[FAQ] Installation, Updating and Startup Issues

by crinrict

Original Post

[FAQ] Installation, Updating and Startup Issues

[ Edited ]
Hero

Please refer to this FAQ for a few common issues and solutions. If you have further issues, use search to see if someone else had a similar issue and if you don't find a solution, start your own thread with as much info as possible.

If you have issues with your Serial Code or downloading, please refer to this this post: [FAQ] Serial Codes, Game Activation and Download issues and also refer to the Origin FAQ for general Origin troubleshooting: [READ FIRST] Common Issues and Solutions.   

A few known issues and basic trouble shooting steps can be found here: [FAQ] Troubleshooting Steps & Known Issues

Index

How do I install the game ?

Can I install the game on multiple Computers ?

The Installation is super slow

My disc can't be read

How do I uninstall the Game ?

What are Backups ?

Where can I find my User Files ? 

What are Patches/Updates ?

How do I start the game ?

Do I need an Internet Connection to play the game ?

The Play button in Origin is gray

The game doesn't update properly (failed or nothing happens)

I have updated the game but it still asks me to update

The Game doesn't start

How do I install the game ?

Can I install the game on multiple Computers ?

You're allowed to install the game on up to 5 computers at the same time but you can only play it on one at any given time since you need to login into Origin to play the game.

If you no longer use the game on a certain computer, make sure to uninstall it while connected to the Internet to free up the license.

The Installation is super slow

Make sure there's no other programs interfering. You can also use the Process Monitor (just google) to see if anything else is taking priority over your installation.

My disc can't be read

First make sure that there aren't any scratches on the disc and check if you can open the content of the disc by right-clicking on the DVD drive icon on Computer and choosing Open. If that works, try double clicking on setup.exe to install the game.

If your computer still can't read the disc, either exchange it or get the download version for free instead. To do so, activate your game code on Origin and the follow instructions to install the download version.

How do I uninstall the Game ?

The base game can be uninstalled by right clicking on the game in Origin and choosing Uninstall. This will uninstall the base game as well any Extra Content and the Holiday Celebration Pack.

The best way to uninstall the packs is to uninstall the base game with all the packs and then reinstall the base game only

Before uninstalling, you should backup your user files (see below)

What are Backups ?

The user files contain all your personal Sims data like your save game, the Sims you've created or mods/cc you have installed. To make sure you don't loose that, it's important to backup these things so you can put them back should they get lost. 

You should backup your user files on a regular basis but in particular before updating your game or reinstalling.

Instructions can be found here: Backups and here (specific to save games): Save Games.

Where can I find my User Files ?

Your user files can be found in this folder: documents\electronicarts\thesims4\. An explanation to what file does what is here: User files explained

What are Patches/Updates ?

Every once in a while, EA will release a Patch/Update for the game which adds new stuff to your game and/or fixes game issues. Most of them are mandatory so you need to update your game in order to be able to play.

If you have automatic updates turned on in Origin, the game will be patched without you having to do anything. If not, you'll find a link to patch on the game itself or you can choose Update Game by right clicking on the game in Origin.

Details can be found here: Patching

How do I start the game ?

You can start the game by either double clicking on the short-cut on your desktop or by pressing Play on the Origin Client.

Starting the game through the short-cut will also start Origin and there is no way to turn if off. You can minimize it but not turn it off.

Do I need an Internet Connection to play the game ?

It is possible to play the game offline without an Internet Connection but you need to have one to install and activate the game. After you installed the game, run it once with an Internet Connection, then start Origin, login and put it in offline mode. You will need to login into Origin each time you start the game but you can do so in offline mode. 

If you run into issues when trying to run the game, see below for a few suggestions.

The Play button in Origin is gray

Make sure your game is updated to the newest version (see above). If that is the case and the play button is still gray, try the following things (or any combination of it)

The game doesn't update properly (failed or nothing happens)

(Credits)

1. Open Task Manager (right click on the bar at the bottom)
  2. Open the 'Processes' tab (may vary depending on your OS)
  3. Check if you have a proces ts4 running and if so, end it
  4. The update should now download without crashing every time you go to retry.

I have updated the game but it still asks me to update

Try right clicking on the game in Origin and hit Repair.

If you have this error in game, you most probably have this issue: [SOLUTION] Savegame was saved with a newer version.

The game doesn't start

Try the suggestions below

[credits to ceejay402 & EA team]

General Startup Issues

1. Ensure that Antivirus or security software is not blocking the launch of the game
  2. Run a Repair of the game client. To do this, right-click the game panel in Origin and choose the Repair option.
  3. Make sure that you run Origin and the game as administrator
  4. Check that you do not have any programs running that my cause conflict with Origin
  5. If that still does not help, please run a Clean Boot as this will help with stopping any other programs from interfering
  6. Update your drivers 
  7. Try starting the game in Windowed mode

Some more suggestions can be found here: [FAQ] Troubleshooting Steps & Known Issues

Specific Startup Issues

VC++ error code 1603 

Follow the linked steps

• If the issue persists try these steps
    Spoiler
    1. Go to Windows Update
    2. Click Installed Updates
    3. Find Update KB2918614 in the list and uninstall it.
    4. Restart your computer.
    5. Run Sims 4 installation again.
    6. Play Sims 4
  • If you are on Windows 8 or 8.1 and the steps aren't working, try them on an Admin account.
  • Spoiler
    Go to Control Panel > Accounts > Create a New Microsoft Account.
    Check that this is an Admin account, then try the steps above again.

"Invalid License.  Reason code = Missing DLL: [msvcp120.dll] Error: 0x7E" 

Install vcredist_x86.exe from Microsoft. [Instructions in spoiler]

Spoiler
1. Go to linked Microsoft page.
2. Click red download button
3. Select vcredist_x86.exe and click next.
4. Double click the downloaded file from your browser downloads and proceed with the installation. 
 5. Check the game again. If the issue persists, complete steps 1to 4 again, but this time choose vcredist_x64.

Origin is not running, make sure that it is running before attempting to play the Sims 4 (d3382ced:984c6a38:00000000)

It's unclear what's causing this issue at this point but there's a few suggestions in this thread: Origin is not running message (d3382ced:984c6a38:00000000)... although it is

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 1 of 1 (32,240 Views)