Re: Every time I try to start the launcher for Sims 3, it says 'Startup Error, see log for details

by EA_Nils

Original Post

Every time I try to start the launcher for Sims 3, it says 'Startup Error, see log for details

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I bought the Sims 3, and a few of the expansions (I'll list below) on Amazon, and was playing them on my boyfriend's computer. I recently got my own computer, so I uninstalled them from his computer, and went to install them on mine. I downloaded them all from Origin onto my computer and installed them, but when I went to actually play, I got a pop-up error saying 'Start Up Error, See Log For Details'. Well, not only do I not know how to find this log, but I don't know how to fix the issue.

Steps I've already taken:

I've uninstalled all of them, and reinstalled just the base game. No change, still get the error.

I tried deleting the Dccache file, but there is nothing in the 'Electronic Arts' game file in 'My Documents'.

I had no problem with the games on my boyfriend's computer, which I've been playing them on for approximately two-three months. I'm running Windows 7, and I know it's not hardware related, as I'm able to run WoW, Guild Wars 2, Star Wars: The Old Republic, and other MMOs without issue or lag. So it's not my computer. I'm getting mildly irritated that I have $100 worth of games that I can't play, and I've wasted my entire weekend trying to get them to work.

Not sure if it's important, but the expansions I have (currently not installed)

High End Loft Stuff

Supernatural

Island Paradise

Supernatural

Pets

Ambitions

Late Night

World Adventures

If someone could please tell me how to fix this, I'd be most grateful. I'm about ready to chuck my computer out the window in frustration at this point. I've read that other people are having the same problem, but none of the solutions I've read have worked, or they haven't applied.

Message 1 of 3 (220 Views)

Re: Every time I try to start the launcher for Sims 3,

★★★★★ Expert

In my opinion, the greatest value of coming into the Answer HQ website is to access the accumulated wisdom of the Senior members playing your game, and ask for their advice / suggestions.  Answer HQ is a game player self help website.  You posted into the Origin System discussion forum.  It is my opinion that you have cut tyourself off from the major resource you could have in here that way. 

Lately, when I make a suggestion to the Admins about anything, I am ignored.  So I stopped suggesting that they move what are in my opinion, misposted messages.  I suggest to you that you will benefit if you will go to thebottom left of your original message to the link about "Inappropriate Content", and then tell them in that dialog box that you changed your mind about where the message should be and would like them to put it in your game's dedicated forum. 

My opinion may differ from other gamers' opinions.

Message 2 of 3 (208 Views)

Re: Every time I try to start the launcher for Sims 3, it says 'Startup Error, see log for details

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

@Saoirse_Laochra Hi,

Sorry to hear how long this has been annoying you. I have moved your thread to the Sims 3 forums and I would suggest to start by trying all the things suggested in this FAQ by crinrict here: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/FAQ-There-was-an-error-during-Startup/td-p/65390

Should this not resolve your issue, please let us know in here.

Cheers,

Nils

Message 3 of 3 (194 Views)