Error code 16 after new windows 11 update.

by mushroomsara

Original Post

Re: Error code 16 after new windows 11 update.

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

@PalindromeAnna Thanks for the tips! If my error 16 issue ever arises again i will try this out!

I am fortunate that i haven't had the error 16 pop up since last week but i have TS3 on steam and have put both my launcher and the TS3W application in the exception for windows security as well as the electronics art folder. Ever since putting it into compatability mode windows 8 i haven't had the problem, but at least i can open my game now as before i was getting both the error 16 message ALL the time plus the dreaded "a serious error has occurred..." but now i do not. I only had nraas mods and very few cc in my game and its fine. I am reluctant at the moment to try putting in my store content lol.

I reallllly hope this issue gets fixed by either EA or at some point by Microsoft idk but i really doubt this though.

Message 81 of 103 (1,573 Views)

@PalindromeAnna  The other way to move the location of the Sims 3 user folder is through a symbolic link.  You'd want to first move Documents back to its default location, then create the symlink just for the Sims 3 folder (or the Electronic Arts folder if you prefer) pointing to wherever you choose.  This guide was written for Sims 4, but the principle is the same:

https://crinrict.com/blog/2020/02/moving-windows-documents-folder-to-external-drive-via-symbolic-lin...

I'm not saying I know this will help with the Error 16s, only that you have another option if you'd like the Documents directory to be in its default location.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 82 of 103 (1,544 Views)

★ Apprentice

Hi, had this issue months ago. Got too upset with it alongside other troubles in my life so I just uninstalled the game. Recently came back to it but bought it fully on origin (was previously a disc install) to see if that would fix it. Obviously it did not, but I've read through this entire thread and want to make sure; The solution seems to be setting it to run in windows 8 compatiblity mode? I just want to check before I try it because there's several replies and it's a little confusing.

Message 83 of 103 (1,117 Views)

@transonlyocean  Running the game in compatibility mode for Windows 8 is one of the workarounds, but it doesn't help everyone.  Other potential workarounds are setting an exception for TS3.exe, as well as Origin.exe or EADesktop.exe, in Windows Defender's Controlled Folder Access; completely disabling OneDrive; and playing with no mods or store or custom content.  For the last one, I'm not sure whether the problem is having any mods or cc at all, or just having a large amount.

One user on another site reported that setting the FeaturedItems folder to read-only contributed to their issue: undoing this setting significantly lowered the rate at which they saw this error.  I haven't read any other similar reports though.

Message 84 of 103 (1,110 Views)

★ Apprentice

Hey so I tried doing it and it worked! I was so happy but when I installed my store content again the error came back, I can't save any game with it installed!! I paid good money for Midnight Hollow and now I can't use it. Any suggestions? Uninstalling the content and removing the folder in documents fixed this but I only choose a random household in Sunset Valley to test if I could save and then closed the game.

Message 85 of 103 (1,059 Views)

@transonlyocean  Do you get an Error 16 if you only install one or two small store items?  I ask because Midnight Hollow is fairly large and also generates its own .world file, whereas a couple of hairstyles will only add a few megabytes to the size of the user folder.

Message 86 of 103 (1,051 Views)

★ Apprentice

I'll give that a try in a bit. For the record, it just seems to be the store content; I haven't tried other mods but Nraas is working fine with it. You'd think this game is abandonware with the state of it right now!

Message 87 of 103 (1,047 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

@transonlyoceanI have all my store content and it's insanely laggy plus I cannot save without trying for ages. I refuse to get rid of it everything too cuz of the good money I spent on it all. I don't understand why it doesn't let me save and you are right. Do you think EA or windows will fix this? I doubt EA would but there's a possibility windows could right? As we have figured out it is to do with the windows 11 update, I could go to customer support? I'll see what they can do.

UPDATE:

Contacted them and they helped me refresh the gaming services, clear any cache or errors made by the update. I'll let you know how it goes!

Update 2 (sorry late)
Xbox players that play on pc also have this problem! The windows expert team is working on fixing this issue, so hopefully the next windows update it will be fixed, if not we will have to hang on for a bit longer!

Message 88 of 103 (1,018 Views)

error code 16 fix?

★★ Novice

Well as you all know the error code 16 is keep occurring in whatever situation(at least in what i know).As a person who totally does not know anything about pc stuff,I don't understand what I have been told such as 22H2.Can anyone give me a briefly summary about what actually the problem is,and is there a way to fix it?thxStandard smile

Message 89 of 103 (802 Views)

Re: error code 16 fix?

Community Manager

If seeing this error @on9sinsin then with our more info the best thing I can recommend is to try is the following:

Let me know how you get on.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 90 of 103 (796 Views)