Re: Different Accounts - Same Computer

by Magggie_May

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Different Accounts - Same Computer

★ Novice

My brother and I are sharing a computer and both use Origin to game, we also both own a copy of The Sims 3 on Origin. He is currently logged in but can't find his Sims saves on the computer. When he goes to the folder his account says the game is being saved to it is only showing my saves. His game saves will load for him no problem but he can't access the files (main reason we would like to access this is to be able to save custom music). 

Where are his gave saves being saved to on the computer?

Message 1 of 3 (518 Views)

Accepted Solution

@Magggie_May  Search the computer for "deviceconfig" without quotes (as in, type it into the search bar in a File Explorer window).  Each Sims 3 user data folder that the game has read from will have exactly one deviceconfig.  You can tell the folders apart by the last modified dates on deviceconfig, among other things.

I don't know whether you two use different accounts on the computer, in which case each user data file would only be accessible from the user account in which it is located; or you use OneDrive, which is a common place for the user data folder to land.  But regardless, as long as you know where the game is expecting to find that folder, it's best to add and remove files from it without moving it anywhere else.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 3 (481 Views)

All Replies

@Magggie_May  Search the computer for "deviceconfig" without quotes (as in, type it into the search bar in a File Explorer window).  Each Sims 3 user data folder that the game has read from will have exactly one deviceconfig.  You can tell the folders apart by the last modified dates on deviceconfig, among other things.

I don't know whether you two use different accounts on the computer, in which case each user data file would only be accessible from the user account in which it is located; or you use OneDrive, which is a common place for the user data folder to land.  But regardless, as long as you know where the game is expecting to find that folder, it's best to add and remove files from it without moving it anywhere else.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 3 (482 Views)

★ Novice

Thank you!!!! This worked!! Took me a minute to figure out how this helps but it does! To any other people that may be reading this with the same problem, once you've done the search and find the deviceconfig file, right click and open in file location, it will take you to the right folder. 

Message 3 of 3 (433 Views)