Re: [FAQ] Save Errors (Error 12, 13, 15, 16)

by Diattyy

Original Post

★ Novice

Thank you. Your advice is really useful.

Message 81 of 90 (1,970 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thank you, I fixed error 16 by saving with another name

Message 82 of 90 (1,932 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Had error 12 many times first i deleted some things to open up some more space then i tried 'Try saving your game paused and unpaused and at different speed levels.'. It worked but i don't know cause of which one but thanks for your help!

Message 83 of 90 (1,871 Views)

★ Novice

I have windows 10 - 16GB ram, 1TB hard drive, intelcore i7 and nvidia geforce gtx 950M - the game still gives me error 12, lags and randomly crashes.

Message 84 of 90 (1,795 Views)

@Atila_DIY23  The information in the original post is still relevant:  TS3 is a 32-bit app, and can only use ~3.7 GB RAM (4 GB minus some overhead) at a time before it gets unstable and in danger of crashing.  It doesn't matter that you have 16 GB installed; the game won't be able to take advantage of it.

One thing you should check is your in-game frame rates.  High rates or large fluctuations could account for some of the lagging and crashing.  Your fps should never go above the refresh rate of your monitor, which is likely 60 Hz.  To see your fps in-game, bring up the cheats console (crtl-shift-c) and enter "fps on" without quotes.  A number will show up in the upper right corner of your screen.  ("fps off" makes it go away.)

Since TS3 has no working fps limiter of its own, you'd need to use an outside tool to control your frame rates.  For Nvidia cards, the first choice is the built-in Nvidia Control Panel.  But if it doesn't work (and it never works in windowed mode), you can try Nvidia Inspector (free download).  Here are screenshots of the setups for both tools, under the spoilers:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16540301/#Comment_16540301

Keep in mind that for an Origin install, you'd need to use TS3.exe, but for a Steam or disc install, you'd use TS3w.exe, with the "w."

The other question is which world(s) you're currently playing.  Some are built better than others, and a few custom worlds are simply too large for the game engine to handle.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 85 of 90 (1,785 Views)

★★★ Novice

I got an error 16 and resaved my game with a new name, this worked fine but when I went to save before quitting that file then got an error 16 and I've had to create yet another new name file. Will I have to keep doing this over and over to avoid error 16 or is there anything else I can do? I'm also unable to delete the old saves both on the main menu and within the actual computer files.

Message 86 of 90 (1,604 Views)

@Zaptrollwen  When you try to remove the save files from within a File Explorer window, what happens?  Do you get an error message, do the saves just show up again, etc.?  It sounds like your Documents folder might be synced with cloud storage; try disabling that to test.  I'm not sure whether it would help with the Error 16s, but it's worth trying.

Message 87 of 90 (1,597 Views)

★★★★ Expert

@Zaptrollwen  In addition to the above response: I always use the option Save As, when I save my game. It just feels safer and better that way. I have never had a error 16 though. When the saves in the save folder reaches the number of ca 10-15; I cut all but the last one out and put them on my other drive for safe keeping. It it completely harmless to make Save As copies, instead of just Save; and it also makes it possible for some organization, by way of naming the saves.

Message 88 of 90 (1,582 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have gotten error 16 on my sims 3, but it dont work saving in a different name. Even though i can see the saves on my sims 3 file on my computer. But when i try to save it says bad after the save file. What do i do... I have tried and tried and tried.. I'm so done

Message 89 of 90 (1,408 Views)

@OreoKjeks  Try loading and renaming the save in a clean folder.  This is just for testing, so don't worry about any missing objects warning.  Move your entire Sims 3 folder out of Doocuments\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop, then launch the game, which will create a new folder, and quit from the Main Menu.  Go into Saves inside the save folder you moved, copy (don't just drag and drop) the folder with your save name on it, and paste it inside Saves in your new Sims 3 folder.  Load the save and try to use "save as" to rename the save.

If that doesn't work, please open the folder for that save file, take a screenshot of its contents, and attach it to a post.

Message 90 of 90 (1,390 Views)