Re: Downloaded Packs appearing as not installed in Sims 4

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Downloaded Packs appearing as not installed in Sims 4

★★ Novice

Hello! So I got a new computer earlier this year (Windows PC) and had downloaded my Sims 4 game from my old windows laptop to my new computer. I had some issues with my files when I first got started but after getting things sorted with my computer the game was working perfectly. 

After one of the major updates though, my packs were not working. It says both in Origin and in Steam that I have these packs and that they're installed, but when I play my game and try to access my files it says that I'm missing 6 packs and need to install them or restart the game before trying to play. I've tried repairing the game and doing a full sign out and sign back into origin plus restarted both the game and my computer many times, but nothing has fixed it so far. 

I've seen a couple suggestions online and I'm sure there's things I could probably do like delete or uninstall certain files, I'm just very worried about messing something up and don't want my files to be corrupted or my saves to not work anymore. I have all my files saved onto usb/spare drives, but I want to be careful not to damage the original files just in case.

(I should also mention that I have two copies of the Electronic Arts folder on my computer - one folder is from my old computer that was made during the data transfer, the other is a copy of the folder I had made myself in case something went wrong. Both folder duplicates have been living on my computer with no issues until now so I don't know if that makes a difference at all.)

If anyone has a fix they could suggest I would be super grateful. 

Message 1 of 20 (34,565 Views)

Accepted Solution

@rainbow_rijii  Please clear Origin's cache:

https://help.ea.com/en/help/faq/clear-cache-to-fix-problems-with-your-games/

If you're given the option, try repairing the game in Origin: open your game library, right-click on the Sims 4 icon, and select Repair.  Then click on the Sims 4 icon, open More > Expansion Packs, scroll down to Island Living, and see whether you have a Download button.  If you do, click it, and let me know whether it downloads.  Repeat for your other missing packs.

If that doesn't help, clear Origin's cache again.  Next, with Steam and Origin closed, go into the game's program files and look for folders for each of your missing packs.  They're labeled by type and release order: for example, Island Living was the seventh expansion released, so its folder is EP07.  The default location for a Steam install is this:

Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Sims 4

For any folder you see for a missing pack, drag it to the trash.  (Be sure to look just in that main Sims 4 folder, not in Delta: those folders are separate.)  Once you've trashed all the folders, restart your computer, open Origin, and try again to download those packs.

In case it helps, here's a list of Sims 4 packs so you know which folder corresponds to each one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sims_4#Expansions_and_add-ons

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 4 of 20 (34,530 Views)

All Replies

@rainbow_rijii  Do you own these packs through Steam or through Origin, and are other packs from the same platform showing as installed?  Please also load a new save and see whether any of these missing packs show up, just in case the error message isn't entirely accurate.

The two Electronic Arts folders wouldn't have anything to do with this issue.

Message 2 of 20 (34,548 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict Hello! Thanks so much for replying to me so soon!

I just booted up my game real quick and tried to start a new game. It looks like I can play just fine, but all of the content from my Origin packs are missing. I have packs that I've purchased through both Steam and Origin and all the Steam packs are working perfectly. It seems to be the Origin packs that are the issue. So it seems that the error message is mostly accurate despite the fact that when I open Origin it says that all the missing packs are already installed and in my game. 

Message 3 of 20 (34,538 Views)

@rainbow_rijii  Please clear Origin's cache:

https://help.ea.com/en/help/faq/clear-cache-to-fix-problems-with-your-games/

If you're given the option, try repairing the game in Origin: open your game library, right-click on the Sims 4 icon, and select Repair.  Then click on the Sims 4 icon, open More > Expansion Packs, scroll down to Island Living, and see whether you have a Download button.  If you do, click it, and let me know whether it downloads.  Repeat for your other missing packs.

If that doesn't help, clear Origin's cache again.  Next, with Steam and Origin closed, go into the game's program files and look for folders for each of your missing packs.  They're labeled by type and release order: for example, Island Living was the seventh expansion released, so its folder is EP07.  The default location for a Steam install is this:

Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Sims 4

For any folder you see for a missing pack, drag it to the trash.  (Be sure to look just in that main Sims 4 folder, not in Delta: those folders are separate.)  Once you've trashed all the folders, restart your computer, open Origin, and try again to download those packs.

In case it helps, here's a list of Sims 4 packs so you know which folder corresponds to each one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sims_4#Expansions_and_add-ons

Message 4 of 20 (34,531 Views)

★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict Thanks so much for the help again! Your response was super detailed so I was able to follow it well, but I seem to be stuck on finding the individual pack files. I've cleared Origin's cache and repaired the game in Origin after restarting my computer (the repair worked better this time than the last few times I tried). When I opened my game and saw it still didn't fix the problem I cleared Origin's cache again but now I can't find the location of the game files you're talking about - "Next, with Steam and Origin closed, go into the game's program files and look for folders for each of your missing packs" and "Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Sims 4". Could you possibly elaborate on that point just a bit more? I'm hoping this will be the last step I need to fix the problem. 

Message 5 of 20 (34,502 Views)

★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict Never mind! You're suggestion worked! My game is working perfectly now and I didn't loose a single thing or run into any issues with redownloading the packs. Thank you so much for your help! I'm so happy to be able to play again. 

Message 6 of 20 (34,491 Views)

★ Guide
@puzzlezaddict Origin cache clearing worked for me. You beautiful genius! Thank you.
Message 7 of 20 (32,155 Views)

★★ Novice

It's 2023 now and ever since the new EA app came out I've been having the same issue. I've tried everything and contacted support various times, still no fix.

Message 8 of 20 (19,538 Views)

@sunnibeatzz  If you have the Sims 4 CAS Demo installed, please see this thread:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/EA-App-claims-packs-are-installed-yet-they-are-not/td-...

Otherwise, please let me know whether you've installed through the EA App or Steam and where you bought the packs that aren't downloading.

Message 9 of 20 (19,515 Views)

★★ Novice

Thank you so much! I'll reach out to you if it works.

Message 10 of 20 (19,506 Views)