Re: Error: Cannot start because the required game data is missing or damaged.

by courtney654654

Original Post

Solution: Error - Cannot start because the required game data is damaged.

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Hello Guys, 

I found some alternates here to fix this problem. You need to first take back up of game save files. To do so, follow below steps:

Go to this location: Documents/Electronics Art/The Sims 4/Saves.

Copy this “Saves” file or whole “Sims 4” folder, and keep it paste to safe location in your computer as backup.

Note: Make sure that you're taking backup of saves file while game & origin is not running.

Once backup is done, start following alternates in order to fix this problem:

Alternate 1:

Logout and relogin once into origin, and go to my games to locate sims 4 game, right click on it to select 'Repair Install'.

Once repair is finished, launch your game and retry loading saved game to see if it works now.

In case of alternate 1 fails, go to try alternate 2.

Alternate 2: (Cause - this error may also come due to corrupt game mod files)

Firstly go to desktop screen, and right click on empty space to select new>folder.

Once new folder is created, go to this way Documents/Electronics Art/The Sims 4/ and look for mods folder.

Start moving game mods files one by one or in a group now to new folder ((Don't go at once to move whole files to new folder) Don't use copy & paste files, simply move files to new folder).

After each mod file move, keep testing saved game play.

This above way will help you to locate corrupt game file which you will keep away from game finally then.

This whole process of checking every mod file may be take up to 30-40 minutes in total according to me, but this will indeed help you to sort out this problem for sure.

Alternate 2 can also perform in following way:

Path can be different depending on your OS:

• Make a backup of the Sims 4 folder in Documents\Electronic Arts to an external or flash drive.

• Rename the  The Sims 4 folder in Documents\Electronic Arts to The Sims 4_Backup

• Start the game (All your save games will be gone, your options will be reset to factory settings and all your custom content will be gone. Not to worry, it’s all still there in that backup folder).

• A new The Sims 4 folder will have been recreated in the documents\Electronic Arts folder. Some folders might be missing for they are only created when you need them.

• You will need to start a new game for the other one is still missing right now.

See if your error is gone. If so, you can put starting the folders back.

The following folder contain files you might need. Test after every folder and put them back in the following order (more details on the folder can be found here: User files explained):

• Options(.ini): Your graphic/sounds/gameplay options. You can also simply re-set them

• Saves: Your save games. More details on what you need can be found here: Save Games. Then content of the two sub folders are not needed. If the game starts to act up again, put each save game back separately and testing afterwards to see what can be saved.

• Screenshots: The screen shoots you have taken in game.

• Custom Music: If you have any custom music, put them back.

• Tray: All your houses, Sims and rooms.  If the game starts to act up again, put each file group back separately and testing afterwards to see what can be saved.

• Mods: Your custom content or mods.  If the game starts to act up again, put each file group back separately and testing afterwards to see what could cause the issue.

Hopefully it will fix this game problem for all of you guys. Best of luck!

Message 11 of 18 (24,531 Views)

★ Novice

I used to have this problem, but I removed all my mods and tested it one by one mod, it took a while but I found that meshes caused my game to give me this message. so if any of these don't help you, you could try remove your meshes if you have any.  

Message 12 of 18 (24,305 Views)

★ Novice

do you have any meshes in your game if so remove them all, I had this problem until I removed them

Message 13 of 18 (24,305 Views)

★ Novice

I got rid of everything in my mods folder and then it worked!

Even though it sucks having to get rid of everything you need to sometimes, bad cc ruins the game. 

-Emilyxx Good Luck to Anyone! 

Message 14 of 18 (23,924 Views)

★ Novice

i had the exact same problem but i just deleted a whole lot of cc and my game work fine now 

@TPtrack wrote:

Error: Cannot start because the required game data is missing or damaged. Please try reinstalling the game. [85262c58:29f00e76:00000000] 

I keep getting that message even if I reinstall the game. 

I tried deleting origins cache files, but that did not work.

It is the limited version and my game is not cracked.

I haven't played it on the computer yet so there are no files in  the Sims 4 folder in Documents\Electronic Arts.

I did already install and play this game on another computer, is it possible that the game won't start because my origin account is linked to a computer with different (higher) specs?

cannot think of anything else...

How do I fix this?

http://pastebin.com/jADTcE9d

ea thinking:

Message 15 of 18 (23,716 Views)

Hero

In most cases it's a corrupt custom content or you have just downloaded a recolor and lack the mesh.

On Win 10, it can also be an issue with rights

Few things to try

• Remove the download. To find the culprit, use the 50/50 Method.
  • Click Repair game on Origin.
  • Run a Chkdsk on your computer to make sure your hard drive is fine.
  • Right-click on the Origin Icon on your desktop and choose Run as Administrator

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 16 of 18 (102,010 Views)

★ Novice

I just downloaded my game and I have no mods nor cc and I'm still getting this issue can someone help me as to why this is happening. Thank you 

Message 17 of 18 (17,832 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @SimmerTia2708 if having an issue then please create a new thread with as much info as possible.

I am going to lock this thread as it is quite old.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 18 of 18 (17,812 Views)