Re: Delayed interaction menu when clicking on sims, computer and fridge.

by bluereenie

Original Post

★★★★★ Apprentice
@puzzlezaddict Thanks for your help but those suggestions seem to be stretching it. This is my gaming desktop, and no other game I play on it has any frame dips including much more performance hungry games.

See here a timestamped link to a video of a game changer experiencing the lag as well at only level 3 Cooking (took about 2 seconds for the popup to load) https://youtu.be/6NKEHaAjgPo?t=1665

It takes longer the higher your cooking level is as I indicated in a previous post. 1-2 seconds at Cooking level 1 and then it slows down to around 4 seconds at level 10 with more cooking options but without all the City Living recipes unlocked (I bet that would slow it down even more).

I can't recall if this was an issue before, but I definitely only noticed it after Cottage Living came out.
Message 11 of 21 (2,431 Views)

★ Apprentice

Yup, also experiencing slow cooking menus here.

Message 12 of 21 (2,415 Views)

@ElDimentio  I understand what you're saying, but if this were a universal problem, there would be a lot more complaints about it.  So I'm trying to figure out what's different about your setup.  It's obviously not that you have weak hardware, but maybe there's something else running in the background.  Or maybe this would be fixed by uninstalling and reinstalling Sims 4, although that seems a bit extreme, and a repair is usually good enough.

The monitor being plugged into the motherboard will absolutely lower the overall performance of your system.  I'm not talking about fps drops, I'm talking about lower fps overall than you'd otherwise see.  How much lower will depend on the games involved and your motherboard, and as a practical matter, you might not notice any difference at all with a 2080 ti driving a 60 Hz screen.  That really depends on the games you play.  But what is absolutely true is that the graphics card passing data directly to the monitor is much more efficient than the card passing that data through the motherboard.

And again, this has nothing to do with Sims 4, this is something I saw in your dxdiag that I thought was worth mentioning.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 13 of 21 (2,402 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I'm noticing this delay when opening the Cook... Menu too. It ranges from 2s for a lower cooking skill level to around 5s for my chef. This adds up a lot if you're using that menu frequently. I wonder if people aren't reporting it because they use a different pie option on the fridge, or tend to use Sims with lower cooking level?

Message 14 of 21 (2,342 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

This has been happening to me as well ever since CL. This is indeed a problem with a number of players as noted here: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/992294/weird-delay-in-getting-refrigerator-and-stove-men... and here https://www.reddit.com/r/Sims4/comments/otdfis/is_anyone_else_having_a_huge_lag_when_asking_sims/.

Took out mods and it didn't help. Started a clean game to test and and it didn't help. Switched out fridges and stoves and it didn't help.

Message 15 of 21 (2,316 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

That's what I'm thinking too. My Sims all have Cooking at 10 so . . . 5 seconds. And if I don't pause the game, clicking the fridge also pauses my Sims. Weird.

Message 16 of 21 (2,311 Views)

★★ Novice

I'm having the same problem since I bougth the cottage living pack as well. Before no issues.

It has to do with this pack. Can this be fixed please.

Message 17 of 21 (2,142 Views)

★★ Novice

It's not a pc problem it's the Living Cottage pack problem.

I never had this issue before and I bougth the pack 2 days or so ago and since then I have this problem as well.

Message 18 of 21 (2,142 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

OK peeps, here's what I've figured out that will "help." (Mind you, this is still an issue that needs to be fixed because it is totally reasonable to expect to put your produce in the icebox.)

1. Keep as little as possible in your refrigerator. Do you ave all your fruits and veggies in there at high counts? Well, that apparently mucks up the menu. Only keep a few fruits and veg in there at a time.
2. So where do you keep your produce? A trunk/chest. Either the base game versions or (better in my book) the Discovery University wooden chest. With the base game chest, everything you put into it is stored across all base game chests on your lot. With the DU chests you can have chests that store different things (one chest for produce, one for collectibles, one for magic items, etc). The base game chest ought to work that way as well IMHO. Heads up SIMS creators.

In doing this, my pie menu opens pretty quickly. I found this out when I moved my kid out to start college and he had an empty fridge. And so far, not "filling it up" seems to be the trick.

What I have also realized is that the patch that made food spoil again didn't help. I had households with loads of dishes in the refrigerators. I was kind of digging that my food kept. But suddenly, with the patch, my fridge was stuffed and things were going bad every few days and then every few hours. And clicking on the fridge and waiting was ANNOYING. So, clean out your fridge and get a trunk/chest.

Let me know if this works for you like it worked for me.

Message 19 of 21 (2,119 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I'm experiencing this as well and this significantly helped as a workaround.  I have a sim who makes food that never spoils, so now apart from prepared group meals she's stocked up on, I put everything else that can't spoil into a chest.  It's not perfect, but it's a big difference, so thank you!

Message 20 of 21 (1,982 Views)