Re: Custom content not showing up

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Custom content not showing up

★ Novice

So i downloaded a custom skin overlay for the sims 3 and it isnt showing up in my downloads when i get on. I placed it in my mods/packages folder and i have the resource.cfg file. Please help

Message 1 of 4 (441 Views)

@kingslehh  There are a few different reasons why custom content wouldn't show in-game.  Some of these questions are simple, but I just want to cover all the bases.

Did you in fact download a .package file?  Sims3packs go into your Downloads folder to be installed through the launcher; .package files get added to Mods/Packages and won't show in the launcher's Installed Content tab.  Did you capitalize Mods and Packages?  Did you unzip the file—does it have a .package extension?  Are you sure it's a Sims 3 file and not one for Sims 2 or 4?  Did you delete the five cache files in your game folder?  They should be deleted any time you add or remove files from your Mods folder.  For reference, they are:

• CASPartCache.package
  • compositorCache.package
  • scriptCache.package
  • simCompositorCache.package
  • socialCache.package

There are some other possibilities too, but please first confirm that this is a .package file and your setup is correct, and let me know where the file isn't showing up in your game.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 4 (428 Views)

★ Novice

Yes, it is a .package file. I just deleted those files that you informed me about. The package is already unzipped.

Message 3 of 4 (356 Views)

@kingslehh  Okay, then can you please take a screenshot of the contents of your Packages folder and attach it to a post here?  Make sure to capture the bar above the list of files; that will show where the folder is located on your computer.  You can use Windows key-shift-S and then drag your cursor over the section of the screen you want to capture.  You can then open Paint or another image editing app and use crtl-v to paste the screenshot.  (On a mac, the keys are command-shift-4, and the screenshot will automatically appear on your desktop.)  When writing a post, use the Browse button to find the file you want.

The other thing to check is the last modified date on the deviceconfig file in Documents.  You can right-click on the file and select Properties (or Get Info on a mac) to see it.  The date should match the last time you launched TS3.  If it doesn't, that means the game is reading a different folder, which is why it's not loading your custom content.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 4 of 4 (349 Views)