Extremely Annoying Lag

by SeanODonger

Original Post

Extremely Annoying Lag

★★★ Newbie

Until recently, I've never really had any problems with the games performance. However, I'm now getting random spikes of lag in live mode, and everyime I go to build mode. It can be quickly and easily remedied by simply pressing escape, and then exiting the menu that brings up, but I'd much prefer to get rid of this issue altogether. I've got a GTX 1080, and an i7-8770k, so I doubt it has anything to do with my hardware.

Message 1 of 4 (325 Views)

Re: Extremely Annoying Lag

★★★★★ Guide

Hi;

It's interesting you bring this up, as I've had the same sort of thing happen in my own game for a while now (We're talking as far back as 2017.) Usually just restarting the game ends up clearing up the issue on my end. I only see this sort of situation happen after extended periods of game play (Such as when I leave the game on for like more than 24 hours.)

I've got a GTX 980 Ti (I have three of them) myself and still experience this issue. I can't really pinpoint if it's system or application-related, unfortunately.

Maybe it has something to do with how resources transition between Live and Build Mode? I do notice when I have to swap between the two, that there tends to be not only a delay when swapping between them, but then an unusual "slowness" that occurs when the Mode actually opens. I play with some large lots as well, so load going back to Live Mode takes longer, but that's likely because of how much has to be reloaded for interactions on my lot.

Hopefully there's more information on this.

- B

Message 2 of 4 (314 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thank you for the reply! However, my issue begins as soon as I start the game, and does not fix itself after I restart the game.

Message 3 of 4 (287 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

Hmm, if you're having issues as soon as you start the game, there may be issues with what the game is loading at startup as opposed to what's being accessed on the lot or in Live/Build mode.

Have you tried starting a completely separate save file, without any mods or anything? I'd back up your saves/mods before you attempt this if you haven't, but see if that actually changes performance. If it doesn't, it could be something either with the system, or with the installation. I'd take the following steps to troubleshoot:

1: Back up your Sims 4 folder so that your mods and saves are maintained.

2: Move out all saves/mods from your Sims 4 folder after having performed Step 1.

3: Delete the localthumbcache.package file in your Sims 4 folder.

4: Start the game and attempt to play, see if performance has changed. (If not, continue to step 5.)

5: Perform a Repair of Sims 4 through Origin. (If this doesn't change anything, continue to step 6.)

6: Perform a Factory Reset of Sims 4 without Reinstalling: (Use this help article provided by crinrict; if you do not feel comfortable with the steps involved, make sure to have a experienced Windows user perform the steps within.)

If you are still running into issues beyond this point, this would indicate that you might want to start looking at the problem from the system level; update your graphics card driver, make sure everything on your computer is up to date, steps such as that.

Hopefully I'm not giving you too much homework, heh.

- B

Message 4 of 4 (271 Views)