Re: Common Questions

by crinrict

Original Post

Accepted Solution

[FAQ] 64 Bit for PC - Post your questions/concerns here

Hero

What is 64-bit?

• All modern versions of Windows are available in two flavors: 32-bit and 64-bit.  Most users on Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10 are using the 64-bit version.
  • 32-bit Windows can only run 32-bit applications.
  • 64-bit Windows can run both 32-bit and 64-bit applications.
  • 32-bit applications are restricted to 4 GB of memory usage, regardless of how much physical memory your computer has.  If a 32-bit application uses more than 4 GB it will crash.
  • 64-bit applications do not have this limitation, so can make better use of your hardware.

How does this impact The Sims™ 4?

• Prior to version 1.13, The Sims 4 was only a 32-bit application.
  • As of version 1.13 (released December 2015), The Sims 4 can be run either as a 32-bit application or as a 64-bit application.
  • For most players, Origin will automatically choose the correct version to run and this is not something you need to worry about.

What is better about the 64-bit version of The Sims 4?

• Short answer: The Sims 4 will be more stable when running the 64-bit version.
  • Long answer:
    • The Sims 4 is designed to use less than 4GB of memory, so in most cases there is no difference between the 32-bit and 64-bit versions.
    • However there are scenarios where the game may take more than 4GB memory.   
      • For instance, if you are playing on large heavily populated lots.
    • With the 64-bit version of The Sims 4, the game will no longer crash when these scenarios are encountered.

Can I use the 64-bit version of The Sims 4?

• If you are on a 64-bit version of Windows, then you can run the 64-bit version of The Sims 4 and by default Origin will automatically launch it for you.
  • However, we do not recommend running the 64-bit version of The Sims 4 if you have less than 4 GB of memory, or if you are running Windows Vista.
  • 64-bit is not supported on Window XP.

I received the following dialog when starting the game, what does it mean?

• It means you have less than 4 GB of memory or you are on Windows Vista.  In these configurations we recommend manually switching back to the 32-bit version of The Sims 4.

How do I run the 32-bit version of The Sims 4?

• If you are on a 64-bit version of Windows and would like to run the 32-bit version of The Sims 4, do the following:
    • Right click on The Sims 4 tile in Origin.
    • Select “Game Properties
    • Change the “When launching this Game” setting to “The Sims 4 32-bit

What about Mac?

• The Mac version of The Sims 4 is 64-bit only.

Source: The Sims 4 - Choosing between 64-bit or 32-bit versions

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 1 of 33 (7,804 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: [FAQ] 64 Bit for PC - Post your questions/concerns here

Community Manager

@LinKuei06 Hey, do you have an image of this? Do you have any other games in Origin and do they have this same issue?

Perhaps if you clear your local Origin cache it'll help. This can fix the problem when games don't appear, so perhaps it will help with this. 

https://help.ea.com/en-ca/help/origin/origin/origin-my-games-list-is-blank/

Thanks, please let us know how you get on. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png

View in thread

Message 33 of 33 (4,841 Views)

All Replies

Common Questions

[ Edited ]
Hero

I get the following Error Message: Unable to Start, Initialization error at startup: 135dec40:984c6a38:000000077

This error seems to occur for the 64 bit version as it seems something about the game is corrupt and the 64 bit version can't be loaded. Try either of the following suggestions

• Right-Click on the game in Origin and hit repair game
  • Right-Click on the game in Origin and hit game properties. Then change your language to something different, let it update, then switch back to yours. This might take a while
  • Reinstall the game.

How can I find out, if the game is actually running the 64 bit version ?

• Minimize your game
  • Start the task Manager by right-clicking on the Windows bar and choosing Task Manager
  • For Win 7 find TS4.exe under processes. If it has a *32 next to it, you're running 32 bit. In Win 8 and 10 it will say The Sims 4 (32 bit) 

I should have > 4 GB RAM and Win 7/8/8.1/10 but yet it's running the 32 bit version

• First make sure that it's set to run the 64 bit version in Origin (click on game details, run 64 bit)
  • If that is the case and it's still running 32 bit, make sure that the language of Origin and the language of the game match. Change language of Origin if necessary, then launch the game again. Be aware that Spanish (Mexico) <> Spanish (Spain) and similar.

All kinds of errors with Visual C++ Redistributable

If you get any errors with either the Visual C++ Redistributable itself or the follwoing dlls: msvcr<insert number>.dll, msvcp<instert number>.dll and similar, you need to make sure you have the 64 bit version of Visual C++ Redistributable 2013 properly installed on your computer

First make sure you have all Windows Updates and Service Packs available installed. If that doesn't help, proceed to steps below.

1. Go to Add Programs and find Visual C++ 2013 x64 Redistributable. If you do not have this, you will need to install it. If you do have it, uninstall it.
  2. Go to this page: https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=40784
  3. Choose your language (= Language your Windows installation is in)

4. Click Download
  5. Put a check mark next to  this file: vcredist_x64.exe and then download

6. Double click on the downloaded file to install.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 33 (7,801 Views)

★★ Apprentice

At first I want to appreciate all Maxis and EA members to improve TS4 and released this update.The new visual effects are nice.However I find a severe bug when it runs game in 64bit mode.The problem is stated as followed:

Some laptop(mainly gaming laptop)has two graphic cards and when it's running games that require lots of resources,it will switch to the High Performence graphic card automatically as long as the driver is latest and the setting is correct.However after the Sims 4 released 64bit update,there's a big problem for TS4 to detect High Performence graphic card such as Nvidia and AMD and therefore the game will show an error message,forced to be run with intergrated graphic cards like Intel HD.Even I use control panel of Nvidia to force TS4 running at Nvidia graphic card,it still doesn't work.As a result,once you use higher visual settings,the game will become very laggy.At first I thought it's my own problem but after testing it on my classmates' laptops I fond that this is a common issue and is especially high likely to happen on those top mobile graphic cards,such as GTX970M or GTX980M(Mine is 980M).Fortunately I can temporarily solve it by starting the game on 32bit mode.On 32bit mode the game can successfully detect and run with high performence graphic card.However I don't think this will be an excuse to not fix it.So I wish the team will check and solve the issue on the next update,making the game experience better with 64bit mode.

Best regards.

Message 3 of 33 (7,585 Views)

Hero

Thanks for that info. That's good to know.

Can you post a screenshot of that error message ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 4 of 33 (7,583 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

I would love to help but unfortunately I think the message will display only at the first time you run the game after update because now I won't see it anymore.However I can approximately remember what did the message say.It's like 'The game cannot verify you graphic card,so the settings will adjust automatically.'

Besides,that message is a in-game message,not a Windows OS message.

Wish these can help.

Message 5 of 33 (7,573 Views)

Hero

Hm, that's usually the message you get when the game doesn't know the card exists so it just assumes something and adjusts your settings to what it's thinking it would be fine.

After that, you can set the settings yourself to whatever you think appropriate. Should not have anything to do with if the game runs on the card or the chip.

I'll try if I can get some more info on this.

Thanks again.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 6 of 33 (7,551 Views)

Hero

@IamPonyPinkiePie 

when replying to someone with a dual graphics setup, it just occurred to me that you now need to ad ts4_64.exe to the Nvidia panel. Is that the file you selected ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 7 of 33 (7,537 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Yes you are right.After reporting it I was aware that whether I can manually set the control panel to solve it.And I fond the default card of ts4x64.exe is truly intergrated card.Because I was used to simply using the overall settings of Nvidia graphic card,I forgot to try adjust it manually.And now the problem was gone.Thank you.Meanwhile I still wish at the next update the x64 exe can automatically detect graphic card Standard smile

Message 8 of 33 (7,511 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Only a detail, for spanish (languaje) users:

The Sims 4 the only spanish version available is Spanish (Spain)

I had that error of The Sims 4 running 32-bits still with Origin and The Sims apparently in spanish but.... Origin was at Spanish (Mexico)

Message 9 of 33 (7,486 Views)

Hero

Thanks. Yeah, Portuguese will probably have the same issue.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 10 of 33 (7,469 Views)