EA App: Sims 3 Create a World Edit in-game doesn't work

by Matthew22254563

Original Post

Re: EA App: Sims 3 Create a World Edit in-game doesn't work

★★ Novice

Sorry @KetaLiren**   Thank you for trying to help and for your easy to follow instructions. The EIW just does not want to work... 

Message 61 of 89 (1,868 Views)

★★ Novice
@KetaLiren Thank you for this fix. Unfortunately it did not work for me. Frown I'm hoping EA will get their heads out of their assess and fix this issue ASAP.
Message 62 of 89 (1,814 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Can you be more specific about these files/folders and locations, please?

Message 63 of 89 (1,741 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

What's going on is that EA app can't find CAW EIG to launch it. 

Under EA app there is a new place that it launches the Sims 3/ Medieval / CAW EIG from. I HAD to search my PC to find everywhere my Sims 3 was installed. You MUST search your PC to find them. 

1. Open File Explorer

2. Click on 'This PC'

3. In the search bar in the upper righthand corner of file explorer type in 'Sims 3', after a time it will bring up everywhere 'The Sims 3' is installed on your computer in a short list.

4. Two 'Sims 3' files should show up. One of those is in your old directory, one of them is in your new directory. If you right click on 'The Sims 3' on this list of located 'Sims 3' files you will see an option in the pop-up menu to 'Open File Location' 

5. Open file location to "The Sims 3" If this directory houses CAW it is your OLD directory. COPY the 'CAW' file and press the back arrow in the upper left hand corner to bring up your "Sims 3" file locations again. Where you were in Step 4. (Or search your PC again)

6. Right click on the second 'Sims 3' file and open that file location. All of your EP's and SP's should be there as well as other games you play on EA app. 

7. Paste "CAW' into this new directory.

8. It will work. If it doesn't you probably didn't find you new directory. I HAD to use these steps to find the new directory. 

I will reword this as many times as I need to. I truly hope it works for you.

Message 64 of 89 (1,680 Views)

★★★ Novice

I happen to have bought all my The Sime 3 stuff via Steam. (So, I am not sure why the Origin app is even being used... maybe because I registered over there or something.)

Anyway, I am tempted to installing from Steam again (32 GB to download!) and using your "registry hack" idea. However, I do not know what that is. Could you please elaborate on that process?

I appreciate your and everyone else's time on this. Clearly, the The Sims 3 fanbase is a live and well.

Thank you!

Snootch

Message 65 of 89 (1,564 Views)

@SnootchDog  I believe this is what the other player meant:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=277022926

This is the standard way to make CAW work in a Steam install.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 66 of 89 (1,562 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hey @KetaLiren, thanks so much for helping us, I've tried many different interpretations of your directions, but sadly it is not working.

I'm a bit confused about which CAW file I have to copy. Do you mean CAW.exe? Or do you mean the CAW folder that includes the CAW.exe file and the UserToolData folder? Or the CAW - beta folder that contains 4 files including the uninstall file? Or the .world files of the world I want to edit in game?

When I locate the Sims 3 folder in the ProgramData/Origin/LocalContent directory, there are only 2 files in there, a .dat and a .crc file. While the Sims 3 folder in Program Files (x86)/Origin Games includes all the EP01 etc, Game, GameData folders etc. 

What does the folder you want the CAW file to be pasted in look like?

Lastly, this might make communicating a little easier: normally you cannot see the ProgramData folder in C: because it is hidden. To be able to see this folder go to Options in your file explorer, then under the View tab select 'Show hidden files, folders and drives' (it's located underneath the little folder called 'Hidden files and folders) and hit apply. 

I think this solves the issue you describe that you have to locate the new Sims 3 folder through the search function, is that right?

Message 67 of 89 (1,549 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice
@KetaLiren In desperation, I tried everything - copying my CAW folder into every place that could match what you suggested, but it was never going to work for me, because my install is very different.

"@raestacey With EA app your Sims 3 has a new directory." My TS3 installation never moved (when I installed the EA App, or when it deleted my Origin).
Message 68 of 89 (1,523 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice
@SnootchDog Can you link to the specific post that explains the "registry hack"?
Message 69 of 89 (1,522 Views)

EA app recently broke EIG and Origin Install again

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

After installing the EA app in about August*, Create a World (CAW) Edit In Game (EIG) will not launch. Trying opens the launcher (and EIG will absolutely not open).

(*Or September, not fully sure, as I’ve been busy troubleshooting since then.)

Dear God listen to me, this is A NEW PROBLEM THEY CAUSED IN SEPTEMBER. PLEEEASE UNMERGE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 70 of 89 (1,471 Views)