Error code 16 after new windows 11 update.

by mushroomsara

Original Post

Re: error code 16 fix?

@on9sinsin  Your post has been merged with the master thread for this issue.  I summarized the various known workarounds a few posts before yours:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/Error-code-16-after-new-windows-11-update/m-p/12076270...

Unfortunately, none of these steps is a guaranteed fix, and some players report that none of these has helped them.  It's reasonably clear that Microsoft introduced this issue, so we can still hope that Microsoft will also fix it at some point.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 91 of 103 (1,149 Views)

Re: Error code 16 after new windows 11 update.

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Hi everyone, i think the Windows 11 update KB5020044 fixed this issue (error code 16 at least). I played a bit and game saved normally, but i'm not sure yet. If someone want to test it the update is optional right now in Windows Update.

Spoiler

Maybe problem was caused by this

From Update page "It addresses an issue that affects the CopyFile function. It might sometimes return error 317: ERROR_MR_MID_NOT_FOUND."

because error 16 is file copy error.

Message 92 of 103 (1,067 Views)

★ Apprentice
@CAHbKA78 This is amazing news! I have just checked and I need to still update it! I am not sure if it's optional because for me it says download and install. Other than that, there is a little x next to it so it might be optional.
Message 93 of 103 (984 Views)

★★ Novice

@Simsfan101  usually you need to check for updates (or Windows do it for you from time to time) and then they automatically start to be downloaded and installed, but with this update you need to press download and install button or it won't install at all.

Message 94 of 103 (957 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Everytime I install the Sims 3, I always go into windows security (not the firewall) and add it to the exceptions list. I do not know if this will help with the error, but it stops windows from interfering with the game in any way, shape or form.

I've been getting this error continuously in a new game, while editing the world and building lots. Deleting the save file with.bad at the end, while the game was running is sort of helpful

Message 95 of 103 (720 Views)

★★★ Novice

When this happens to me I tend to give up rather quick and do it manually, and actually coping the files from Current gave and placing them in the save folder, gets weird if you have to do this before all the files have been created in a new game.

Message 96 of 103 (714 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

Hopefully the Windows update did? I didn't get an recent update on my Win11.

I managed to get saving Sims 3 game files to work after purging all installed content and running the game after exiting out of OneDrive. I did not uninstall because I need it, just exited and closed it.

That was working while I slowly reinstalled game content in bits, then was installing bits of downloaded (the horror) community content in small groups of files.

It worked until the last group of SavedSims, then error 16 hit. I removed those particular sim files and error 16 stopped happening. So it looks like one of them has a glitch also causing the error.

But now it's moot until they fix the new EA app that rendered all my purchased expansion and stuff packs no longer registered as owned, leaving me with a world of base game sadness.

Message 97 of 103 (662 Views)

@lgaudet  For the imssing content, please continue with your other thread, where someone from EA has answered you:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/Missing-Sims-3-content/m-p/12122604#M254690

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 98 of 103 (636 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@CAHbKA78 Yea after installing this update I stopped getting the error 16 and I can save my game like how I used to like "island paradise" "Island paradise 1" instead of having to do a whole new name every time I save.

I even clicked save and quit and it did it successfully.

Gonna see how it is when I install more of my store content. Hopefully it's fully fixed.

Message 99 of 103 (570 Views)

★★★ Novice

It's a bit better after the update, I can save somehow. But the game still crashes without any error massages while I'm in build mode and I can’t stay in CAS mode more than a few minutes. *cries*

The game runs like butter, but I see my new RTX 3080, using much more memory than my old one (GTX 970) right from the start on MSI Afterbuner.

I really hope we get 64 bit version for Windows!!!! Pleeeease!!! I have all EPs, all SPs and all store content installed (I paid for them all if you know what I mean) by the way.

Message 100 of 103 (535 Views)