Every time I try to open The Sims 4 it just opens Origin.

by CLAire154128

Original Post

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Every time I try to open The Sims 4 it just opens Origin.

★★★ Newbie

I bought the game on steam, and I was able to play it yesterday. I have no idea how to solve this.

Message 1 of 4 (402 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Every time I try to open The Sims 4 it just opens Origin.

@CLAire154128  The AMD graphics driver is crashing over and over and taking Sims 4 down with it.  Since there's a newer driver available from AMD, you can simply install that one.  You'll want the one that's dated March 17 and says "recommended," not the newer optional driver.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-5300-series/amd-radeon-rx-5300-series/amd-radeon-...

Run the installer as an admin: right-click on the download and select "Run as administrator."  It's been a while since I installed an AMD driver, but please look for an option to perform a clean install or remove the current driver; it might be hidden behind the option to do a "custom" (rather than "express" or "standard") install.  Restart your computer after installing and before trying to play.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 4 of 4 (272 Views)

All Replies

@CLAire154128  Please run both Steam and Origin as an admin: right-click on each one's shortcut and select "Run as administrator."  Make sure you're signed into the Origin account that's linked to the Steam account that owns Sims 4 as well.  If you want to double-check, go to ea.com and sign in with your Steam credentials, then see which EA account shows up.

If the above doesn't help, please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Message 2 of 4 (379 Views)

★★★ Newbie

So I've linked the DxDiag thing, and I tried running steam and Origin as an admin. I checked, and my origin account is linked to my steam account. I was able to play the Sims 4 when I downloaded it without issue, but after I turned off the computer and turned it back on I haven't been able to play since, despite reinstalling both The Sims 4 and Origin multiple times.

Message 3 of 4 (291 Views)

@CLAire154128  The AMD graphics driver is crashing over and over and taking Sims 4 down with it.  Since there's a newer driver available from AMD, you can simply install that one.  You'll want the one that's dated March 17 and says "recommended," not the newer optional driver.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-5300-series/amd-radeon-rx-5300-series/amd-radeon-...

Run the installer as an admin: right-click on the download and select "Run as administrator."  It's been a while since I installed an AMD driver, but please look for an option to perform a clean install or remove the current driver; it might be hidden behind the option to do a "custom" (rather than "express" or "standard") install.  Restart your computer after installing and before trying to play.

Message 4 of 4 (273 Views)