Original Post

Accepted Solution

Edge-Smoothing No Longer Working

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.46.18.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Expansion: All Game: All Stuff: Vintage Glamour, Perfect Patio, Luxury Party, Laundry Day
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Enable Edge-Smoothing
What happens when the bug occurs? Edges of objects and buildings are jagged, as if the Edge-Smoothing setting has been turned off
What do you expect to see? Smooth edges, given that Edge-Smooth is on the highest setting
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

I've had my game running on Ultra for the past several months since getting a new computer and there have been no issues. However, after the latest 8/16/2018 patch, the edge-smoothing setting has not been working. I've tested it on "Off" and on the highest setting, "High" and there was no difference. I've updated my GPU driver, removed all custom content, and repaired the game with no change.

I've attached two photos: One (with the Sim in it) from 8/8/18 and one from today. You can see the stark difference in the house's edges, especially in the columns and windows.

Has anyone else experienced this bug? I'm not sure how to fix it.

COMPUTER SPECS

CPU: Intel Core i5-7600K 3800 MHz

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

RAM: 16GB

Available Storage: 770.5 GB

Message 1 of 15 (6,352 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] Edge-Smoothing No Longer Working

Champion
Have you checked Nvidia control panel to see if global 3D settings are being used instead of Application-Controlled settings? Maybe your graphics driver settings are overriding the edge-smoothing options controlled by the game.

You should make sure that Antialiasing Mode is set to Application Controlled.

View in thread

Message 10 of 15 (6,175 Views)

All Replies

Re: [TO TEST] Edge-Smoothing No Longer Working

Hero (Retired)

I took a look in my game, but my edge smoothing is functioning properly.  If you haven't already, please do the following: 1) remove mods/CC, 2) clear your cache, 3) repair the game via Origin, 4) start a new save, and 5) test the problem in the new save.  I'm advising this in order to take any potential corruption out of the equation.  Also, make sure your graphics driver is up to date.

Message 2 of 15 (6,273 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Hi @BryonyRae - thank you so much for the advice and for checking out the issue! I followed all of your suggestions but the issue is still there. I'm attaching screenshots of my sim in CAS (which show the jagged edges that weren't there before) and my graphics settings. 

UPDATE: I'm going to try uninstalling and then reinstalling to have a completely vanilla game.

UPDATE: After uninstalling and reinstalling, it's still having the same issue :/

Message 3 of 15 (6,232 Views)

Hero (Retired)

I'm sorry those steps didn't help.  I have changed the thread's tag to "needs input" so that hopefully, we can get some other players that are having the issue to join in on the discussion and maybe figure out what you might have in common that could cause this.

Message 4 of 15 (6,205 Views)

Hero

@mollaboutthat

Could you post your Computer's DxDiag?

To gather a DxDiag on your computer, please follow the steps here: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

You can attach the txt file to your post directly.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 5 of 15 (6,173 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@BryonyRae - thank you for updating the post heading! I'm curious to see if other people are having a similar issue.

@crinrict - I've attached the DxDiag to this post; thanks for the info on how to collect it!

Message 6 of 15 (6,152 Views)

Hero
Specs look fine.

Which drive do you have your game/doc folder on ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 7 of 15 (6,144 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

I have it on my HDD (D: ) since it has more space. Origin itself is installed on C: (SSD) but I've set it to store all game folders on D:. I haven't had any issues with this set up until this point but do you think that could be the issue?

And if so, is there any way to reinstall Origin on D: instead of C:? I just have limited space on C:. 

Message 8 of 15 (6,135 Views)

Hero
No, that's perfect. I was more worried about the space on c. But if you have all on d .. all good.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 9 of 15 (6,129 Views)

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] Edge-Smoothing No Longer Working

Champion
Have you checked Nvidia control panel to see if global 3D settings are being used instead of Application-Controlled settings? Maybe your graphics driver settings are overriding the edge-smoothing options controlled by the game.

You should make sure that Antialiasing Mode is set to Application Controlled.
Message 10 of 15 (6,176 Views)