Default skin won't work in game

by simsical-musical

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Default skin won't work in game

★ Apprentice

I recently moved to a new computer and transferred all my files over. Everything worked perfectly fine before the move but once I got everything on my new computer, my default skin (the knight default skin by madmono) suddenly won't show up on my sims in game. I have other cc in the game, but I've tried removing all other cc and just putting in the knight skin and it still didn't show up. I've also tried resetting/repairing the game and clearing the cache. If it matters at all, my old computer was a mac and the new one is a windows 10. At this point, I'm super desperate and ready to try anything... I can't stand to play without it and I've been struggling with this issue for months, so I'm on Sims withdrawal!

Message 1 of 7 (6,526 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Default skin won't work in game

@simsical-musical  The flash drive should work, and it usually does.  But you can just zip up your saves folder, upload it to any free filesharing site (Google Drive, Dropbox, Mediafire...), and download it on your new computer.  It's best to transfer just the contents of saves and Tray, not the entire folder, as some cache files will be specific to the computer on which the game is running.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 6 of 7 (6,402 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]

@simsical-musical  It shouldn't matter that you're moving from macOS to Windows, but sometimes files, especially mods and custom content, can get corrupted during the transition.  Can you just download a new copy from wherever you originally found the skin?  If not, try uploading it to cloud storage from your Mac and downloading it onto your PC.  Zip it first (right-click and select Compress), in case the filehosting site doesn't handle .package files well.

Message 2 of 7 (6,515 Views)

★ Apprentice

I did try redownloading the skin from online several times and it still didn't work. Could the actual game files been corrupted in some way on the move? If so, how would I avoid that in transferring them again?

Message 3 of 7 (6,453 Views)

@simsical-musical  It's possible that other files were corrupted, yes.  But it's probably easier to test the skin first.  Try the skin in a clean game folder: move your entire Sims 4 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop, launch the game once to create a new folder, download the skin, and test it out.

Message 4 of 7 (6,449 Views)

★ Apprentice

OKAY! I followed your instructions with an entirely new folder and the skin worked. I guess it is my game files, so how would I go about transferring them hopefully without corrupting them? Originally I moved them through a flash drive.

Message 5 of 7 (6,427 Views)

@simsical-musical  The flash drive should work, and it usually does.  But you can just zip up your saves folder, upload it to any free filesharing site (Google Drive, Dropbox, Mediafire...), and download it on your new computer.  It's best to transfer just the contents of saves and Tray, not the entire folder, as some cache files will be specific to the computer on which the game is running.

Message 6 of 7 (6,403 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

After lots of trial and error with the folders, I finally got it! Thank you so so so much for your help, you honestly have no idea how much fixing the game means to me!

Message 7 of 7 (6,340 Views)