EA please tell us the requirements for Ultra Settings (with stable fps)

by SimmerGeorge

Original Post

Re: EA please tell us the requirements for Ultra Settings (with stable fps)

★ Guide

@Holger1405 The company that built my PC just contacted me. They said I do have an A320M Pro installed inside, but it just happens that MSI uses the term MS-7B84 for both my and the B450 motherboards. 

They said my BIOS could have failed due to issues with the USB not being read correctly. To be honest I do think there's something more happening there. When I tried the BIOS Update the first time the USB I wanted to use got corrupt after putting the BIOS files in there, since I always double-check everything, I took a second look in my USB contents before doing the update and found the flash drive had created tons of files, all with unreadable names like "78($%+_aθι" and so on. So I just redownloaded the BIOS files, put them in another (kind of cheap 4GB FAT32) USB and tried -the now failed- BIOS update. I also did a Windows Defender scan later on, but nothing came up. 

Maybe I should get a new USB for this update, not sure but I think I'm certain the issue with the update came from the sytem not being able to read the USB files correctly. 

Also I did do the 20H2 update, thanks again! Standard smile

For now I am waiting on what the company (called Megaport, if you're German you might know them) is going to suggest, unless you have anything else you can suggest? 

Message 41 of 57 (569 Views)

@SimmerGeorge 

So the performance after the update did not changed at all?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 42 of 57 (546 Views)

★ Guide

From the Windows build update? Idk I still can't zoom out to view the whole are without my fps dropping to 28 and in community lots the more sims come, the lower it drops reaching 27-35 average. I don't know, should I make a video or something? 

This is my latest log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-FMu6W-RthuAjChqOgYIYHNy95oM6j_L/view?usp=sharing

I also updated my DxDiag. Is there anything we haven't tried yet? 

Message 43 of 57 (536 Views)

@SimmerGeorge 

Did you heard back from Megaport?
And no, a video is not necessary.

Now that we are on the newest chipset driver and Windows build I like to focus on the driver.

• Follow this manual to the letter to cleanly uninstall all NVIDIA components.
  • Install the graphics driver and GFE. > Go online.
  • Test.

Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Message 44 of 57 (527 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@Holger1405 Yes, Megaport did actually reply after viewing my logs and said everything with the hardware should be fine, if I have been experiencing issues with a certain game (but not all my games) then they unfortunately cannot provide any specific game support (which is understable).

Thank you for sending me this manual. I did everything exactly as this manual suggested. Since you can't really tell, you'd have to trust me on that one. I paid a lot of attention (since I am honestly also getting tired of the situation). As always I made a new log after finishing up the process https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uwTp3iv9_lsVFiWMgH2SoUqce1rTAkE7/view?usp=sharing

I used another fresh Sims 4 folder for this log aswell. 

From an fps point of view I have to say I am not facing any issues in residential lots. The big problems happen when I visit community lots, especially in areas like Britechester or the pier area with the bar and lounge in Brindelton Bay or even some Newcrest areas that have a lot of lots. Generally, where there are Sims, lots of objects and water the fps drops to the 20-30s almost instantly. I still have this issue this time around, though I might be wrong but it seems a little more stable now. It's just those massive drop in GPU usage I cannot understand that happen for several minutes at a time, especially towards the end. 

I do not think there's hope here, I have literally cleanly uninstalled and reinstalled everything even a bit related to the game's performance. It must be something else and even if it is, I doubt it is fixable at this point. 

As always, I immensly apprieciate any help or suggestion you might have and if you have any other I will gladly try them. And thanks a lot again!

Message 45 of 57 (502 Views)

[ Edited ]

@SimmerGeorge 

Ok, your GPU clocks look considerable better in this last HWInfo log than in the first one.

The GPU usage is hard to compare for me.

With my RTX 3080 I get 144FPS (Caped) in normal game play, but even with this GPU I get FPS droops to 60 - 70 if I zoom out to max.
But the GPU goes never over 30% usage and I have no way itm to compare usage of a 1060.

@puzzlezaddict certainly knows more about the typical usage of different GPUs in the Sims 4 than I do.

• Make sure the game is closed.
  • Open the NVIDIA Control panel.
  • Choose "Manage 3D settings".
  • Choose "Program Settings"
  • Choose the "Sims 4" (If it is not in the list, search for it: "TS4_x64.exe" Standard path C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 4\Game\Bin\.
  • Go to "Power Management Mode"
  • Set it to "Prefer Maximum Performance"
  • Apply
  • Test.

Message 46 of 57 (478 Views)

★ Guide

@Holger1405 Yeah again this whole thing could be fully normal. This is why I named the thread the way I named it when I first started the thread. I simply assumed that 30fps when zommed out was normal for my card in the Sims 4. But then again, how unstable can a game be when you get min 100 to max 180 fps in small residential lots and then suddenly min 28 to max 60fps in community lots. It's such a crazy difference. Are few more sims and few more objects so incredibly demanding that you lose so much fps? 

Coincidentally I did try the maximum performance thing out yesterday after looking around in the NVIDIA settings and made a really short log with it, since I didn't notice that much of an fps difference in community lots, only thing I noticed was that the fps for once didn't drop below 30 and it stayed at min 33 fps but I thought that nothing really changed so I got bored and exited the game and stopped the log. I could make a longer one if needed. This is the one I did yetserday. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZJEwlb_LF58jIr4WdZwiQEh4huKuMFS8/view?usp=sharing

I would really love to compare my performance or at least know what the gtx1060 6gb is in general capable of, in order to understand if this is a normal occurence or not. Maybe someone who knows about how certain cards perform like @puzzlezaddict or someone from EA could comment, because I know some EA people have seen this thread but didn't feel it was neccesary to step in. Maybe now is a good time?

Message 47 of 57 (473 Views)

[ Edited ]

@SimmerGeorge 

OK, there are two things I like to test.

First, I noticed a anomaly in the HWinfo log.

Please go here and download GPU-Z. 

The Tool don't requires a installation, just run it > Start TS4 and post a screenshot of the Sensor panel of GPU-Z.

Second:

• Make sure the game is closed.
  • Open the NVIDIA Control panel.
  • Choose "Manage 3D settings".
  • Choose "Global Settings"
  • Go to "DSR Factors"
  • Enable: 1.78x
  • Apply
  • Now you should be able to choose 2156x1440 as in game Resolution > Set it this way.
  • Run HWinfo log > Run the game for 10 minutes.
  • Post the HW info log and tell us please what differences in FPS you see.

Message 48 of 57 (461 Views)

★ Guide

So I don't know if I got it right since the info changes once I go into desktop from my game but you can see the history. It reads around 30-45%

I will post the log from the NVIDIA thing as soon as I'm done. 

Message 49 of 57 (446 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@Holger1405 Okay so I just finished logging the Sims 4 in 1440p and I am a bit confused as to what to say about the fps. Overall I think the fps went up about 5-8fps in general. I particularly noticed that it dropped below 35 only for maybe a split second, before it used to stay at 26-28 for several seconds at once. I tried many different areas, residential as always around min 80 to max 180fps depending on how big and crowded the lot is. Community lots with the camera looking at the active lot I would say min 40 to max 90fps. If a lot of Sims are on the lot maybe 2-3 fps lower. And looking at the whole neighborhood area at around 33-38 (again weirdly enough depending on if it is residential or community, in residential lots looking around the hood zoomed out gives around 45-50 fps maybe it has to do with the amount of sims idk). 

One thing I noticed for the first time, yet I think it has always been happening was that I can be zoomed in at two sims having a conversation, no moving the camera, completely still and the fps will go from 70 then a second later 58 then 63 then 51 then back up to 70 without me moving anything and I also noticed it does that with the game paused aswell. Maybe this is normal in the Sims 4 not sure (maybe the fps meter that is built in with the game just works this way?). 

Other than that it looked smoother in my eyes, idk I couldn't tell you an average fps since I'm still playing with vsync off and it varies so much.

The link to the new log:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sYOZUMfGcWf7SQVDFJvSnVGjNoR3MYXa/view?usp=sharing##

Also I just restored my NVIDIA settings back to normal after this post.

Message 50 of 57 (440 Views)