Re: Dual Hard Drive Mod/Save Transfer Issues

by jpkarlsen

Original Post

★★★★ Novice

Okay, I uninstalled Origin and Sims 4, used ccleaner and malwarebytes, restarted, reinstalled origin and Sims 4. The bin files and such went to the D drive as I specified. HOWEVER, when I start up the game, it automatically creates the Electronic Arts folder on the C drive! So it's not an issue with the original installation, it's an issue with the game itself not giving me the choice of where to put the actual game data (saves, tray, mods, etc.). Will this only happen when downloaded it from Origin? If I install it using the disk, would I have more control over where the Electronic Arts folder goes? I'd like to have it on my laptop in case I don't have the disk on me, but if I can install everything on the D drive I'd be willing to do a trade off for that.

Message 11 of 20 (1,397 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I think I may have a fix for you as I was having the same issues with TS4 and it saving my mods etc to the C: Drive. I have a 1TB D Drive and of course wanted all the mods to save to this location. I'm currently using WIN10, so apologies if this doesn't solve your issue. I right-clicked on the My Documents folder in the C: Drive and went to properties. From here, I changed the file path to my D: Drive, I tested this by downloaded some mods and checking the Byte counter for both drives. The D: Drive byte count went down accordingly, all I needed to do at that point was delete the mods from my C: drive (as this is where my downloads save to and also from the Recycle Bin) and Voila! All mods (and other documents) now saving to the D: Drive! But this does change the file path for all files saved to My Documents, but if like me your C: Drive is tiny, then this is another win!

I really hope this helps you!

Message 12 of 20 (5,786 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Bexs15, you're an ANGEL!!!!! That worked! That fixed it and now I know what to do in the future if things want to save to the D drive! I'm also running Windows 10 with a small C drive and 1TB hard drive! Thank you SO MUCH! Standard smile

And Crin, thank you so much for taking all that time to help me find a solution! I really appreciate your help and determination!

God bless both of you, this is a huge relief! I'm not the only one who plays here so this is a huge relief to all of us! Thank you both again! Standard smile

Message 13 of 20 (1,371 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

Guess I was being unclear. That's what I was getting at when I asked if your doc folder was set to the D drive. Since you said you only had an admin folder on c, I assumed you had done that.

Glad you got it to work now though :D

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 14 of 20 (1,362 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Yep! Everything seems to be all set now! I really appreciate all your help! Standard smile

Message 15 of 20 (1,357 Views)

★★★ Newbie

You are most welcome, must give the credit to my partner who figured this one out! :D  

Message 16 of 20 (1,344 Views)

★ Novice

It's been a long and frustrating process to get my Sims 4 game to a point where it is the most entertaining for me to play. I have the same issue. I followed all the steps that Bexs15 gave and it's still not been resolved. I switched the path of my Documents folder to my D Drive. Now my mods and custom content are in Thic PC > D:/ > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4 > Mods I don't understand why my mods aren`t showing up in my game. I have script mods enabled, i rerouted my documents to go to my d drive, and everything is in my mods folder. Could somebody please help?

Message 17 of 20 (988 Views)

Champion (Retired)

It should go in Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\Mods

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 18 of 20 (975 Views)

★★★ Newbie

i have read through this entire thread and more so I'm at the point where I ams trying to relocate the documents file to the D drive but the issue is an error message comes up saying . file can't be moved how do I fix that issue !? i am lost 

Message 19 of 20 (676 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@kinahw11 

Close the program that is currently using the mentioned file.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 20 of 20 (651 Views)