Re: Error Code 0xc000007b Preventing Game Startup

by adermc93

Original Post

@adermc93  The reason you don't see Tools is because you're right-clicking on Documents.  You need to right-click on the hard drive itself, as in C or D or whatever, under This PC.

Also, I removed a couple of screenshots that showed your full name and email address, since most people probably wouldn't want to post that on a public forum.

Have you posted a dxdiag somewhere yet?  These threads are all kind of jumbled, and I can't remember.  Please attach one, or another one, to a reply.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 31 of 50 (730 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@adermc93 Have you run compatibility tests or updating your computer?
Message 32 of 50 (721 Views)

★★★ Novice

ahh that would make sense. Okay I found the Tools tab and ran that but there were no errors, so that's another task done that didn't work. I've ran a DXDIAG and have attached it to this if you would like to have a look? 

Thanks so much!

Message 33 of 50 (710 Views)

@adermc93  Okay, I know you've already tried a few things, so if I repeat something, sorry about that.  But it's good to do everything again, together, because some steps might only work after a previous step has been completed.

Start with a couple of basic scans of your Windows system files:

• Hit Windows key-X
  • Choose either “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator),” whichever option is offered
  • Inside the window that appears, copy and paste “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • The system will start validating soon. If it throws an error, please list it here
  • After it reaches 100%, hit Windows key-X again
  • Again, choose “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator)”
  • Inside the window, copy and paste “sfc /scannow” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • Post the message you receive here

If you get the message that sfc found corrupt files and was unable to repair some of them, stop here and let me know.  Otherwise, restart your computer, hit Windows key-i, select Update & Security, and click the button to check for updates.  If there a number pending, it might take a few tries, with restarts in between, to get them all to run.

Once that's done, you'll need to uninstall and reinstall the 2015 VC++ runtimes, which Sims 4 and Origin both use, and install new versions directly from Microsoft.  Hit Windows key-i, select Apps, scroll down to the Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributables, or the 2017 or 2015-2019 versions (they're versions of the same thing), and select Uninstall.  Do not uninstall the versions from any other year though; they're on your computer for a reason, and they don't conflict with the newest versions.

You can download new copies of the 2015-2019 runtimes here.  Be sure to install both the x86 and x64 versions.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

Restart your computer, and try to launch Sims 4.  If it still doesn't work, quit Origin, restart your computer, clear Origin's cache, and repair: open your game library, right-click on the Sims 4 icon, and select Repair.  Then try to play again.  Here's how to clear Origin's cache:

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/clear-cache-to-fix-problems-with-your-games/

If you still can't play, let me know, and please post a screenshot of any error you get.  There are a couple additional runtimes that may need reinstalling as well.

Message 34 of 50 (702 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thanks for that! I have started the scans but just need to do the runtimes... but I have a question. Is it going to be worth doing all this to my laptop, or would I just be better doing a whole factory reset on my laptop and starting from scratch? I don’t really care about the mods and saves because I can just start again, I’m just a bit cautious doing all of this stuff to my laptop and on the end it still won’t work. It might not even work with a factory reset but surely it would? 

Message 35 of 50 (677 Views)

@adermc93  A factory reset might be less work overall, especially if you're not worried about losing a lot of data.  And you're right, there's no guarantee that any of these steps will help.  This particular error can be extremely stubborn.

If you'd like to preserve your saves, you can upload them to a free filesharing site like Google Drive or Dropbox, then download them once your game is working again.  You could do the same with mods, but it might be better to download new copies anyway, so you can check that they're all updated to work with the latest patch.

Message 36 of 50 (669 Views)

★★★ Novice

Yeah that’s a very good point. Okay, I’ll try and do a factory reset on my laptop and see how I go with that. Once I install Origin again, the sims 4 and the packs I have already bought should still be there shouldn’t they? I have my code for the Sims 4 incase I need to enter it again, so hopefully all the packs should still be there 

Message 37 of 50 (661 Views)

★★★ Novice

I've just done a full reset on my laptop because I kept receiving the 0xc000007b error message. I've done the reset, and now I am trying to download Origin however its NOW coming up with your original error messages which are MSVCP140.dll and VCRUNTIME140.dll (tried twice and has happened both times). How do I fix this? I did a full update too but now that its reset it updated anyway so the laptop shouldn't need updating. Thanks Standard smile 

Message 38 of 50 (649 Views)

★★★ Novice
@adermc93 Do you get the error when you launch Origin? I do, but Origin still launches
Message 39 of 50 (643 Views)

[ Edited ]

@adermc93  The errors you're seeing are related to Origin not properly installing the necessary VC++ runtimes, again.  You can download them directly from Microsoft:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

You'll need both the x86 and x64 runtimes, but not the _arm version.  Restart your computer before trying to install Origin.

Message 40 of 50 (631 Views)