things happen.

- The buttons i.e for Simport, instore etc are white blocks looking like a corrupt graphic

- The screen in game goes blurry like a pixlated graphics over laying the screen, this mostly happens during a performace or while build mode.

Message 14 of 90 (6,918 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Crinrict, isn't this article/post supposed to be a sticky? Because it's moving further down the page every day... Confusedmileysad:

Message 15 of 90 (6,914 Views)

Community Manager

This topic is a sticky. Confusedmileylol:

Thanks everyone!

Your friendly neighbourhood forum admin.

spectre.png
Message 16 of 90 (6,906 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Thanks so much Ursula! Confusedmileyvery-happy:

Gave you XP for another post - was meant for this though.

Message 17 of 90 (6,904 Views)

★★★★ Novice

My only concern is this. Mainly with save often, don't play long game sessions. It takes FOREVER to save a game. That's horribly inconvenient.  And reloading the game? You've got to be joking. Who has that kind of time? Maybe it's just my game, but it takes about a full minute to save, each time. That may not sound like a long time, but when you're staring at a rotating circle it's ridiculous. It takes forever to load the game then (recently) to log in. THEN I have to wait forever for the save game to load. Now even if I had the game paused when I saved it, NOW it's unpaused when I load it. So I cannnot hit load and walk away and do something else or I'm going to waste my sims life. I have to be right there waiting to hit the pause button. Can't someone so something about the horribly slow save/load times? Please...

Message 18 of 90 (6,895 Views)

★★★★ Novice

"both. The game is very inefficiently programmed and if it needs to go through a lot of stuff, it can time-out." This is my main problem with older more advanced characters and World Adventures. WA can fill your inventory quick. It's been out for so long though, I would think that someone would've fixed this by now. The question I have is, how is a family supposed to grow and pass things down, or for Sims with regular access to age reducing things like Ambrosia to collect a good amount of artifacts to put on display? I love this game, but it ALWAYS falls apart on me when the sim or family of sims get too old or have produced too many generations. Isn't that the ultimate goal? To grow your sim into it's full potential? I remember lot limits on console versions. Maybe they should at least tell you when your inventory is getting too full, so that glitch can be avoided. Sorry.

Message 19 of 90 (6,895 Views)

★★ Apprentice

@crinrict wrote:

@dolphinlover wrote:

• This is mainly for Error 16 which is a problem with the file not writeable any more. If you use save as a new file is created
  • The two don't use the same amount of memory so you might get lucky and be able to save
  • That was a tip I read somewhere. Don't ask me why
  • Same reasons as 1 really. It will help you create a fresh file, especially if you have folders .bad in that folder
  • The game needs quite a while to save and to quit. If you seperate the two, you cut down on time and reduce the possibilty of something going wrong. Also it seems it just doens't work very well.
  • Should be self-explanatory
  • both. The game is very inefficiently programmed and if it needs to go through a lot of stuff, it can time-out.

Thank you so much crinrict!!! I really appreciate all your hard work in supporting all of us simmers. I have followed your advice on other sites as well. I have stopped saving and quitting, started saving as new file and still saving to my back up folder. I did move my sim to a new hood, which I have done before and it fixed a lot of probles. I dont like to do it, but it does make my game run better. I have had no crashes since. Thank you thank you thank you

Message 20 of 90 (6,843 Views)