Error during startup

by missydiabolic

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Error during startup

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I know there are other posts about this issue, but I have exhausted all the possible fixes and nothing has worked, I'm so frustrated right now.

Here is what happened:

1.Installed the sims 3 base game. no old files from previous installs floating about to muck things up. My driver, framework etc are more than adequate for the game, it's a very new and shiny PC.

2. Test ran the game. No problems, worked like a beauty. But I want to get expansions and new features, so I want to update to a newer version.

3 Quit game, made sure I had the latest installation of Origin. Updated game to latest version. Update took FOREVER but eventually completed with no reported problems.

4. Opened the launcher, got the 'error during startup, see log' message.

I then tried the following fixes, none of which worked:

1. Completely deleted all things origin then reinstalled to latest version

2. Tried running game, as administrator. 

3. Tried bypassing the launcher with the .exe, both normally and as administrator

4. Manually uninstalled the whole game, reinstalled, re updated. same problem.

5. Deleted .cache files

6. Tried manually donwnloading the latest update, didn't work.( then reinstalled game AGAIN in case external source update made things even worse.)

Notes: I don't have any expansions installed yet, or CAW or anything like that. No custom content or mods. Not even any save games yet.

I could just play the base game without the patches, but I want the darn updates, I want to play the expansions I paid for. I'm pulling my hair out here. The only thing I have left to try is the 'super patch' which, despite having super high speed broadband, is taking hours to download. I will update if it works but at this point, I don't hold out much hope. I can also try just installing an expansion on top and see if that works, but even if it does other people who have this problem and don't have expansions are still going to be stuck.

Someone help me!

Also, the 'error log' the warning tells me about is nowhere to be found, either in programme files or documents.

p.s. when the error message pops up, I can see the launcher in the background and it says 'version 0.0.0.0...' even though the update was version 1.5... I have looked up this problem and tried all the verion 0 solutions too.

Message 1 of 4 (519 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Error during startup

★★★ Newbie

Found a fix that actually worked for me, i'm so relieved! turns out although I thought I had manually uninstalled previous expansions and everything there- following online guides on how to manually uninstall- there were still some files floating about in my registry- in my case ambitions- that were the source of the problem. This video made it easy to follow:

Click to see youtube vid

hope this helps others. happy simming.

View in thread

Message 3 of 4 (502 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

update: just tried the 'super patch'. nope. Still getting the error message. I could just cry now.

2nd update: Tried installing an expansion pack -generations- hoping maybe it would somehow update itself and fix all. Nope. Longshot and didn't work. I'm now uninstalling everything again. I'm going to install the base game, not update, then put the expansion on and see what happens. I'm at the head bashing a keyboard stage now...

3rd update: Reinstalled everything from scratch, didn't update after base game, only when prompted at expansion installation. STILL getting the error message. I am now completely out of ideas and am so angry, I've paid for these products that are unusable, and I know they've worked in the past so it's some new problem with the latest update. Wouldn't be so infuriating if it weren't for the fact that the update is MANDATORY to install the expansion. Why make something mandatory if it doesn't work!? 

Message 2 of 4 (513 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Found a fix that actually worked for me, i'm so relieved! turns out although I thought I had manually uninstalled previous expansions and everything there- following online guides on how to manually uninstall- there were still some files floating about in my registry- in my case ambitions- that were the source of the problem. This video made it easy to follow:

Click to see youtube vid

hope this helps others. happy simming.

Message 3 of 4 (503 Views)

★★ Novice

the vid was taking down

Message 4 of 4 (320 Views)