[FAQ] Invalid and Used Serial Codes & Games not showing up in Origin

by crinrict

Original Post

Re: [FAQ] Invalid and Used Serial Codes & Games not showing up in Origin

★★★★ Pro

Technically the store was right.  The game will still work and the code can be used when downloading the game to your computer.  However, EA is also right; they do not give out new codes for second hand copies.  This means you can still play the game, but you don't get any of the benefits of registering your game including joining the Sims site and downloading stuff from the store and exchange, etc.  Hope this explains things a little better for you.

Message 41 of 96 (2,589 Views)

★★★ Newbie

It does.

But it doesn't change the fact that I can't install the game onto my computer. 

When using Origin, it asks for the code and when I enter it, it doesn't work. 

Can someone explain to me how to install the game so that I don't have this trouble. I don't care about being online and getting extra stuff - I just want to play the game.

Thanks again.

Message 42 of 96 (2,587 Views)

★★★★ Pro

You can't use Origin because it's a second-hand code; but you don't need to use it to just download the game.  Did you try installing the game regularly, without Origin, from the CD? following the prompts from the CD?

Message 43 of 96 (2,585 Views)

★★★ Newbie

It automatically boots Origin.

Message 44 of 96 (2,583 Views)

★★★★ Pro

Did some research (aka googling) and it seems newer versions of the base game now require Origin just to download, like in your case.  This means the game will not install on another computer once the code is registered.  If I were you, I'd return to the store you bought and explain that to the store because that game is useless now.  Essentially, they'll be losing money too now if they're buying back second-hand games that can't be played.  Sorry that sucks (if my information is correct).  Maybe someone else can chime in to verify if they know more.  

Message 45 of 96 (2,569 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

It is true that you now need Origin if you buy the newer version game (Sims Refresh). That is already patched to 1.42 and requires Origin. It should say that it needs an Internet Connection of on the back of the case.

Now if the game was bought used, it's possible that you got an older game and can still install without but if the setup makes you install Origin and you don't have a possibilty to click it away, you need Origin.

I really don't know how the whole process works with those newer discs for I've seen different reports but I guess you need to make an account with Origin and then register the game for it to work. EA really doesn't like you to have used games.

Tell the shop to check what they are selling. Could you check the box if it says anything about a Internet connection ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 46 of 96 (2,562 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@crinrict, he is receving error because of used copy only. Disc version doen't need Origin to install it, but if you ahd used any patch then it will ask for Origin.

If game is asking for account somewhere then it means it is checking it through internet connection if provided. So if you haven't applied and crack to stop it then game will not allow you to play because code you are using is already registered with different account.

So ask for Email account also when you are purchasing used copy.

Message 47 of 96 (2,541 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

I asked Graham about that and he said that the newer Sims Base game (the Sims Refresh) comes already patched to 1.42 and does require in fact Origin.

I do have the disc myself and do not have Origin installed but I bought it in 2009. My game is fully patched.

So if the base game was bought around patch 1.42, you do indeed require Origin now. You still don't need a permanent internet connection. Just one to verify once like the download version.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 48 of 96 (2,538 Views)

I Bought A Game A While Ago & It Won't Show Up In My Games

★★★ Newbie

I bought Sims 3 Supernatural on Origin a while back, around when it first came out.  It downloaded on my old laptop just fine and it was in my games file, but then I got a new laptop and I was installing all my Sims games and I noticed that it wasn't on my games list.  So I went on my purchase history and checked it and it wasn't on there either!  I don't know what happened and I really don't want to buy it again because I spent at least $30-$40 on it and I don't want to spend another $20 to just rebuy it. 

Can someone help me please?  I just want to be able to get my game back, I've checked the Program Files in the computer system under Origin and it wasn't there either!  Has anyone else had this problem?  Please help!

Message 49 of 96 (2,483 Views)

★ Novice

thanks this should help!!!

Message 50 of 96 (2,516 Views)